Author Topic: Spinsters' Club Support Thread  (Read 77011 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: Spinsters' Club Support Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2011, 01:16:42 PM »
*dusting off the ledge and pulling up a seat* I've been there. I've so been there. When I was in my late 20s, my aunt used to remind me that she didn't get married until she was 29. Now that I'm 33, I'm treated like I'm the sad old spinster who can't hook a man. Luckily I have a (married, of course) friend who does understand, so I can vent to her, but it's hard.

Also, I find that as I get older, people are more interested in my cats. Am I just paranoid, or do they think that's all I have going on?
The status is not quo!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
I thought about bringing drinks but I was worried about falling off the ledge.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2011, 01:18:32 PM »
I thought about bringing drinks but I was worried about falling off the ledge.   ;D

*LOL* I had the same thought! Man, too bad Spoder's gone; she volunteers to bring cookies.
The status is not quo!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2011, 01:19:23 PM »
I can bring cookies.  I start my Christmas baking on Sunday.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »
Yay for cookies Outdoor Girl!  ;D
The status is not quo!

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2011, 01:21:28 PM »

*LOL* I had the same thought! Man, too bad Spoder's gone; she volunteers to bring cookies.

But if we fall off the ledge then we can call the firefighters to come rescue us  :D

Arizona

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
Still, it better be a low ledge!
The status is not quo!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2011, 01:38:18 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then the ex boyfriend calls. *sigh* Once again, he thinks I need to give him just one more chance. Of course he calls me today, when I got that "congrats on your wedding" e-mail after spending Sunday at my cousin's bridal shower. Which of course makes me wonder if he's my only chance....

Spoder, where on earth are those cookies?! I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed them.

No, no, no, no, no!  Don't think like that!  I did, and I was miserable!  I was convinced that Person A was my only chance to get married.  He was a decent sort, but personality-wise we really weren't right for each other, and had we gotten married it would have been a disaster.  My sister did marry the guy she thought was her only chance (he told her that he was the best she'd ever get, so she'd better grab him before he was snapped up by someone else, and in retrospect I wish he had been) and she ended up divorcing him seven years and three kids later.

I know I'm not eligible for membership, but I didn't get married until I was 39 so I've been through a lot of the same things most of y'all have been through. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
Sirius, you can be an associate member.  As long as you promise to bring drinks and cookies.  ;D
Ontario

Reader

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2011, 02:15:48 PM »
I volunteer to fall off the ledge because hey some of those firemen could be single!

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2011, 02:19:08 PM »
I volunteer to fall of the ledge because I'm probably going to do it anyway.  ;D (I'm wicked clumsy.)
The status is not quo!

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »
*pads the place below the ledge with a feather down mattress*  "I've fallen and can't get up!"   ;D

Arizona

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
*pads the place below the ledge with a feather down mattress*  "I've fallen and can't get up!"   ;D

More like, 'I've fallen and I can't reach my mojito!'   :D
Ontario

Petticoats

« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2011, 02:33:19 PM »
 :) Sister ledge residents, y'all made me laugh. Thank you for your solidarity and support and good humor!

Larrabee

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
In one of my lectures yesterday the lecturer was talking about nursing in the late 19th and early 20th century, about how the nurses would train at 16ish and work until they got married at 22ish then they'd stop to be full time wives and mothers, only the spinsters stayed working as nurses and eventually ended up as the matrons running the hospitals. 

I was feeling strangely self-conscious throughout!  Goes to show though, there have always been women who for whatever reason just didn't get married, they still made a valuable contribution to society even in the days when the pressure to marry was even more extreme than it is now.