Author Topic: Spinsters' Club Support Thread  (Read 90150 times)

Octavia

Re: Spinsters' Club Support Thread
« Reply #660 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
I'd be honored to join the group, being happily single for over a year now and with no burning desire to change my status. I am a project manager in a large manufacturing facility, I perform my own home repairs, I installed my own car stereo (over 500 Watts), and I own more power tools than most construction contractors. I'm a woman who has become the man I used to want to marry  ;D
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Reader

« Reply #661 on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »
I'd be honored to join the group, being happily single for over a year now and with no burning desire to change my status. I am a project manager in a large manufacturing facility, I perform my own home repairs, I installed my own car stereo (over 500 Watts), and I own more power tools than most construction contractors. I'm a woman who has become the man I used to want to marry  ;D

Welcome!  I salute you!  Don't know if I'll ever install my own car stereo, but I do dream of owning a bunch of power tools, (I'm currently dreaming of a hand held drill), as I just got started building my collection of tools up last year.  I never thought I would need my own set because when I did share living space with a boyfriend he always had a set.  All I ever had was a small set geared towards women, with a small hammer, screwdrivers, etc.  My first thing to snag was a normal hammer, and man do I love it.

Octavia

« Reply #662 on: December 21, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »

Welcome!  I salute you!  Don't know if I'll ever install my own car stereo, but I do dream of owning a bunch of power tools, (I'm currently dreaming of a hand held drill), as I just got started building my collection of tools up last year.  I never thought I would need my own set because when I did share living space with a boyfriend he always had a set.  All I ever had was a small set geared towards women, with a small hammer, screwdrivers, etc.  My first thing to snag was a normal hammer, and man do I love it.
You've got a good start on the tool collection! I started out by getting the Sears Craftsman Club card and watching for sales on their tools. First it was a hammer, screwdriver sets, then a collection of wrenches, a level, an electric drill, and more and more until I had to buy a tool chest for everything. Oh, and the shop vac, which can also be used as a leaf blower.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

greencat

« Reply #663 on: December 23, 2012, 02:49:41 AM »
I, uh, definitely own more tools and have more construction/home improvement/car repair skills than any of my male friends. 

However, while dating, I've noticed that many men actually find this to be attractive.

pinkyblue

« Reply #664 on: December 25, 2012, 02:44:30 PM »
Merry Christmas to my fellow spinsters who celebrate today!  :)  I hope you're all doing OK - or better than OK! 

My holidays this year turned out to be the "alone but not lonely" kind, for which I'm thankful, because if ever I get down in the dumps about being single, it almost always happens at Christmas time, and it's No Fun At All when that happens.  I've had a lot of interesting things happen lately and am starting some new projects, which are keeping me occupied and happy.  I'll be with friends later in the day for their dinner and gift exchange, and they don't make me feel like a fifth wheel, so - this holiday season gets a B+/A- from me.  :)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #665 on: December 25, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »
Home alone with a cold.  Called Brunhilde yesterday afternoon to let her know and didn't realize then that I would feel even worse today.

Off to make more tea.

greencat

« Reply #666 on: December 25, 2012, 05:58:52 PM »
Had to work all day today, and have to work tomorrow, preventing me from visiting my family (partly my own fault, because I volunteered to work to avoid the extended family, only to find out that my immediate family also had enough of them and aren't going there this holiday either.)

I am spending my holiday with my favorite boys:  my cats and Dean and Sam Winchester (I've gotten two episodes behind on Supernatural!)

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #667 on: December 28, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »
Well I am not in a relationsh!p again.  Just two busy people that can't/won't commit to more but I am okay with it.  Will probably try again in the spring when we both slow down a bit.

Spent Christmas day with my daughters & grandsons.  We all cooked a little and cleaned up a little so none of us were overwhelmed with cooking or cleaning.  We all got a good nap, the weather was horrendous so we all stayed indoors, it was pleasant. 

So for us three - the only males in sight are 6 months and 3 years old, ha,ha. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #668 on: December 31, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
Christmas is OK for me - I have my Dad, brother and nephews to spend it with.  And my brother and I made it through several days without fighting or sniping at each other!   :)  I'm even going up there at the end of the month for a couple of days since I'm taking a course in his city.  Saves my employer a bit of money.

My issue is New Year's Eve.  I do have friends but they all have families and are an hour and half away.  I'd like nothing more than to have a house party with lots of finger food and card or board games, champagne at midnight.  But I just don't know anybody well enough in my current city to do this.

So I'm sitting here by myself, having my own little Harry Potter marathon.  I've just started the first movie; I'll probably watch at least part of a second one tonight and watch a bunch of them tomorrow.  And I'm currently enjoying a rum special.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #669 on: January 01, 2013, 12:41:11 AM »
I hear you- I was on my own for both this year. Not so easy.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Reader

« Reply #670 on: January 02, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »
I spent my New Years with a friend.  Instead of the happy time I thought we would spend, I ended up listening to her talk about all the things upsetting her about her marriage.  Which was fine, as she never normally does this, and she really needed an ear to listen and a big hug.  Then get home and have an almost 2 hour conversation with my ex.  Guess he was lonely, and also wanted me to come over to talk and meet his new dog.  Then all by myself on the New Year, except when I was out picking up my old mug from my brewery to make room for this year's mug and having a few beers. Did manage to finish off "Deadlocked" by Charlene Harris while I was there.  ;D

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #671 on: January 03, 2013, 07:58:53 AM »
I hear you- I was on my own for both this year. Not so easy.

The first year I spent the holidays alone, I was unhappy and lonely.   But I CHOSE it that way.  I realized that I had been spending years where I worry for weeks ahead of the holiday, then days afterwards crying, and that was IT. 

Now I actually enjoy my holidays alone.  I sit and sew and watch tv, usually sappy Christmas movies, and I'm very content with the whole business.  No more worrying or crying at all. 

Petticoats

« Reply #672 on: February 14, 2013, 10:40:57 AM »
Bumping up the thread to rally sister-spinster support on the loathsome Valentine's Day. Anyone else in a spectacularly bad mood?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #673 on: February 14, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
I have a bottle of sparkling wine in my fridge from New Years that I was thinking about drinking tonight.  Except for the fact that I have to work tomorrow and I don't particularly care to do that with a massive hangover.   :P
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Petticoats

« Reply #674 on: February 14, 2013, 10:50:46 AM »
I have a bottle of sparkling wine in my fridge from New Years that I was thinking about drinking tonight.  Except for the fact that I have to work tomorrow and I don't particularly care to do that with a massive hangover.   :P

I know what you mean! I'm turning toward ice cream more and more often as my drug of choice because it doesn't have the hangover effect. Tonight it's salted caramel gelato. Mmm.