Author Topic: Spinsters' Club Support Thread  (Read 90593 times)

greencat

Re: Spinsters' Club Support Thread
« Reply #840 on: May 19, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
My current job has rendered my schedule incompatible with 90% of people's schedules, and I don't have time to properly meet someone.  I'm considering online dating again, but...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #841 on: May 20, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
Having lost some weight, and feeling good about how I look, I've toyed with the idea of dipping my toes into the online dating pool. Then I think wait, you get ONE day a week off, and find it hard to make time for your friends…how would making time for a perfect stranger be any different/easier? So I’m living vicariously through a relative’s online dating escapades. Which I have to say are quite entertaining, but also make me want to shake her as she’s used a couple of them to get something she wants. She’s also the queen of TMI. She’s been “seeing” someone for a month or so. Who she apparently hit it off quite well with.  And while I don’t care how she conducts her private life, simply telling me that she spent the night at his place on their second date is more than enough info. But she also felt the need to tell me that he had small hands, which, when I told her isn’t always true, was, and that his scrabble technique was not up to her liking, I wanted to put my fingers in my ears and sing “lalalalalalalalala”

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #842 on: May 20, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
Actually, online dating may be the easiest way to meet prospective romantic partners if you have a full time job plus an active social life, but are not meeting prospects otherwise.

It worked for me. I work full time, have many friends, several social activities, take group fitness classes at the gym often, belong to professional organizations, and travel for leisure and business relatively often. But no luck in romance. Until I joined eHarmony. Two very happy years and counting.

An online dating site will lead you to screen out for compatibility and commonality (and possibly even chemistry) before having to go on a date IRL. It can be very efficient. It is a system that many people enjoy using.

I have pet mice!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #843 on: May 21, 2014, 03:43:35 PM »
Actually, online dating may be the easiest way to meet prospective romantic partners if you have a full time job plus an active social life, but are not meeting prospects otherwise.

It worked for me. I work full time, have many friends, several social activities, take group fitness classes at the gym often, belong to professional organizations, and travel for leisure and business relatively often. But no luck in romance. Until I joined eHarmony. Two very happy years and counting.

An online dating site will lead you to screen out for compatibility and commonality (and possibly even chemistry) before having to go on a date IRL. It can be very efficient. It is a system that many people enjoy using.

I agree. My problem is I don't have/aren't ready to make enough free time to do it properly. I don't know anyone who knows anyone in my age group that's single and available, so online really is my only option.

And I've never really dated a lot in my life, and certainly not recentlyl, so I'm a bit gun shy. Not to mention just plain shy, and uncomfortable in dating situations. But when I'm ready, I'm all in. Just don't know when that will be :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #844 on: June 17, 2014, 11:45:28 AM »
I've been tempted to post in the 'hook-ups' section of a dating website, to deal with my issues.  But I'm so shy in dating situations, as well as having an allergy to latex, that I'm not sure I'll ever go through with it.  (Did you know that a box of non-latex c0ndoms costs 25% more than latex, for half as many?  I didn't buy them.)

Today, I did something really silly.  I made a list of the people I would invite to my non-existent wedding.  I saved it, titled, 'The list that will never be used'.   :P

I think I'm having a mid-life crisis...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #845 on: June 17, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »
The great thing about having a schizoid personality is that when you're all alone....you just love it.  ;D

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #846 on: June 17, 2014, 07:31:55 PM »
I've been tempted to post in the 'hook-ups' section of a dating website, to deal with my issues.  But I'm so shy in dating situations, as well as having an allergy to latex, that I'm not sure I'll ever go through with it.  (Did you know that a box of non-latex c0ndoms costs 25% more than latex, for half as many?  I didn't buy them.)

Today, I did something really silly.  I made a list of the people I would invite to my non-existent wedding.  I saved it, titled, 'The list that will never be used'.   :P

I think I'm having a mid-life crisis...

Maybe you are.

And maybe you should post in the hook up section because this is not the forum to bemoan your lack of a sex life. This is the second time I've had to mention it to you, so please be more circumspect in your posts.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

JoW

« Reply #847 on: June 17, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
I'm facing a job change and a move to a different city.  That means selling my house.  Last time I did that I had a spouse.  This time, by myself, will be a whole lot harder. 

greencat

« Reply #848 on: June 17, 2014, 10:49:13 PM »
I've established that my work schedule is more or less incompatible with developing a relationship at this point in my life - it would have been great when I was in college and most potential partners were working retail or food service, but it's terrible now that most of my potential partners are young professionals with 9-5 jobs.  I do have two days off a week, but unfortunately they're not the right two days for the singles scene, and I have enough friends that my time tends to end up pretty well occupied.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #849 on: June 17, 2014, 11:04:19 PM »
I've just given up. After going through a divorce, I simply don't have the desire to go back through all the rigamorole of dating

random numbers

« Reply #850 on: July 16, 2014, 11:25:51 PM »
My ex, (we have a mostly good post relationship thing) I think is dating someone. I don't really want to know, and I hope he's doing well with it, but that means my plus one is gone. I don't even know if I want a relationship, but I'd like, you know, someone. Vacation buddy, plus one, whatever. Something.