Author Topic: Mussels?  (Read 955 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Mussels?
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:54:46 PM »
My Dad is not a seafood fan, and as a result we didn't eat a lot of it growing up.  I like fish so now have that at least once per week (I LOVE salmon!) but no shellfish of any description has been part of my diet.

Recently, DH discovered cooked and marinated Mussels and loves them (he buys them already cooked and marinated).  I tried them and found them fairly good, so I was wondering if anybody knew of any good dishes to use them in?  Or would they typically just be served as an antipasto?

I'm just not sure if it's one of those things you can throw into a nice pasta and use as a main meal, or if they're best just eaten as they are as a snack.  Thoughts?
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
Re: Mussels?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
I cook them in a simple garlic and white wine broth, I have been known to put noodles in too. You can ask for recipes from your fish monger. You need at least 1/2 a kilo per person, but they are pretty cheap.

Victoria

Nibsey

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »
I cook them in a simple garlic and white wine broth, I have been known to put noodles in too. You can ask for recipes from your fish monger. You need at least 1/2 a kilo per person, but they are pretty cheap.

Yum  :) This is how I usually do them too, with brown bread and butter.

I also love Tigres or stuffed mussels. This is a great recipe from the BBC food website

Ingredients

24 large live mussels, de-bearded and cleaned
1 large banana shallot, finely chopped
70g/2½oz unsalted butter, softened
50ml/2fl oz dry vermouth
2 garlic cloves, crushed
30-40 walnut halves, smashed or chopped into small pieces
1 lemon, juice and zest
25g/1oz parmesan, grated
50g/2oz fresh breadcrumbs
2 tbsp very finely chopped parsley
½ tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
 freshly ground black pepper
 rock salt

Preparation method

1.Preheat the grill to a moderate heat. Discard any mussels that are broken or that don’t close when tapped. Place the good mussels into a large pan with a splash of boiling water and cover with a tightly fitting lid. Cook over a high heat for two minutes or until the mussels have just opened then pour them into a large colander and leave to cool.
   2.In a small pan, soften the shallot in about one third of the butter then add the vermouth. Cook until the vermouth has evaporated then pour the mixture into a large bowl.
   3.Combine the rest of the ingredients and the remaining butter with the shallots in the bowl and season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
   4.Remove and discard the top shells of the mussels. Add a teaspoon of the stuffing to each mussel and arrange them on a large baking tray. Place under the grill for 2-3 minutes or until the stuffing is golden-brown and bubbling. Transfer the mussels to a plate and scatter generously with rock salt to keep them stable. Eat with additional lemon if desired.

Edit: Or I'd do the same technique above but add a white sauce and breadcrumbs ontop instead.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:23:49 PM by Nibsey »
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:48:09 AM »
Oh wow, I wasn't even thinking of trying to buy mussels and do them from scratch - that seems scary.  I guess I could give it a shot!

I was thinking of a dish that I could put the marinated mussels into. 

But seeing I know he likes them now, perhaps I could get more adventurous and do it properly?  hmmm, tempting....  I do see the mussels on display in the market.

Nibsey

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:15:09 AM »
Oh wow, I wasn't even thinking of trying to buy mussels and do them from scratch - that seems scary.  I guess I could give it a shot!

I was thinking of a dish that I could put the marinated mussels into. 

But seeing I know he likes them now, perhaps I could get more adventurous and do it properly?  hmmm, tempting....  I do see the mussels on display in the market.

Mussels are probaby one of the easiest things to cook. They have their own timer and take about 3 minutes, You just wait for them to open and then they're done.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »
Put mussels in large pot. Add white wine, some chopped garlic, some chopped parsley, maybe a squirt of lemon juice. Cover. Steam until mussels open (3-5 minutes). DISCARD any that don't open. Dump into bowl and enjoy with white wine and french bread for sopping up the sauce! Or, dump them over pasta.

One of my favorite meals :)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
One of my favorite restaurants does them in bacon and beer.  You may want to try that combo; men love it.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 12:38:29 AM »
One of my favorite restaurants does them in bacon and beer.  You may want to try that combo; men love it.

Thanks Venus!  My DH does love bacon.... and beer!!  So could be onto a winner there  ;D

buvezdevin

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 12:47:41 AM »
I have not seen pre-cooked mussels, but they are so easy to cook,  and - in most locations - inexpensive, go for it!  In addition to the above excellent suggestions, you could use cream of coconut, red pepper flKes, or lemongrass - not all at once but one of our faves uses beer, coconut milk and red peppers - and the broth is often the best part, so have some crusty bread on hand!
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 12:49:29 AM »
I have not seen pre-cooked mussels, but they are so easy to cook,  and - in most locations - inexpensive, go for it!  In addition to the above excellent suggestions, you could use cream of coconut, red pepper flKes, or lemongrass - not all at once but one of our faves uses beer, coconut milk and red peppers - and the broth is often the best part, so have some crusty bread on hand!

Now my mouth is watering - I think I'm stopping at the bakery on the way home!

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »

If you buy totally unprocessed mussels (like straight from the dock), they do take a bit of work, as you need to carefully clean them, soak them in fresh water, and trim off the beard. But ones in the store are frequently precleaned. Throw away any that are open before cooking, or still closed after cooking.

I saute a bit of onion and garlic until it starts to soften, add a chopped tomato, white wine, some herbs and the mussels, cook until done, and serve with crusty bread to mop up the juices.