Author Topic: Spinsters' Club Support Thread  (Read 88092 times)

random numbers

Re: Spinsters' Club Support Thread
« Reply #780 on: October 28, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »
I loved this idea the first time I read about it:

"Parker and his wife Joan separated at one point but then came to an unusual arrangement: she lived on one floor of a large townhouse, he on another, and they shared the others. This living arrangement is mirrored in Spenser's private life: his girlfriend, Susan, had an aversion to marriage and living together full-time. Living separately suited them both, although they were fully committed to each other."

Robert B. Parker (deceased) and his wife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_B._Parker#Personal_life

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #781 on: October 28, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter have an arrangement like that.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

daen

« Reply #782 on: October 28, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »
For what it's worth, I thought I would have a difficult time adapting to sharing a small house with my husband. I had lived there, alone, for years, and I had my own way of doing things.  Surprisingly, we've had virtually no problems getting used to each other, bar a difference of opinion or two about when the TV should be on or off.

Not that this ease of adaptation is universal by any stretch, but it does happen occasionally.

/end threadjack

greencat

« Reply #783 on: November 12, 2013, 04:01:39 AM »
I think, that barring future revelation of major character flaws, that I might have finally met Mr. Right instead of Mr. Right Now.  He's my perfect guy physically, and I find his personality (interests, demeanor, intellect) as attractive as the outer packaging.  He's also interested in me.  And single.  He just moved into the area for work, so that isn't as big a surprise as it should be.

Petticoats

« Reply #784 on: November 12, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »
Still no prospects here. I'm looking to change jobs, and I have to admit, it's occurred to me that it might be smart to look for work somewhere that I'll meet possible romantic prospects. Publishing is dominated by women, so maybe it's time to leave publishing. Any suggestions?  :D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #785 on: November 12, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »
Find work in Alaska, the Yukon, the North West Territories or Nunavut?  The proportion of men to women in especially the smaller towns is definitely in our favour.   ;D

greencat, here's hoping it works out.  You can still drop by for the cookies and booze.    ;)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Petticoats

« Reply #786 on: November 12, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
Find work in Alaska, the Yukon, the North West Territories or Nunavut?  The proportion of men to women in especially the smaller towns is definitely in our favour.   ;D

greencat, here's hoping it works out.  You can still drop by for the cookies and booze.    ;)

I've read that it's actually incredibly uncomfortable to be a woman in Alaska and other places where the ratio is so skewed--there's an expectation that you *owe* it to the men there to go out with them and party with them, and it sounds like they can be pretty boorish. Besides, I'm from Georgia. I'd die in that cold. :)

Has anyone created a dating service for inhibited intellectuals? That's more my speed.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #787 on: November 12, 2013, 11:18:56 AM »
LOL.  Yeah, me too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #788 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »
As an Alaskan woman, I can say that I never experienced that. The guys I knew were perfectly polite and took turn-downs philosophically.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Petticoats

« Reply #789 on: November 12, 2013, 11:47:04 AM »
As an Alaskan woman, I can say that I never experienced that. The guys I knew were perfectly polite and took turn-downs philosophically.

That's good to hear. I'm still going to try to avoid moving anyplace that's so cold, though.  :)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #790 on: November 12, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
Yesterday in Target I was looking at this:

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #791 on: November 12, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »
LOL.  That's AWESOME.  My two would love it.  Or at least Sassy would.  Peggy'd get to one of the first levels and say, 'This is as good a place as any for a nap.'
Ontario

nuit93

« Reply #792 on: November 12, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
Yesterday in Target I was looking at this:

Isn't that one of the sets that can be bought by individual piece?  We have a couple of them.  The old cats wouldn't go near them but the littlest loved it when she was a wee kitten!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #793 on: November 12, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »
Yes.  I didn't buy because I realized I don't have adequate space for even half of that.  Anyway, the first priority was to get enough Fancy Feast to get past New Year's Day.

greencat

« Reply #794 on: November 12, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »
I need to buy this cat furniture.