Author Topic: Spinsters' Club Support Thread  (Read 94751 times)

Petticoats

Re: Spinsters' Club Support Thread
« Reply #645 on: December 08, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
I'm back from my work Christmas party and I have Christmas cookies and rum specials on offer.  I'm almost always the only single there.

(((hugs))), Outdoor Girl. That is a particularly unfun thing about spinsterdom. For me, especially, it's the annual celebrations. I see the same people every year, happily coupled, and each year I show up alone (and self-conscious about it).

I've been thinking about giving internet dating another try. My track record with it is dismal, but I'm just not in a situation to meet new prospects in real life. But I feel like I need to lose a lot of weight first... for my own self-confidence if nothing else.

But that would mean denying myself the consolation of spinster cookies and wine. :)

pinkyblue

« Reply #646 on: December 19, 2012, 12:53:02 AM »
I'm with you guys.  For the past decade or so, I've gone to office Christmas parties alone or with a friend.  It's still fun, but there's always that "aren't you bringing 'someone'?" factor. 

I'm still apprehensive about online dating, though it's pretty clear that's the next/only step.  Aside from the concrete challenges of the photo, profile, etc., I am just still so private-minded, it's hard for me to consider putting myself "out there" on the web, and, also, I really don't have a thick skin, so I'm not sure how well I'd handle the craziness and crudity I hear and read so much about.  Maybe I'm just hearing all the bad stuff, but still ... it's off-putting.  :(

Nikko-chan

« Reply #647 on: December 19, 2012, 01:00:23 AM »
Uh.... is there an age cap for this spinster thing?

pinkyblue

« Reply #648 on: December 19, 2012, 01:11:16 AM »
Gosh, I hope not!  :)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #649 on: December 19, 2012, 01:15:10 AM »
If you'll let someone as young as I am in I would like to be a part of this club... I have a feeling I won't get married. Heh.

Petticoats

« Reply #650 on: December 19, 2012, 10:51:54 AM »
I'm with you guys.  For the past decade or so, I've gone to office Christmas parties alone or with a friend.  It's still fun, but there's always that "aren't you bringing 'someone'?" factor. 

I'm still apprehensive about online dating, though it's pretty clear that's the next/only step.  Aside from the concrete challenges of the photo, profile, etc., I am just still so private-minded, it's hard for me to consider putting myself "out there" on the web, and, also, I really don't have a thick skin, so I'm not sure how well I'd handle the craziness and crudity I hear and read so much about.  Maybe I'm just hearing all the bad stuff, but still ... it's off-putting.  :(

I'm thinking seriously about venturing back into internet dating. Maybe I'm lucky, or chose the right sites, but I never really encountered nastiness, and the weirdness level was pretty low. But that was with paid sites. I've been looking at OK Cupid and I get the impression that it has a lot more of a hookup culture than Match.com or eHarmony. And I know I'm truly in a bad place when I start looking at the Craigslist personals. Those can get downright skin-crawly.

Of course, I only ever had one online match progress to the point of actually meeting in person, so it wasn't particularly useful. <sigh>

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #651 on: December 19, 2012, 01:18:48 PM »

Welcome to our ledge. Cookies are to your right, booze to the left. Straight ahead are the pillows and afghans. Since the holidays are in full swing, we're banning commercials- especially jewelry ones.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Reader

« Reply #652 on: December 19, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »

Welcome to our ledge. Cookies are to your right, booze to the left. Straight ahead are the pillows and afghans. Since the holidays are in full swing, we're banning commercials- especially jewelry ones.

I totally agree! 

For me the second worst is going out to events (like the Christmas Tree exhibit at our local museum, which I still haven't done yet) that are also big attractions for families all together on the holiday.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #653 on: December 19, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
Want to ban the perfume ads, too?

Just kidding; I'm a fragrance addict.

Petticoats

« Reply #654 on: December 19, 2012, 07:30:56 PM »
I don't have a functioning TV, so I don't know about fragrance ads, but the radio is overrun with jewelry ads.

caz

« Reply #655 on: December 20, 2012, 07:14:15 AM »
Want to ban the perfume ads, too?

Just kidding; I'm a fragrance addict.

Inevitable!  ???

Sorry, Chanel!

Petticoats

« Reply #656 on: December 20, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »
Well, I just deleted my account with OK Cupid. They sent me an email tonight suggesting that I "go out with a bang," pun intended, since the world is ending tomorrow. Stay classy, guys.  ::) Also: way to rub salt in the wound. We're done. (I'm sure that upsets them terribly.)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #657 on: December 20, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »
Oh, ew. I will rethink using them.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

greencat

« Reply #658 on: December 20, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »
Weird - I'm a member and haven't received an email like that...

Petticoats

« Reply #659 on: December 20, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »
Weird - I'm a member and haven't received an email like that...

LOL. Awesome, maybe they just save it for the really hopeless cases.