Author Topic: What has utterly baffled you lately?  (Read 6316 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What has utterly baffled you lately?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 12:51:22 PM »
I think I may be turning into a Grumpy Old Man but I was baffled today by a group of my female students.

They were wearing one of the current fashions here- short shorts- standing outside and complaining about being cold.

In Scotland.

Did I mention the shorts?

bigozzy, here in Canada, I discovered several years ago that a company actually designed, produced and brought to sale "crop parkas". Yes - heavily padded  jackets that stop just at the ribcage, leaving the rest of the midriff exposed. I learned this because a young woman across from me at the airport was wearing one.

She was also wearing a crop shirt and lowrise jeans, so about 10 inches of bare, goosepimpled flesh was visible.

It was January. In Canada. It was -5 C, with what Canadians call a "nippy wind". She did not apparently connect her wardrobe choice to her lack of comfort. The mind boggles.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Larrabee

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
I think I may be turning into a Grumpy Old Man but I was baffled today by a group of my female students.

They were wearing one of the current fashions here- short shorts- standing outside and complaining about being cold.

In Scotland.

A lot of my fellow students here in Manchester are going for this look too.  They are mostly wearing warm chunky tights under the shorts (and the dreaded Ugg boots! :o ) but I still don't really get it.  You can spot us oldies a mile off from our sensible clothing.  ;)

The ones that are wearing trousers are wearing ballet flats with no socks on!  Their feet must be freezing!

magicdomino

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »

In Scotland.

A lot of my fellow students here in Manchester are going for this look too.  They are mostly wearing warm chunky tights under the shorts (and the dreaded Ugg boots! :o ) but I still don't really get it.  You can spot us oldies a mile off from our sensible clothing.  ;)

The ones that are wearing trousers are wearing ballet flats with no socks on!  Their feet must be freezing!

Ah, but they will make such good-looking popcycles.   :)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »
I have also heard "sun glare" offered as a traffic explanation. Really?  The big burning orb that has been in the sky, oh, I don't know, forever?

It makes a lot of sense if you live in a northern latitude where a bright sun can be at a very low angle, especially if it is shining off a wet road. It can really affect your visibility, so you have to slow down.

Yep.  At this time of year sun glare is really serious when its low in the sky.  It can affect your visibility to the point where you can't see more than 10 feet ahead of you with sunglasses on.

Honestly, with the driving ones, I'd much rather people know their own capabilities and play it safe.  There was a huge pile up here a few weeks ago where 7 people died and 51 were injured.  A contributing factor was low visibility.

This is true, although it happens throughout the year and on dry days as well as wet.  And if you can't see (there is certainly glare there) please, by all means, slow down.

However.  The sun was there when they built the road.  And it's not like the sun isn't, you know, predictable and stuff.  It seems like a little more planning and thought could have helped a lot, here.

Yes, the sun has been there for, like, ever; but trying to build roads in such a way that they never got any glare, ever, at any time of year would be virtually impossible.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

bigozzy

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »

In Scotland.

bigozzy, here in Canada, I discovered several years ago that a company actually designed, produced and brought to sale "crop parkas". Yes - heavily padded  jackets that stop just at the ribcage, leaving the rest of the midriff exposed. I learned this because a young woman across from me at the airport was wearing one.

She was also wearing a crop shirt and lowrise jeans, so about 10 inches of bare, goosepimpled flesh was visible.

It was January. In Canada. It was -5 C, with what Canadians call a "nippy wind". She did not apparently connect her wardrobe choice to her lack of comfort. The mind boggles.

That was here as well! Not as cold as Canada but the wind and the driving rain/sleet will freeze your bellybutton piercing. muttermutter

bigozzy

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »

In Scotland.

I have a very sensible warm coat and a nice hoody for all occassions ;D

JoW

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »

In Scotland.

Or the other extreme, people are wearing slacks, heavy socks, a long-sleeve shirt, a sweater or vest, topped with a lab coat, and complaining because it too warm in our office.  Meanwhile a cold-natured woman at the other end of the hall is wearing 3 layers of long-sleeve shirts and a Snuggie  to stay warm. 

Lab coats are optional in the office, but mandatory in the halls leading to it.  I wear short-sleeve shirts and take off the lab coat when its allowed, and am reasonably comfortable most of the time. 

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 09:57:38 PM »

In Scotland.

I do that. (I'm not in Scotland though. Wish i was, i bet the weather is nice and cold.) But I wear shorts and a jacket with shoes and socks.

Because while my arms and feet (and hands) get very cold, jeans in anything but freezing weather will get my legs overheated and make me miserable.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:27 AM »
I have also heard "sun glare" offered as a traffic explanation. Really?  The big burning orb that has been in the sky, oh, I don't know, forever?

It makes a lot of sense if you live in a northern latitude where a bright sun can be at a very low angle, especially if it is shining off a wet road. It can really affect your visibility, so you have to slow down.

Yep.  At this time of year sun glare is really serious when its low in the sky.  It can affect your visibility to the point where you can't see more than 10 feet ahead of you with sunglasses on.

Honestly, with the driving ones, I'd much rather people know their own capabilities and play it safe.  There was a huge pile up here a few weeks ago where 7 people died and 51 were injured.  A contributing factor was low visibility.

This is true, although it happens throughout the year and on dry days as well as wet.  And if you can't see (there is certainly glare there) please, by all means, slow down.

However.  The sun was there when they built the road.  And it's not like the sun isn't, you know, predictable and stuff.  It seems like a little more planning and thought could have helped a lot, here.

Yes, the sun has been there for, like, ever; but trying to build roads in such a way that they never got any glare, ever, at any time of year would be virtually impossible.

Yep - it's not like you can just say "Don't build straight East/West roads" because the sun moves north or south in the sky depending on the season.  I do like places that encourage landowners along country roads to plant treebreaks, though - not only do they stop the wind from eroding the fields quite as badly, but they also provide some sun protection in the early morning and evening!

(Follow-up stupid question: "treebreak" as in breaking line of sight, or "treebrake" as in braking the wind?  Or windbreak/windbrake?)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 04:46:49 AM »

(Follow-up stupid question: "treebreak" as in breaking line of sight, or "treebrake" as in braking the wind?  Or windbreak/windbrake?)

Windbreak or treebreak. :) Like windbreaker jackets.

One of the townships near here fined a local farmer for planting trees. From what I hear, some childish fit on the part of the local council ("If we wanted trees along the road, we would have planted them!!"). Then the township planted their own trees the next year.

Yeah, they got laughed at quite a bit for that.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 10:38:18 AM »
Quote from: Slartibartfast link=topic=110181.msg2573793#msg2573793

Breaking line of sight or breaking up the wind.  "Brake" would be if there was some kind of pressure applied to actually decrease velocity.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:05:28 PM by Xallanthia »

bigozzy

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »
[quote author=Slartibartfast link=topic=110181.msg2573793#msg2573793 (Follow-up stupid question: "treebreak" as in breaking line of sight, or "treebrake" as in braking the wind?  Or windbreak/windbrake?)

Breaking line of sight or breaking up the wind.  "Brake" would be if there was some kind of pressure applied to actually decrease velocity.
[/quote]

Treebrake= Large tree on road not seen until too late

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »

In Scotland.

I have a very sensible warm coat and a nice hoody for all occassions ;D

They sound like my 10 yo son who thinks nothing of going out into the cold (around 40 deg. F in Maryland, and windy!) wearing shorts because he's too lazy to look for long pants and tries to insist he doesn't need a coat.

This child is the one who, as my friend would say "has to run around in the shower to get wet" and swears he's got a high tolerance for cold while his father, who is of stocky build and has high tolerance for cold, is wearing a long sleeved shirt and thick sweatshirt.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

NutMeg

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »

In Scotland.

The truly baffling part of this is that it was only -5 C in January!
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 03:29:42 PM »
Baggy shorts and a t-shirt was the standard uniform for the teens standing around the 7-11 smoking their forbidden cigarettes before school in Wisconsin, below zero or not.  I always thought they looked a bit like stray cats, shivering at the back door and trying to look like the cold didn't bother them one bit.