News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 21, 2017, 03:56:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spinsters' Club Support Thread  (Read 208066 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Spinsters' Club Support Thread
« Reply #870 on: June 02, 2015, 11:03:52 AM »
Bumping this thread to say...

I think I'm out of the club.  It's been over three months since that first date and we are still together.  We've managed some hurdles, mostly in his life at the moment, with no arguing or gnashing of teeth.  I've been pushing him to get a few things done that he's been procrastinating on and worried that I'm nagging but he doesn't feel that way.  We're spending more and more time together each week and I can't believe how easy it has been to integrate him into my life.  I've been alone so long that I thought I'd feel smothered or feel like he was constantly underfoot when together but I haven't felt that way at all.  I was worried about being able to sleep, sharing a bed.  Except for having to wear earplugs due to his snoring?  I sleep better when he's there.  And I definitely did not expect that!

Things are going so well that we have been talking long term.  Not planning per se but discussing it.  And we find we are on the same page on almost everything.  It is so surreal.

After 25 + years of looking - and hoping - I've found someone who thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread and he keeps telling me that I've shown him more respect and caring in 3 months than he got in the 20 years of his marriage.  He is so not what I thought I was looking for.  But it's working.

So I'm happy to come out on the ledge with you all anytime and bring cookies and rum specials but I don't think I'm going to need to have the favour returned.  :)
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY. Sorry, I had to shout. I just hope, when I'm ready to get out there and look, I have the same results. I'm terrified of not being able to "adjust" or put up with someone in my life, constantly, after being alone for so long. But so many people have told me if and when you meet the right person, you will know. And your story gives me hope!  So keep it up, and keep your fingers crossed for me :)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #871 on: June 02, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »
That is awesome outdoor girl!!!

Luci

« Reply #872 on: June 02, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »
That is awesome outdoor girl!!!

Hope it works out. We know you'll keep us posted!

Just be happy.

Lynn2000

« Reply #873 on: June 02, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »
Congrats, Outdoor Girl! I remember your posts here, and whenever you mentioned your boyfriend in other threads I got a little smile on my face, glad it was going well for you. :)
~Lynn2000

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #874 on: June 02, 2015, 02:37:02 PM »
Thanks, everyone.   :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Ginger G

« Reply #875 on: June 02, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »
That's great Outdoor Girl, I'm happy for you!  I started dating my DH when I was almost 41 and we got married when I was 46 (one and a half years ago).  I had pretty much given up on finding anybody that was compatible for me for the long run, so I thought I would be in the spinsters club for life (not that there's anything wrong with that).  Anyway, best wishes to you and your guy!

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #876 on: June 02, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »
I've put my dating life on hold until I'm sure about a potential change coming up at work that will significantly affect my schedule.  I'm so busy anyway I'm not sure when I'd be able to go out on dates!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #877 on: August 21, 2015, 02:40:26 PM »
Bumping to say...

Today is the 6 month anniversary of our first date.  We've had to postpone celebrating for logistical reasons but plan on a nice dinner out on the Labour Day weekend.

We still have yet to have any sort of a fight.  Barely even any mild disagreements.  We both have tempers so it's weird that there have been no issues that way.  And a bit of a relief.  Nice, calm, rational conversation beats yelling any day.  Even for someone who *likes* to yell sometimes.  (That would be me.)

Still talking long term but he has to get divorced before anything can happen, though there are some preliminary things we can do.  His ex is dragging her feet and has unrealistic expectations of what she should receive in support and in the division of assets so that's stressing him out but not stressing our relationship.  But she's apparently talking about moving back to her hometown so that may hurry the process along a little so she can get everything finalized before she goes.

I've been helping him help out his parents.  They have a wood burning furnace and so have to get the wood in and under cover so it's good and dry before winter.  We did most of it the first weekend in August.  I think his parents will be really mad at him if we ever break up.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Nikko-chan

« Reply #878 on: August 21, 2015, 02:56:49 PM »
Awesome update!

greencat

« Reply #879 on: August 21, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »
I've also un-spinstered lately!  We've been dating two and a half months...and I could not have special ordered someone more perfect for me.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #880 on: August 21, 2015, 03:32:08 PM »
Awesome.

Comes when you least expect it, doesn't it?  Though I wish it could have come around 10 to 20 years earlier...  :)
Ontario

greencat

« Reply #881 on: August 21, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
I had actually stopped trying to date when a mutual friend started inviting him out to our big group outings.  He wasn't initially looking to date either but we really hit it off and both decided we didn't want to be single anymore.  I did everything short of hiring a skywriter to make sure he got the message that I was interested in him  ;)