Author Topic: Things you never wanted to know...  (Read 3097 times)

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
Re: Things you never wanted to know...
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 05:21:47 PM »
Ok, maybe 1 too many glasses of wine but I'm still struggling with bacon & reproduction and how they relate...
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »
Ok, maybe 1 too many glasses of wine but I'm still struggling with bacon & reproduction and how they relate...

What? You haven't heard of "makin' bacon"?

Actually I think VorFemme was simply introducing another topic. ;)

But to get back to the B word just for a moment: When I think of the awesomeness of bacon, I flash on this quote from a certain radio personality who had converted to a no-pig faith: "What do you mean there's no hell? There better be a hell! I gave up BACON!"
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:58 PM »
Definitely a new "things i never wanted to know"" topic.

Bacon is good.  Although I'd have to try the bacon and chocolate before venturing an opinion.............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 11:40:31 PM »
According to the website I found, a pina colada only has 245 calories. Ignore the evil miscreant, and have another one. :)

I think it may depend on the size of the pina colada. ;) (But yeah...this was years ago...15 or more. I don't drink too many pina coladas these days.)

Gyburc

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 07:00:07 AM »
I read one sci fi story about an alien race that the BIGGEST, baddest, oldest alien in the body of water was female and could/would just as soon eat the males as reproduce.  If she died/was killed - the biggest male would grow fast and change gender (or whichever alien got the size and gender switch down would be the new lead predator in the area.  Turns out the writer looks up odd-ball Earth creatures, then enlarges their relative size to humans to come up with some of his scariest aliens.............

If you haven't already done so, check out Niven, Pournelle and Barnes 'The Legacy of Heorot' - the aliens in this are based on a particular type of frog. A pretty good read, too, although the sequel, 'The Dragons of Heorot' isn't as good.

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 08:29:42 AM »
The other thing that I could have done without knowing - WATCHING two of the dolphins at Seaworld Orlando "fool around" and then swap places (both were boys, by clear and convincing evidence).

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 11:08:37 AM »
The other thing that I could have done without knowing - WATCHING two of the dolphins at Seaworld Orlando "fool around" and then swap places (both were boys, by clear and convincing evidence).

Dolphins...  one of the few besides people who play for fun....

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 11:46:18 AM »
One of my coworkers has a line of photographs posted.  Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, Steve Jobs and Kevin Bacon.  Captioned, in order, 'No hope, no cash, no jobs, PLEASE DON'T DIE.'   :D

Back to Things I Never Wanted to Know:  I was somehow privvy to a conversation where my Dad talked about his vasectomy and the associated complications.  (They missed a bleeder, size of a grapefruit was mentioned.)  I REALLY didn't need to know about that.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »

Dolphins...  one of the few besides people who play for fun....

Bonobos, Humans, and Dolphins - three species that play for fun and in combinations that do not involve the possibility of reproduction.............

TeamBhakta

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 07:24:52 PM »
Bacon is the new ... insert last year's or last decade's food fad here.

Seriously, bacon is *everywhere*. Chocolate-covered bacon (or is it bacon covered chocolate?). Bacon breath mints. Bacon bacon bacon. My current earworm is that dog treat commercial with the dog yelling, "It's baaacoooonnnn!"

An acquaintance told me recently that he knows people who keep kosher but make an exception for bacon. I'm not sure whether to believe that story.

One of my classmates in Miami used to say "Our family is Reformed. That means we order sausage on our pizza  ;D "

JoW

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 09:32:02 PM »
I know someone who converted to Judism.  She keeps kosher, but it isn't easy.  When she simply cannot resist her craving for bacon she eats Bac-Os.  Bacon flavor, vegetable-based, so fake that according to kosher rules its dairy. 

(For those who have never heard of them - http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/bacos )

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »
I would definitely want to know what they were cooking and why, and why they were filming it. And I'd want a sample of everything they cooked!

What I didn't want to know? The calorie count in the ONE pina colada I'd had in ages (this was some time back; I was enjoying a very rare pina colada at a bar when a strange woman sat next to me and said, "Did you know there's over 600 calories in that drink?" Gee, lady. Thanks for ruining my treat for me.  ::) )
Would it be rude to reply, "Oh, dear...then you probably wouldn't want to even think about having one, would you!"
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »
Bacon cinnamon rolls.   ;D  I don't remember where I read about them (maybe here??) but you take a tube of cinnamon rolls, open the tube and carefully unroll each raw cinnamon roll.  Lay a strip of almost-cooked-through bacon strip on the dough, reroll and bake.

I've been wanting to try it - but am still trying to lose these last 20 pounds.  Maybe for Christmas breakfast....
My ex husband wanted me to make pancakes like his mother used to make, by laying out some bacon on the griddle and spooning pancake batter on top, then, when the pancake was ready to turn, turning it, resulting in a pancake with undercooked bacon stuck to one side.  I can see this with a little crispy bacon added to the batter, but not something that will result in trichinosis!  I think he didn't know what the heck he was doing.  His mom probably fully cooked the bacon before assembling this delicacy.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.