Author Topic: Spinsters' Club Support Thread  (Read 90142 times)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Re: Spinsters' Club Support Thread
« Reply #705 on: June 04, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »
Checking in on all my fellow spinsters.  I'm still out on the ledge, there are a couple of interests, but I don't think they have much chance of staying power.  One is very religious, while I'm not and is about a month post break up with his out of state girlfriend, and the other I have hanged out with 4 times with him not evening make the move to kiss me.  And these were preceded by a quite a few men messging me just to play scrabble, or men that were way too old for me to date.  While my friends (who I love, I was in their wedding) just celebrated 8 years together today and the birth of their 3rd child a few months back  :'(

How about you take the lead and kiss him? Or ask if he wants to kiss?

That is, if you actually want to kiss him. Because there is a difference between "would not mind- and may even be flattered- if he kissed me" and "I want to kiss him".

Then again, I am an aggressive person.
I have pet mice!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #706 on: June 04, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Maybe the rest of you can advise me how to convince my shrink that I'm out of the game permanently and don't want to get back in?  He seems to think I should come out of retirement on this and I don't want to.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #707 on: June 04, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
Winterlight, we should get together and celebrate our birthdays.  I have all the makings for mojitos, including the fresh mint in my garden!  Anyone else want to come?   :D

I'll bring the pina coladas!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #708 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »
As long as you don't make me drink them.   :)  Not a fan of the coconut.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Waterlight

« Reply #709 on: June 05, 2013, 04:31:45 AM »
Hi everybody!  So cool that there's a support thread for others like me here!   8)

I'm 43 (well, 44 in a couple of weeks), and I gave up on d@ting a year or so ago.  I have had so many people suggest eHarmony or Match.com as a way to meet a potential partner--Been There, Done That, and I wasn't happy with the results at all.   ::)

And the only interest I was getting IRL was from married men looking for something on the side, or single men looking for casual Scrabble--neither of which I PERSONALLY agree with from a moral standpoint. (YMMV.)

I've been in a few serious (i.e. to the point where marriage was discussed) rel@tionships--but after my last Very Bad Mistake in that area, I'd rather be single for the rest of my life than be in another bad rel@tionship.

As long as there are drinks offered, I'd like a virgin mojito, please.  (I'm clean and sober and can't have the hard stuff!)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:34:06 AM by Waterlight »
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Stormtreader

« Reply #710 on: June 05, 2013, 10:37:47 AM »
Hi!
Im another married man magnet it would seem, I always joke that im not hitting my target market somehow since married men, gay men and women seem to think im great :D

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #711 on: June 05, 2013, 11:00:08 AM »
I turn 40 on July 25th.

No marriage, no kids, schizoid personality, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  ;D

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #712 on: June 05, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »
Maybe the rest of you can advise me how to convince my shrink that I'm out of the game permanently and don't want to get back in?  He seems to think I should come out of retirement on this and I don't want to.
If he brings this up out of the blue I am not sure what to do aside from change the subject, but if you are bringing it up in any way at all I would just stop mentioning it.  Make it clear that since you are fine with being single, it just wouldn't be a topic to discuss.  Just like you wouldn't discuss in depth your decision to wear pants, or to drink water.  It's just not an issue!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #713 on: June 05, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
As long as there are drinks offered, I'd like a virgin mojito, please.  (I'm clean and sober and can't have the hard stuff!)

I quite often make them when I want a refreshing drink.  They're really good.

I 'cheat' making mine:  I buy the Rose's Lime Cordial, cut the mint leaves fresh out of the garden and stuff them in the bottle of cordial to infuse and then leave it in the fridge.  When I want to make mojitos, I pour the cordial and rum (or not) into a glass, add club soda and ice and a sprig of fresh mint for garnish.  If I want it a bit sweeter, I'll used a little maple syrup, rather than simple syrup.

Stormtreader, that's it, exactly.  I don't have married men hitting on me but I have lots of friends who are married men who, fortunately, have very secure wives who don't worry about them doing things with me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #714 on: June 05, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »
You can also fake the taste of red wine by combining 3 parts unsweetened pomegranate juice with one part apple juice.

NyaChan

« Reply #715 on: June 05, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »

"I hadn't realized you were going into matchmaking!  Do have cards made up yet?  I have a friend or two that might be interested.  Luckily, I will not be requiring your services as I am content as is."

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #716 on: June 10, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »
I may not attract married men (yet), but I'm pretty tired of the men that are shoved in my path.

As a 30 year old single woman who goes to church, it feels like everybody there knows somebody who would be "perfect" for me, which translates to "they're single too!"

There was the guy who believed we were dating and were fated to marry even though he never had a conversation with me.

There's been the man who's old enough to be my father and is bitterly divorced, to the point where his ex-wife has a restraining order, his kids refuse to see him and he's barred from his children's school (and quite frankly, I don't blame them!)

Now there's the boy who's almost 10 years younger than me and has some kind of social anxiety order or mental handicap so that he never makes eye contact, but instead stares at my chest and pants heavily.

If these are my only choices, are they really surprised I'd rather be single?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #717 on: June 10, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »
I may not attract married men (yet), but I'm pretty tired of the men that are shoved in my path.

As a 30 year old single woman who goes to church, it feels like everybody there knows somebody who would be "perfect" for me, which translates to "they're single too!"

If these are my only choices, are they really surprised I'd rather be single?

You just hit on my one very huge pet peeve about being single and people trying to "find" someone for you. Just because i am single and they are doens't mean we have anything in common!  My mom' BF tried to do this to me on more than one ocassion. I told my mom I think she sees me as her third daughter she needs to marry off! 

One time at Easter, with the son of a friend. She actually wanted her one daughters to go with me to her friend's house, where the son was, to "introduce" me. Thankfully both her daughter, who I am friendly with and me put the veto on that idea. And she really means well, but I just wanted to say to her "so besides the fact we are both single, do we have ANYTHING in common at all? do you know?" and also tell her there could be 100 reasons he's still single too, one of them being perhaps he doesn't care for the ladies!!!!

And then there are those well meaning, but clueless people, like my one friend, who said to me once "we need to find you man" Really? why is that? adn then proceeded to tell me her pastor was single, but desperate. oh, and did I mention I live in NJ and she's in TX?

Reader

« Reply #718 on: June 10, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »
Checking in on all my fellow spinsters.  I'm still out on the ledge, there are a couple of interests, but I don't think they have much chance of staying power.  One is very religious, while I'm not and is about a month post break up with his out of state girlfriend, and the other I have hanged out with 4 times with him not evening make the move to kiss me.  And these were preceded by a quite a few men messging me just to play scrabble, or men that were way too old for me to date.  While my friends (who I love, I was in their wedding) just celebrated 8 years together today and the birth of their 3rd child a few months back  :'(

How about you take the lead and kiss him? Or ask if he wants to kiss?

That is, if you actually want to kiss him. Because there is a difference between "would not mind- and may even be flattered- if he kissed me" and "I want to kiss him".

Then again, I am an aggressive person.

He doesn't really give me good opportunity to try, as all the time we are hanging out is with his firends and I wouldn't be comfortable having a first kiss with an audience.  It might be a moot point anyways as I didn't hear from him all weekend.

Reader

« Reply #719 on: June 11, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
Just got to congratulate my third friend in 3 days after they told me they had gotten into a relationship  ;D  Makes me wonder what's in the water around here and why haven't I gotten a dose?