Author Topic: Picking your committments  (Read 3463 times)

Musicwoman

Picking your committments
« on: November 12, 2011, 12:23:55 AM »
Kim Kardashian recently came to Australia.  Her trip was originally scheduled for 5 days and had several headline committments - several TV appearances, an appearance at a shopping centre to promote her range of handbags, and an appearance at a prominant horse racing event.  The last was a paid appearance to promote a particular company, and the PR person in charge of it was talking her up big.

Then came the news of her marital problems.

She still attended, stating that she had "made committments and didn't want to let anybody down".  However, she only stayed two days instead of the original 5.  She attended the TV and shopping centre appearances, but completely blew off the racing event.  It seems she did not even let the company concerned know she would not be there - they found out from media reports.

I could understand if she had called off the trip entirely.  But it seems very off to me, to carefully select to honour those committments which would most forward her publicity and business interests, while blowing off (without notice!) a "mere" paid appearance.

What do other EHellions think?  Is it fair enough to pick and choose your committments if circumstances change, or should it be all-or-nothing? 
Changing the world...one Thank You note at a time.

Spoder

Re: Picking your committments
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »
I think she was rude. But then, I think she's a tacky person in general, and a complete waste of media space.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:18:36 PM »
What do other EHellions think?  Is it fair enough to pick and choose your committments if circumstances change, or should it be all-or-nothing?

It's understandable if there's a family emergency or tragedy and even then, you contact the people directly and let them know.  In Kim K's case, it's just rude and tacky (and doesn't surprise me).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
Of course, it's reprehensible to renege on commitments without a valid reason.

But in a way, I hope it teaches the raceway a lesson. You don't really have the right to expect honourable behaviour from a person whose public persona (the one that you're investing in) is of a spoiled reality TV star who wouldn't know a commitment if it bit her.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

HorseFreak

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »
Where the heck was her PR rep? She has to have one to arrange all this and s/he needs to cover their own hide for future business potential.

I can't say I'm surprised, though, she's been trained by the media and public to be incredibly self-centered for years and it's been working for her.

djinnidjream

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 01:43:36 PM »
Since she doesn't really understand the true meaning of the word "committment", I'm not surprised.  Maybe this is the beginning of the end.
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:51:25 PM »
Since she doesn't really understand the true meaning of the word "committment", I'm not surprised.  Maybe this is the beginning of the end.

Man, I hope so.  I've never watched one minute of the show but still know who the Kardashians are due to the bombardment of this family by the media. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »
I think it is really hard to be objective about her and her family.

immadz

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »
As much as I didn't know who she was until recently, I do have to wonder if it was not her fault but her PR persons.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 08:41:53 AM »
I thought her mother was her agent?

I'm sure any savvy planner wrote a "no show" penalty into the appearance contract, so I doubt Kim just blew the whole thing off and totally messed up the Event.  Sure its frustrating and annoying for the promoters and fans, but things happen.

Spoder

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 09:17:33 AM »

I'm sure any savvy planner wrote a "no show" penalty into the appearance contract, so I doubt Kim just blew the whole thing off and totally messed up the Event.  Sure its frustrating and annoying for the promoters and fans, but things happen.
[/b]

What...things that prevent anyone from notifying the actual company who she has the arrangement with, so that they had to find out from the media? That's the rude bit.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:50:20 AM »
What...things that prevent anyone from notifying the actual company who she has the arrangement with, so that they had to find out from the media? That's the rude bit.

Well, that and boasting about how you honour your commitments, and then not doing so.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 10:12:27 AM »

[/b]

Honestly though, do you know that for a fact?  And how much time was there?

I'm no KK fan, I think her behavior in general, and certainly of late, is unbecoming of a human, certainly of an adult human.  But the reality is she is followed and reported on in real time.  So she could plan to get in touch with clients say in an hour or 3 of her schedule changing and 3 days in advance of her planned appearance but some "news" source might break the news within 20 minutes of her booking a flight.  So even though she had the intention of informing her client in reasonable time, her window was smashed in no time at all.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 10:17:30 AM »

Well, that and boasting about how you honour your commitments, and then not doing so.

Like her marriage?

Spoder

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 10:44:51 AM »

[/b]

Honestly though, do you know that for a fact?  And how much time was there?

I'm no KK fan, I think her behavior in general, and certainly of late, is unbecoming of a human, certainly of an adult human.  But the reality is she is followed and reported on in real time.  So she could plan to get in touch with clients say in an hour or 3 of her schedule changing and 3 days in advance of her planned appearance but some "news" source might break the news within 20 minutes of her booking a flight.  So even though she had the intention of informing her client in reasonable time, her window was smashed in no time at all.

Well, of course I don't know any of it for a *fact*. I'm just going on what Musicwoman posted in her OP, since the machinations of the Kardashians interest me about zero.

But really, if anyone has time to book a flight, then they've got time to make the phone call that cancels the appearance. And 'reasonable time' for informing someone that you're not showing up at a one-off paid appearance that has been spruiked for months, when you're coming from overseas and the appearance is a few days away, is pretty much asap.