Author Topic: Spinsters' Club Support Thread  (Read 93039 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Spinsters' Club Support Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »
Absolutely.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2011, 10:48:43 PM »
Tomorrow I will be making broccoli soup and if I'm feeling ambitious, Grasshopper Pie.  Anyone up for that?

Petticoats

« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2011, 07:58:26 AM »
A friend of mine who got married in October just posted pictures from her wedding. They are gorgeous, she is happy and glowing, and it is all wonderful. I'm really, really happy for her. I'm also dead jealous. *sigh* She got married in my dream venue. I'm tired of planning other people's weddings; I want to plan mine!

(((Wonderflonium))) I know how you feel. I'm sorry.

I may have mentioned before that I live around the corner from a bridal gown boutique. I pass it very nearly every time I leave my house. The window display is like a constant taunt: "You'll never wear one of these! Mwahahaha!"

But that's on a bad day. Today (she says bravely, straightening her shoulders and fixing her jaw) will not be one of those days. Today, if I feel bad about something, it will be being stalled on my novel, which is a conundrum for the NaNoWriMo thread and not this one. :)

I wish us all good mojo today and this weekend. May we be reminded of the good things about being spinsters.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2011, 09:51:22 AM »
I've come to realize that I will never be married and will always be alone, and I'm okay with it. It's better to be alone and be comfortable than live to with someone just for the sake of having someone and be miserable.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »
I've come to realize that I will never be married and will always be alone, and I'm okay with it. It's better to be alone and be comfortable than live to with someone just for the sake of having someone and be miserable.

Preach on, sister! I want to get married, but I'd rather be single than settle.

I am sad, however, that I'll never get a wedding. *sigh* If I'm not married by 40, I'm throwing myself a killer birthday party.
The status is not quo!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »

I am sad, however, that I'll never get a wedding. *sigh* If I'm not married by 40, I'm throwing myself a killer birthday party.

I'm there with you.  I didn't throw myself a killer party but I did have an 'All about me' day.  I had a 1.5 hour long massage, I got my hair cut, I got a mani/pedi, and I went out for dinner!  One of my best friends turned 40 two weeks after I did.  Her BF, now DH, organized a trip for her and invited other people along, including me.  So I flew across the country for a long weekend!   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Larrabee

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »

Just don't post about it on here when you do, the idea that single adults deserve to be celebrated once in their life is not a popular one and seems to attract very mean spirited comments.  ::)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »

I'm there with you.  I didn't throw myself a killer party but I did have an 'All about me' day.  I had a 1.5 hour long massage, I got my hair cut, I got a mani/pedi, and I went out for dinner!  One of my best friends turned 40 two weeks after I did.  Her BF, now DH, organized a trip for her and invited other people along, including me.  So I flew across the country for a long weekend!   ;D

Me Three!  I always take off on my birthday, at least halfa day, and as its right before Christmas, I go to the mall, and wander and look at all the pretty things, and then buy myself something.  last year's mall had a cheesecake factory so I got a slice of chocolate raspberry truffle, made a dinner of yummy appetizers, and had my cake.  it was nice!

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »
I have never really thrown a party myself- just have had outings to restaurants or other places.

The idea of a BWW intimidates me with all the planning and details- keeping track of all the details and stuff. I did not want a Quinceanera or debutante ball. I want to keep things rather simple. I am more countess than princess...yet would love to be princess for a day.

I have pet mice!

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »
I have never really thrown a party myself- just have had outings to restaurants or other places.

The idea of a BWW intimidates me with all the planning and details- keeping track of all the details and stuff. I did not want a Quinceanera or debutante ball. I want to keep things rather simple. I am more countess than princess...yet would love to be princess for a day.

I know it sounds weird but I just want an excuse to wear a ball gown while wearing roller skates. :) I can do that at my birthday party right? :D

Arizona

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »

I totally agree that I'd rather be single than settle.

But it's not the wedding I mourn as time keeps passing.  It's mommyhood.  I've wanted to be a mom since I was, oh, 6.  Maybe 5.  Perhaps even 4.  In other words, as far back as I can remember, I have always wanted to be a mother.

But I also do NOT want to try to adopt and bring a child, intentionally, into a single parent household.  (Religious beliefs, personal philosophy, etc.) 

While I'd love to wear the poofy ball gown, and dance in an elegant waltz, the rest of the wedding process is pretty much take it or leave it for me.

Petticoats

« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2011, 12:26:39 PM »
I'm so, so lucky that at least I don't have a strong desire for children. (I did back in the dark ages of my brief engagement, but it died along with my love for Mr. Flaky.) I'm also very lucky that my mom works with babies and doesn't pressure me to give her grandchildren. She adores babies and is wonderful with them, and would have made a wonderful grandmother.  :(

And I absolutely know that settling for a not-right mate is not for me.

But grilled cheesus, I get tired of years passing without love. The holidays are really ghastly since they seem like check-in points on life, and I'm dissatisfied with my career, too, so all around it's just kind of sucky right now.

Will y'all give me a gentle kick and a reminder that, at 42, I have not totally missed my window for romantic (and, for that matter, career) happiness?

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
But grilled cheesus

Love this!  I tend to say "Cheese and Rice!"

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2011, 12:37:34 PM »

Just don't post about it on here when you do, the idea that single adults deserve to be celebrated once in their life is not a popular one and seems to attract very mean spirited comments.  ::)

I think that's terrible!  If you want to celebrate your life, go for it, and tell the naysayers to stick a sock in it. 

Petticoats

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
But grilled cheesus

Love this!  I tend to say "Cheese and Rice!"

:) Glee introduced me to this phrase... not sure if it's the origin.

In other news, getting out for a little sunshine at lunch improved my outlook. My apologies for my attack of maudlinity.