Author Topic: Is she kidding me right now?  (Read 5294 times)

Ordogirl

Is she kidding me right now?
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »
Ok, I've been lurking on this board for awhile, but....I *just* got a phone call from a woman selling products made by the blind.  Personally, it sounds dangerous to have blind people mixing cleaning chemicals to me, but I didn't say anything.  She finshed her speech, and I said, "I'm sorry, but I'm between jobs right now, so I don't have any extra funds right now.  I don't want to commit to something that I cannot follow through with."  She offered to give me until the end of the year or later to come up with $17.00.  I explained again that I didn't want to commit and asked that she call me back after the first of the year. 

This is where it gets funny.  She said, "If you need extra time, we can wait until January to bill you."  I said, "I would really prefer a call back at a later time, thank you."  And she said, "Oh, okay, whatever."  Her tone completely changed, and she was very sarcastic when she said the last part.  I laughed.  If the company does call me back, I will explain, politely of course, why I will be unable to contribute.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
Re: Is she kidding me right now?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
This is a good case for "just say no."  If you try to explain, they'll try to find a reason why your explaination isn't good enough.  This was a call out of the blue, right?  So "That is not possible for us at this time."

I got a call from the local symphony (which is very famous, but also in financial trouble) the other day asking me for a $1000 donation!  We are a single income household and we have very little spare cash.  I said, "I'm happy to support the orchestra by buying tickets, and I plan to continue to do so, but I cannot make a flat-out contribution."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:59:28 PM »
Just keep repeating "no" as it seems she won't even take that for an answer; maybe if you say it enough she'll just get annoyed by it.  That is, if she does call back at a later date.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Ruelz

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
There are different approaches to marketing.  I'm not a fan of the more aggressive approach (I consider it bullying)...so it's an instant turn-off for me.
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »
I think that given that you indicated you'd be interested later when you had the funds, she was doing some good sales tactics.

You should have just said "no" if you meant it.

Miss March

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Hope you will enjoy posting here!
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

BeagleMommy

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »
I agree that you shouldn't give reasons.  These sales people are trained not to take "no" for an answer.  No is all you need to say.

Ordogirl

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 06:06:26 PM »
Thank you, Miss March. 

I usually do simply say no; however, in this case, I was serious when I said that I would have preferred a call back at a better time.  I used to work in a call center, and I remember the sales tactics I was taught, so I understand that part.  What I didn't like was the attitude she used when she ended the call.

kudeebee

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
I don't get many calls like that and when I do, I don't let the calls go on that long. Once they say who they are and start their pitch i say "I am not interested.  Please remove my name from your list."  Then I hang up.

I agree she was rude in the way the call ended.  She was probably frustrated that she couldn't chanve your mind but that is no excuse.

jazzbeat

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 11:11:08 AM »
You should never have to justify not buying something from a salesperson or someone seeking charity money.  An assertive, "I'm sorry, but I can't help you today," is all that's needed.  Then say good-bye.