Author Topic: Vegetarians, Thanksgiving, and Control (long) RESOLUTION #27  (Read 6255 times)

hannahmollysmom

Re: Vegetarians, Thanksgiving, and Control (long) RESOLUTION #27
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 01:53:50 AM »
Actually, I thought of you today OP. I saw an add on a site for a blow up turkey that looks real.  ;D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 02:42:30 AM »
Actually, I thought of you today OP. I saw an add on a site for a blow up turkey that looks real.  ;D

I'm almost tempted to buy one and to send it to DM...almost  >:D

The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 06:47:58 AM »
That's an excellent solution.  I'm glad they were able to work this out.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
Sounds like your DS and DM are me and my mom.  My mother needs to feel in control even when it means controlling my life.  I'm 31 and a career woman.  She got mad last year when I bought my house because she thought I would need a cosigner.  She was upset that I didn't because it meant she didn't get to dictate the details of my house.

Our big fight right now is over my wedding.  My fiancÚ and I are paying for the whole think and are having a very very tiny ceremony.  My mother is mad that she didn't get to pick out the color of my flowers.  Apparently I should have asked her first.  I have tried to include her on most details but the flowers were not included because due to the nature of the religious service I have to use one type of flower.  So I am using them for everything.  I can't make her understand that it is a religious requirement.  What is so funny to me is that the flowers happen to be the same flowers my father always gave her and are her favorites  ::)
93 93/93

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:20 AM »
Sounds like your DS and DM are me and my mom.  My mother needs to feel in control even when it means controlling my life.  I'm 31 and a career woman.  She got mad last year when I bought my house because she thought I would need a cosigner.  She was upset that I didn't because it meant she didn't get to dictate the details of my house.

Our big fight right now is over my wedding.  My fiancÚ and I are paying for the whole think and are having a very very tiny ceremony.  My mother is mad that she didn't get to pick out the color of my flowers.  Apparently I should have asked her first.  I have tried to include her on most details but the flowers were not included because due to the nature of the religious service I have to use one type of flower.  So I am using them for everything.  I can't make her understand that it is a religious requirement.  What is so funny to me is that the flowers happen to be the same flowers my father always gave her and are her favorites  ::)

I hope she lets go of the flowers and enjoys your wedding instead of obsessing over the flowers.  If she's anything like my mom, she'll be stressing until the last minute then mysteriously let go of something she was so worried about only minutes before :D
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

edgypeanuts

Re: Vegetarians, Thanksgiving, and Control (long)
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 02:58:05 PM »

b) DS is not a vegetarian, because she is willing to eat meat that is free-range, organic and locally-sourced; and

c) . And in her mind, your sister is not a vegetarian anyway, just picky about where her food is sourced from, so why can't DS just let it go for once?

'It's not as if meat makes me gag. It's one meal.  I'll try and get a free-range etc. turkey. If I can't, I'll just eat whatever darn turkey she gets.

I have considered myself a vegetarian since 1998, due to meat inspection lectures, cruelty, the way we grow and handle meat.  I did not enjoy it anymore so I quit eating it.  DH is a very good and ethical hunter, once I met him I started occasionally eating venison and other wild game.  I guess that makes me a flexi-whatever, altho I won't eat any meat that I do not know exactly where it came from (not organic, etc.)

I would NOT enjoy eating turkey and I think the comments of "let it go for once" "its one meal" "and if it doesn't make you gag" are very dismissive of a person's food choices. I know that is not how it was meant, but replace turkey with alcohol and read it again.  Would you expect someone who doesn't drink to consume alcohol because it is a holiday, only one meal, you sip wine in church, etc?