Author Topic: What has utterly baffled you lately?  (Read 6132 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
What has utterly baffled you lately?
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
I'm usually pretty unflappable.  When you live in a large city you see a lot of things.  But today, I saw something that merited posting on the tubewebs.  I saw one kid pulling two other kids on a rickshaw.  A rickshaw!  I mean, how often do you see that?  That blew my mind.

Also (but less spectacular), I had a piece of "apple pie flavored gum".  And it actually tasted JUST like apple pie.  How do they do that?  Oompa Loompas?!

buvezdevin

Re: What has utterly baffled you lately?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »
Yes, Oomp Loompas.  Stay away from the blueberry pie gum.

Tonight I was mildly baffled (biffled?) for the umpteenth time as to why a mild rain creates traffic jams of exponentially unlikely magnitude.  It is rain.  A regular occurrence.  Why that means a five minute drive at 6 is now a 35 minute trek over the same distance seems... Biffling, to me.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »
That my owning dolls makes me a pervert and a pedophile. Yes. Some one believes this.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »
That my owning dolls makes me a pervert and a pedophile. Yes. Some one believes this.

Buh...wha?

(I mean, if you had ten thousand Bratz dolls, and they all looked like little girls in your area, then yeah, but...)

Rohanna

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:21:02 PM »
Yeh that dessert gum is pretty...desserty!
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »
It always shakes me up a little when my boss makes jokes.  Not that he's a humorless drone or anything, but he's one of those mostly serious types that will sometimes make funny little comments here and there in passing...but then he randomly send out an over-the-top silly e-mail that just cracks me up.  It's just rare enough that it surprises me whenever it happens.  In a good way!  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:29:47 PM »
Yes, Oomp Loompas.  Stay away from the blueberry pie gum.

Tonight I was mildly baffled (biffled?) for the umpteenth time as to why a mild rain creates traffic jams of exponentially unlikely magnitude.  It is rain.  A regular occurrence.  Why that means a five minute drive at 6 is now a 35 minute trek over the same distance seems... Biffling, to me.

Some people forget how to drive in rain.  I could understand it when we lived in SoCal, where it rains I think an inch a year, but here in Maryland?  Puh-lease! It rains a lot more than that here and yet you get people who drive as slow as possible and people who drive like a bat outta hell.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CuriousParty

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »

Tonight I was mildly baffled (?) for the umpteenth time as to why a mild rain creates traffic jams of exponentially unlikely magnitude.  It is rain.  A regular occurrence.  Why that means a five minute drive at 6 is now a 35 minute trek over the same distance seems... Biffling, to me.
Seriously.

Ser.i.ous.ly.

I have also heard "sun glare" offered as a traffic explanation. Really?  The big burning orb that has been in the sky, oh, I don't know, forever?

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 10:41:23 PM »

Buh...wha?

(I mean, if you had ten thousand Bratz dolls, and they all looked like little girls in your area, then yeah, but...)

One of my neighbors. I haven't heard the pedophile part directly from him but I got it from people who I trust (they were giving me a heads up) As well as the manager of my apartment complex.  He called me a pervert when I was on my balcony dissembling and washing my dolls.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 01:00:37 AM »

Buh...wha?

One of my neighbors. I haven't heard the pedophile part directly from him but I got it from people who I trust (they were giving me a heads up) As well as the manager of my apartment complex.  He called me a pervert when I was on my balcony dissembling and washing my dolls.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it says more about him than you...

bigozzy

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 06:43:32 AM »
I think I may be turning into a Grumpy Old Man but I was baffled today by a group of my female students.

They were wearing one of the current fashions here- short shorts- standing outside and complaining about being cold.

In Scotland.

Did I mention the shorts?

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 06:53:01 AM »
I have also heard "sun glare" offered as a traffic explanation. Really?  The big burning orb that has been in the sky, oh, I don't know, forever?

It makes a lot of sense if you live in a northern latitude where a bright sun can be at a very low angle, especially if it is shining off a wet road. It can really affect your visibility, so you have to slow down.
NE England

Larrabee

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 06:57:39 AM »

It makes a lot of sense if you live in a northern latitude where a bright sun can be at a very low angle, especially if it is shining off a wet road. It can really affect your visibility, so you have to slow down.

Yep.  At this time of year sun glare is really serious when its low in the sky.  It can affect your visibility to the point where you can't see more than 10 feet ahead of you with sunglasses on.

Honestly, with the driving ones, I'd much rather people know their own capabilities and play it safe.  There was a huge pile up here a few weeks ago where 7 people died and 51 were injured.  A contributing factor was low visibility.

CuriousParty

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »

Yep.  At this time of year sun glare is really serious when its low in the sky.  It can affect your visibility to the point where you can't see more than 10 feet ahead of you with sunglasses on.

Honestly, with the driving ones, I'd much rather people know their own capabilities and play it safe.  There was a huge pile up here a few weeks ago where 7 people died and 51 were injured.  A contributing factor was low visibility.

This is true, although it happens throughout the year and on dry days as well as wet.  And if you can't see (there is certainly glare there) please, by all means, slow down.

However.  The sun was there when they built the road.  And it's not like the sun isn't, you know, predictable and stuff.  It seems like a little more planning and thought could have helped a lot, here.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
BigOzzy, I have a relative who walks around in the bare minimum of clothing and CONSTANTLY complains about how cold she is.  I know how to fix that...