Author Topic: s/o things that sound pretty: "That sounds like the name of a ... "  (Read 865 times)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
Does anyone else do the Dave Barry thing when they hear an unusual combination of words -- "That would be a great name for a band"? I do it all the time, but darned if I can think of any I've come up with recently.

I also hear unusual nouns and think they sound like diseases ... or drugs. A first-year law student used the term "replevin," and all I could think of was "Ask your doctor if Replevin is right for you."

Offbeat adjectives have been labeled rejected names for/missing members of the Spice Girls or the Seven Dwarfs (e.g., Skeevy, Dorky).

Just me, or does anyone else do this sort of thing with words?
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

EngineerChick

Re: s/o things that sound pretty: "That sounds like the name of a ... "
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:53:59 AM »
I do the band name thing with words/phrases...for example, I think Wasabi Peas would be a good name for a band. 

At one time, I worked with 6 guys with the same name, so I think "6 Guys Named Bob" would be a good band name.  Especially if it is a girl group with only 2-3 members.
Talk nerdy to me.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:44:44 AM »
When I lived in Kentucky, I would frequently drive I-70 in Ohio to go see my family in Pennsylvania.  On the way, there's a sign for two towns, which looks like this:

FLUSHING
BETHESDA

DH and I decided this was a great band name, and spent the next little bit joking about what kind of band it would be and how we'd use the sign on the album cover.  Even better, going the other way the sign is BETHESDA FLUSHING, so that would be on the back of the album.

We named our first Rock Band band "Flushing Bethesda."  The next one was randomly generated by the program but was too good not to keep: "Lunchbox of Obsession."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
Does anyone else do the Dave Barry thing when they hear an unusual combination of words -- "That would be a great name for a band"? I do it all the time, but darned if I can think of any I've come up with recently.

I also hear unusual nouns and think they sound like diseases ... or drugs. A first-year law student used the term "replevin," and all I could think of was "Ask your doctor if Replevin is right for you."

Offbeat adjectives have been labeled rejected names for/missing members of the Spice Girls or the Seven Dwarfs (e.g., Skeevy, Dorky).

Just me, or does anyone else do this sort of thing with words?

I don't make them into rejected Spice Girls, i make them into Smurfs. I do a pretty good rendition of Junkie Smurf, if i do say so myself. Definitely on the band names. Spandex Prison is not my own, but definitely my favorite glam-metal hair band name :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:05:42 PM »
When I lived in Kentucky, I would frequently drive I-70 in Ohio to go see my family in Pennsylvania.  On the way, there's a sign for two towns, which looks like this:

FLUSHING
BETHESDA

DH and I decided this was a great band name, and spent the next little bit joking about what kind of band it would be and how we'd use the sign on the album cover.  Even better, going the other way the sign is BETHESDA FLUSHING, so that would be on the back of the album.

We named our first Rock Band band "Flushing Bethesda."

Thanks for the earworm! Because I am now singing "Flushing Bethesda" to the tune of "Waltzing Matilda."  :D
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:35:15 AM »
In the previous version of the E-hell forum, I mentioned that K-Fed sounded like either:

- animal feed, such as a kind of dog food

OR

- a radio station
I have pet mice!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »
I think a good name for a cartoon mouse detective would be Trench Mouse.

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.