Author Topic: Spinsters' Club Support Thread  (Read 88872 times)

Petticoats

Re: Spinsters' Club Support Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »
Reader, it's great that you're following up and continuing to go out and meet new people. I hope that not all of these guys will be as lame as the capricious dancer. Fie on him.

Pajamas + cats sounds very cozy. I'm starting to weaken in my stance about not getting another dog (mine died a few years ago). It's not logistically practical right now, but when I was on Regretsy I found myself cooing over pictures of Helen Killer's chihuahua. I will be a crazy dog lady instead of a crazy cat lady. At least that's one decision made. :)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2011, 01:05:45 PM »
Reader, it's great that you're following up and continuing to go out and meet new people. I hope that not all of these guys will be as lame as the capricious dancer. Fie on him.

Pajamas + cats sounds very cozy. I'm starting to weaken in my stance about not getting another dog (mine died a few years ago). It's not logistically practical right now, but when I was on Regretsy I found myself cooing over pictures of Helen Killer's chihuahua. I will be a crazy dog lady instead of a crazy cat lady. At least that's one decision made. :)

I luuuuuuuuuuuuurve Regretsy!

Cat pajamas:

http://www.google.com/#q=cat+pajamas&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=Y83TTtHTGYnI0QH2r6nNBg&sqi=2&ved=0CJQBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d9d741c6a5fd51a4&biw=1024&bih=566
The status is not quo!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »
Cats do not need pj's:

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »
The Most Boring Person Alive requests an invitation.

At least my art is okay.  :P

You can't be the Most Boring Person Alive.  I've held that title for years!  I have never been much of a party person, and I don't drink.   Even at parties, I'm dull.     I could go on for hours to convince you of my Extreme Dullness (and that's part of it, too).  LOL

I am so dull that my friends have never tried to set me up with a man of any kind, ever.  Even my family has never tried.  That's got to be some kind of record.

Hi, I'm 52, and I live with a cat.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:44:34 PM by LadyJaneinMD »

pinkyblue

« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
I had a surprisingly pleasant spinster's Thanksgiving this year, very restful and non-stressful.  I also seem to have gone into one of my "meh" phases about relationships/dating - not feeling worked up about it one way or the other.  Maybe it's because there's a lot of pre-Christmas activity and gatherings going on now, keeping me busy and focused on other things - nothing wrong with that! 

If we're going to have a Boring competition, I will sign up.  That's one of the hurdles I face when I think about trying online dating and writing a profile.  I don't do anything interesting, I have no creative talents, I work and take computer classes and read and watch movies and try occasionally to write and travel when I can - there's not a whole lot of to highlight.  I guess I'm more of a "your activity looks interesting, I'd like to try that" than a "join me in my passion for X" person. 

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2011, 11:24:06 AM »
Will be spending Christmas alone.........again. That's fine with me since I couldn't care less about Christmas anymore. I haven't even wrapped a present in years. For the last ten years or so Christmas "shopping" has been asking people for their Amazon.com WishList.

At least I got a good deal on a new laptop on CyberMonday, so I can play with that.  ;D

You can't be the Most Boring Person Alive.  I've held that title for years!

I'm the Most Boring Person Alive! I AM! I AM! I'm 38 and live by myself in an apartment the size of a closet and do my grocery shopping during the week so I don't have to go out on weekends. I'd have a cat but building doesn't allow pets.  :P

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2011, 12:40:47 PM »
You can't be the Most Boring Person Alive.  I've held that title for years!

I'm the Most Boring Person Alive! I AM! I AM! I'm 38 and live by myself in an apartment the size of a closet and do my grocery shopping during the week so I don't have to go out on weekends. I'd have a cat but building doesn't allow pets.  :P

<snicker> If we are having a boring contest... I go out grocery shopping when I need some excitement. Last week I went to the 24hr store at 2 am just for the heck of it.

However, I do not have an apartment the size of a closet. I need all the room I can get to store the rollerblades, craft supplies, etc that I am planning to use someday. Really I am! Just as soon as I finish surfing the net... ;)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2011, 01:12:56 PM »
;D  "I'm going to need more cats."  ;D 

I vote for it as our mantra/motto! or I will, as soon as I can stop laughing like a hyena.

I wish I could have more.  If I had a house I would have six.

Oh, I miss my kitty.  I haven't wanted to get another since Kitty Such passed, especially since I'm rarely home lately...not out dating or anything, just trying to make some social obligations and because work is...well, it's work.  But I do miss having the baby waiting for me at the door naggging me for treats.

The last few days have been rough...and today I was excited because I am getting together with other cheerful spinsters for a bizarre Christmas gathering:  pizza, brownies and watching "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil."  It has been an evil week and I was excited to have this to look forward to...but I woke up this morning with what was either a short term stomach flu or something I ate (and I can imagine what it was because I haven't been eating THAT much) or, most likely, a return of the stress related IBS  (Did I mention that this has been the week from h*ll in a long line of weeks from same?) 

I'm feeling better and finally had something to eat and will probably go back to bed, but...now I feel guilty that I may still try to go to the movie tonight.

Meanwhile, I am feeling fat, unloved and have been weeping because whenever I get five minutes to myself I either get sick or something else awful happens.  And there's been the tears over the fact that I haven't accomoplished any of the things I promised to do before this year is up....the novel is unwritten, the walls unpainted, the weight is still here....and I want someone to hug me and say "Honey, it's going to be okay.  It's okay7."

But I know from second hand experience that because I have someone to share a roof with doesn't equal him givng me lots of props.

Sigh...is there still room on the ledge?  I'll be sixty in three years and if I haven't gotten anything done by then, I am at least having a tattoo of a cat inked on my right shoulder and my family be darned.

Sorry this is so disjointed...I just have not been sleeping (thanks work) and I am not thinking straight. 

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »
*hugs Yarnspinner* Honey, it's OK. I promise it is. I totally know what you're going through.
The status is not quo!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
I know what you mean. I feel the same way.

Also, I'd like to go back in time to kick teenaged me in the rear end for not realizing how cute she was.

I'd like to kick 21-yo me and tell her, "Don't get involved with this guy.  He's bad news."  I almost married him, too, that's the creepy part.  I'm glad my Deity was watching over me and we decided mutually to end it.  Then I heard a few years later he was in prison for selling cocaine.  And he said I was stupid for letting him get away?  Not even.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
I know what you mean. I feel the same way.

Also, I'd like to go back in time to kick teenaged me in the rear end for not realizing how cute she was.

I'd like to kick 21-yo me and tell her, "Don't get involved with this guy.  He's bad news."  I almost married him, too, that's the creepy part.  I'm glad my Deity was watching over me and we decided mutually to end it.  Then I heard a few years later he was in prison for selling cocaine.  And he said I was stupid for letting him get away?  Not even.

Yeah, I'd like to tell 19-year-old me to just ignore that guy instead of setting myself up for 10+ years of on and off heartache.
The status is not quo!

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2011, 01:48:01 PM »
Resources for spinsters (heh):

First, I recommend the song "To Whom It May Concern" by The Civil Wars. I actually recommend anything by them (and if John Paul gets divorced, I have dibs!), but this song is awesome.

Also, some inspiration from Dar Williams:

Love took a long time, it followed me here
And it landed on light feet, and love whispered in my ear
Love spoke of my past as a valuable test
And smiled, and said she who loves last, loves best
'Cause you know life is hard, but now you also know your mind
So now you're going out love, but on your own side this time.

ETA: The Dar Williams song is "In Love but Not at Peace." It's on the album "The Honesty Room." "To Whom It May Concern" by The Civil Wars is on the album "Barton Hollow."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:11:41 PM by Wonderflonium »
The status is not quo!

Petticoats

« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
(((Yarnspinner))) Be gentle with yourself. We all have things we meant to get done this year. Your list is pretty similar to mine, actually. You're only human, and surviving another year in that incredibly stressful job is in itself an accomplishment.

Wonderflonium, thanks for your post and the musical inspiration. I'll have to look those songs up.

I saw my therapist yesterday, and she reminded me that even though the world can sometimes make us feel like freaks for being single, a huge proportion of women are single, and "something that common can't be a pathology," I think is how she put it. She's also gently trying to nudge me into being more active in internet dating. I know I need to... and I will... sometime.

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
I've been on okcupid for a couple of years and never really seemed to  find many matches even when they showed 80+ in comparison questions. Recently, I decided since my profile content was not getting me what I wanted, I erased it all and started over. Spoke from my heart about what a sap I am. Didn't get many responses at all from this one, except one day I got a message from some guy who said he had a lot of things in common with me even though his questions showed a low 70 score. Turns out he didn't answer many questions at all, hence the low score.

When I agreed to meet the guy, I found out we do really have more in common than the site let us share. And to think, I was not going to respond to him because he his messages to me were barely one-two lines of text. Turns out, a big difference we had...he is not a computer geek and had to have his friends help him with filling out the profile. He's a sweetie in person though.

I learned from this: it's not about the number of guys who make contact, but rather the quality of his character. The guys we want probably look pretty boring on profiles too. :/

Arizona

Petticoats

« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2011, 10:05:33 AM »
Yes, that's one of the frustrating things about online dating. All of the profiles seem to look the same: a couple of sentences saying they're looking for honesty and sincerity. Who isn't? I know that there are probably a lot of great guys whose profiles just don't reflect their individual qualities. For that matter, I'm not really happy with my own profile. I definitely need to rewrite it. Sometime.