Author Topic: Something special with shrimp?  (Read 1175 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Something special with shrimp?
« on: July 26, 2007, 05:31:45 PM »
I have 2 pounds of shrimp and am tired of the usual like fried, curry, scampi or some other pasta dish.

Any new or different recipe? 

chigger

Re: Something special with shrimp?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 05:35:56 PM »
Funny you asked that, I have the same problem for tommorrow.  I was thinking Shrimp Creole. 

ETA:  How about Grilled?  I usaully do it with olive oil, garlic, thyme, little bit of crushed red pepper, and lemon juice.  Put it all in the processor and whirl until it's emulsified, then use for a marinade.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:39:09 PM by chigger »

Summrs

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:42:44 PM »
How about Buffalo shrimp or Shrimp Salsa Tacos?  I'll post the recipes if either of you is interested.

TZ

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:26:27 PM »
If you like spicy food, the New Orleans-Style Barbeque Shrimp recipe in Commander's Kitchen is excellent.  I don't think I can post it here because of copyright, but I can PM you if you'd like.

I also like to wrap shrimp and pesto up in proscuitto, put them on a skewer, and grill them.  I usually add sundried tomatoes and a couple drops of lemon juice to the pesto.

tapperjockey

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 06:41:54 AM »
I have a friend whom makes a delicious meal in a crock pot.  She takes some olive oil and sautees the shrimp in it (in a pan) w/ two diced garlic cloves and cilantro. Then she puts it in a crock pot on low for two hours.  It's delish.

Another thing I like, not mentioned, is stirfry. 

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 08:42:45 AM »
I like to make shish kebabs with shrimp. I take a few shrimp, and some veggies like pineapple, mushrooms, and bell peppers, and put them on bamboo skewers with the shrimp. Then I lightly brush them with teriyaki sauce (you can also use olive oil with a little salt & pepper, or any other marinade you enjoy). Then toss them on the grill until they're done - yum!

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 11:40:51 AM »
Funny you asked that, I have the same problem for tommorrow.  I was thinking Shrimp Creole. 

ETA:  How about Grilled?  I usaully do it with olive oil, garlic, thyme, little bit of crushed red pepper, and lemon juice.  Put it all in the processor and whirl until it's emulsified, then use for a marinade.

What is even funnier is that dh suggested creole too! LOL  Except it is spanish creole with saffron instead. 

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »
How about Buffalo shrimp or Shrimp Salsa Tacos?  I'll post the recipes if either of you is interested.

Both please!  Both sounds awesome.  I have made baja mahi mahi tacos but not with shrimp.  Yum!

Summrs

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 04:21:41 AM »
Here ya go :)

Buffalo Shrimp
Serves 4

2 cups all-purpose flour      
  2 tb Creole-style seasoning      
  1 tb garlic powder      
  1 tb ground cayenne pepper      
  1 ts onion powder      
  1 ts freshly ground black pepper      
  1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails attached      
  4 cups oil for frying      

Buffalo sauce:      
  4 cloves garlic, minced      
  2 1/2 tablespoons butter      
  6 oz hot pepper sauce      
  1 ts ground cayenne pepper      

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, Creole-style seasoning, garlic powder, ground cayenne pepper, onion powder, and ground black pepper. Seal the bag and shake a few times to combine the ingredients well.

Rinse the shrimp under cold water and place them in the plastic bag with the flour mixture. Seal the bag and shake to coat all of the shrimp well with the flour mixture.

Place the coated shrimp on a cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes. Save remaining flour mixture in the bag.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together garlic, butter, hot sauce and cayenne pepper; set aside. In a pot, heat the oil to 375.

Remove shrimp from refrigerator and shake a second time in flour mixture.

Place the shrimp in hot oil and fry until pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Immediately coat with buffalo sauce.
======================

Shrimp Salsa Tacos
Makes about 10-12

For the shrimp
  1 lime, halved
  1/2 ts black peppercorns, very coarsely ground
  1/4 ts allspice berries, very coarsely ground
  3 bay leaves
  1 lb shrimp (small ones, 40- to 50-count), in their shells

For completing the dish
  1/2 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
  1 ripe medium-small tomato, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
  5 radishes, finely diced
  1 1/2 tb finely chopped fresh cilantro
  2 1/2 tb freshly squeezed lime juice
  5 tb vegetable oil, preferably half olive oil and half vegetable oil
  1 ts salt
  2 or 3 leaves romaine lettuce, for garnish
  Sprigs of cilantro, for garnish

12 small flour tortillas
  Habanero hot sauce (optional)

Squeeze the two lime halves into a medium saucepan, then add the two squeezed rinds, the black pepper, allspice, bay leaves and 1 quart water. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.

Raise the heat to high, add the shrimp, re-cover and let the liquid return just barely to a simmer. Immediately remove the pan from the heat, hold the lid slightly askew and strain off all the liquid. Re-cover tightly, set aside for 5 to 8 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through, then rinse the shrimp under cold water to stop the cooking.

Peel the shrimp, then devein them (if you want). If the shrimp are medium or larger, cut them into 1/2-inch bits, and place in a bowl.

Add the red onion, tomato, radish and cilantro to the shrimp. In a small bowl or jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the lime juice, oil and salt.

Shortly before serving, mix the dressing ingredients thoroughly, then pour over the shrimp mixture. Toss to coat everything well, cover and refrigerate or set aside at room temperature.

Line a shallow bowl with the lettuce leaves. Taste the shrimp mixture for salt; scoop it into the prepared bowl and serve, garnished with sprigs of cilantro.  Serve with tortillas and the hot sauce, if desired.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 03:33:18 AM »

Strung on a skewer and barbequed with a nice sauce.

Thai hot and sour soup.  Buy some Tom Yum spice paste, toss in shrimp, mushrooms and sliced green onions.  Mmm...

Shrimp cakes.

Shrimp tacos.