A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Halloween

(1/3) > >>

MummyPumpkin83:
not sure if this should be here, or in holidays, but as this has to do with the way Halloween is "celebrated" in different places I thought it should go here.

In Australia it has really only been a few years where trick-or-treating has been happening.
this: http://failbook.failblog.org/2011/11/01/funny-facebook-fails-australia-apparently-doesnt-adhere-to-our-holidays/
(sorry not sure how to post a small version of the actual "status") pretty much sums up the Aussie attitude to Halloween, that I've come a cross anyway.

In reading threads on here about trick-or-treating it sounds like the local community/neighbourhood has a set timeframe that trick-or-treaters are supposed to come. Is that right? And having your lights on signals that you are"open" for trick-or-treaters?
What does "trick-or-treat" mean? My husband had some TOTers come to the door and he said "trick" back to them, and told the kids that meant they had to do a "trick" for him before he gave them anything (not that he actually had anything to give:) )

What are some other Halloween traditions from around the world?

alice:
My experience has been that the trick or treating is done on October 31st in the late afternoon (for the little ones) up until 8pm for the older ones.  If a house has a light on, you can approach.  Those homes that do not want to participate can leave the house with no front porch light.

My sister lives in a small town in the Pocono Mountains.  They hold trick or treating on the Wednesday before Halloween.  The town watch is out to help kids cross the street and keep everyone safe. 

Mal:
Iím from Germany and Halloween got imported here a few years ago becauseÖ wellÖ imports from the US always sell well and our supermarkets needed new reasons for jacking up prices I guess.

Anyway, there already is an occasion for people to wear costumes around here in February, and itís actually a series of days, so that should be plenty, right?

I donít really appreciate being solicited for candy by kids in recycled Fasnacht costumes, but they also developed a sense of entitlement to trick people who donít fork over treats, so last year some kids actually set fire to my parentsí front door.

Not a fan.

mechtilde:
I live in the North East of England where we do have the tradition of Haloweening- the children dress up, and go from house to house. They have a special rhyme "The sky is blue, the Grass is Green; Please for a penny for Halloween; If you haven't got a penny then a shilling* will do; If you haven't got a shilling then God Bless You"

Mostly people give sweets, some people save up pennies and tuppences to give as well.

* A shilling is twelve pre-decimal pence

I grew up in Lincolnshire, where we did not have that tradition. I was never allowed to go trick or treating, but was allowed to have a dressing up party instead. We always had apple bobbing, where you have to catch an apple from a basin of water with your teeth- as well as other games.

Wonderflonium:
Trick or treating usually starts around 5:30 (for the little ones) or 6 and lasts until about 8, although it can go longer if people are still handing out candy. Leaving the porch light on indicates you are participating.

The "trick" part or trick or treating is actually meant to be a threat; if you don't provide a treat, they will play a trick on you. I've never seen this happen, though, because most people who participate do provide treats and the others are left alone. However, the night before Halloween (known as Mischief Night) is rife with tricks, usually involving eggs and toilet paper.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version