Author Topic: What has utterly baffled you lately?  (Read 6717 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: What has utterly baffled you lately?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »
I saw this young girl (looked teenish) walking across the street one day. It was maybe 40F. BUT! She was carrying her shoes and walking barefoot! :o She was also carrying her jacket. She was wearing a tank-top (not one of the short ones) and at least she was wearing jeans.

As I was stopped at the stop sign waiting for her to cross I thought "It really baffles me that parents actually let their kids walk around like this when it's still so cold outside. What are they thinking?"

Then she turned her head, looked at me, smiled sweetly and waved.

Yup. It was my own kid. ::)

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
I saw this young girl (looked teenish) walking across the street one day. It was maybe 40F. BUT! She was carrying her shoes and walking barefoot! :o She was also carrying her jacket. She was wearing a tank-top (not one of the short ones) and at least she was wearing jeans.

At my old job I had to walk about 1/2 a mile to catch the bus to go home.  One day in early spring it had been quite seasonable in the morning, but in the afternoon rain blew in and it turned very cold and wet.  In the morning, I left the house in a skirt and nice, open sandals.  When I went to walk home, it was so slippery in those shoes that I honestly thought I was going to fall and injure myself, and I'm not normally a clumsy person.  So, I took them off, even though it was 45*, the pavement was freezing, and it was very wet.  Twas a very careful half-mile walk through the city to my bus stop!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
jpcher-
oh, what fun is parenting!
My son will NOT wear a jacket unless it is snowing, and even then, not always!  It must be genetic--my brothers are the same way.  I, and their wives, yearly have to bite our tongues because we cannot get them to understand that while they think they are not cold, simply looking at them in a t-shirt makes others feel cold when it is below 40 degrees!!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 01:39:32 AM »
Yesterday we were under a winter storm warning. The forecast was for 10-15cm of snow, -25C wind chill and 60km winds. Visibility approaching zero. Yucky weather.

DS was to work an evening shift. Since work is only 5 blocks from his school, he usually walks.
I offered to pick him up. Repeatedly, telling him the forecast.
Nope, he'd be fine.

I made sure he had gloves, toque and a jacket. He had a hoodie and said he had his good windproof jacket at school.

And yet...come time to go to work, he calls me.
He "Didn't think it would be so cold out."

And when I picked him up the was no hat it gloves, and only a hoodie for a jacket. And he was cold...

Shea

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
Today I saw a young man (late teens, maybe), walking around wearing shorts and a t-shirt. In late November. In Canada. When it's below freezing and there's snow on the ground. What?

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
Why do teenagers rather wear uncomfortable wet clothes all day than carry an umbrella?  Why did I do the same as a teen way back when?

Why do people slow down and stare at a stalled car thus causing a traffic jam?  Not an accident or anything "interesting."  Just a plain old car standing still at the side of the road.

Larrabee

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »

Why do people slow down and stare at a stalled car thus causing a traffic jam?  Not an accident or anything "interesting."  Just a plain old car standing still at the side of the road.

I sometimes slow to see if the person seems ok. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2011, 08:47:36 PM »
Yes, Oomp Loompas.  Stay away from the blueberry pie gum.

Tonight I was mildly baffled (biffled?) for the umpteenth time as to why a mild rain creates traffic jams of exponentially unlikely magnitude.  It is rain.  A regular occurrence.  Why that means a five minute drive at 6 is now a 35 minute trek over the same distance seems... Biffling, to me.

Some people forget how to drive in rain.  I could understand it when we lived in SoCal, where it rains I think an inch a year, but here in Maryland?  Puh-lease! It rains a lot more than that here and yet you get people who drive as slow as possible and people who drive like a bat outta hell.

We get that out here in Oregon, where it rains even more than it does in Maryland.  (And when I looked this up, I found that I was wrong; Portland, by where I live, gets 37 inches on the average.  Maryland gets 40-45, depending on the reference.)  But the people here still drive as though it never rains here.

Shea

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2011, 09:37:15 AM »
Yes, Oomp Loompas.  Stay away from the blueberry pie gum.

Tonight I was mildly baffled (biffled?) for the umpteenth time as to why a mild rain creates traffic jams of exponentially unlikely magnitude.  It is rain.  A regular occurrence.  Why that means a five minute drive at 6 is now a 35 minute trek over the same distance seems... Biffling, to me.

Some people forget how to drive in rain.  I could understand it when we lived in SoCal, where it rains I think an inch a year, but here in Maryland?  Puh-lease! It rains a lot more than that here and yet you get people who drive as slow as possible and people who drive like a bat outta hell.

We get that out here in Oregon, where it rains even more than it does in Maryland.  (And when I looked this up, I found that I was wrong; Portland, by where I live, gets 37 inches on the average.  Maryland gets 40-45, depending on the reference.)  But the people here still drive as though it never rains here.

What's really amusing is when it snows an inch, and people rush to put chains on their tires! I'm from a part of Oregon where it actually snows, and the reaction to a light snowfall puzzled the heck out of me when I was living in Portland.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »
I agree with previous posters - it's baffling that learning "the amount and type of clothes you are wearing have a direct bearing on your physical comfort," seems to be one of the last major lifelessons learned before one can call oneself an adult.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2011, 10:25:43 AM »
jpcher-
My son will NOT wear a jacket unless it is snowing, and even then, not always!  It must be genetic--my brothers are the same way.  I, and their wives, yearly have to bite our tongues because we cannot get them to understand that while they think they are not cold, simply looking at them in a t-shirt makes others feel cold when it is below 40 degrees!!

Ds11 runs warm, always. He wears shorts and a hoodie from September-April. If he wears jeans he doesn't bother with a coat. The ONLY exception, the only time he really bundles, is when he goes skiing or snowboarding.

I got a letter and then a call from the school either last year or the year before, saying the weather had turned (it was December and snow on the ground, like I hadn't noticed the weather had turned) and he needed to start wearing appropriate clothing: long pants, heavy coat. I tried, really I did. He very very rarely gets sick, so I just quit bugging him about it. We as parents have to dictate so much of what our kids do. If the boy insists he doesn't want a coat and he's not complaining later that he's cold....  :-\ The school seems to have given up as well. Anyway, we live on a direct walking route to the high school. It is almost normal to see teens walking back & forth in shorts & jackets, or else just jeans & t-shirts....even in the snow.

But on to what baffles me....

I worry about saying some of the things that really  ???  to me, because I don't want to seem intolerant.

My biggest: I am baffled by people constantly needing to upgrade electronics. Those that MUST have the newest tablet or phone even though they just bought one 4 months ago or whatever. We've had our desktop computer for 8 years. My laptop is 2 years old. I've had the same phone for 4 years. Used the same mp3 player for 3 years. As long as these items still function.... again....  ???

Ruelz

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2011, 10:36:02 AM »
My sons run hot too...when they were young I didn't see the point of making them bundle up if they were just going to make themselves sick overheating and sweating... ::)

What baffles me is the general concensus of what's okay and what's not okay in social situations.

For example:  Some people are really mean when criticising a celebrity.  Other people say it's mean to criticize a celebrity at all. 

"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
jpcher-

Ds11 runs warm, always. He wears shorts and a hoodie from September-April. If he wears jeans he doesn't bother with a coat. The ONLY exception, the only time he really bundles, is when he goes skiing or snowboarding.

I got a letter and then a call from the school either last year or the year before, saying the weather had turned (it was December and snow on the ground, like I hadn't noticed the weather had turned) and he needed to start wearing appropriate clothing: long pants, heavy coat. I tried, really I did. He very very rarely gets sick, so I just quit bugging him about it. We as parents have to dictate so much of what our kids do. If the boy insists he doesn't want a coat and he's not complaining later that he's cold....  :-\ The school seems to have given up as well. Anyway, we live on a direct walking route to the high school. It is almost normal to see teens walking back & forth in shorts & jackets, or else just jeans & t-shirts....even in the snow.

But on to what baffles me....

I worry about saying some of the things that really  ???  to me, because I don't want to seem intolerant.

My biggest: I am baffled by people constantly needing to upgrade electronics. Those that MUST have the newest tablet or phone even though they just bought one 4 months ago or whatever. We've had our desktop computer for 8 years. My laptop is 2 years old. I've had the same phone for 4 years. Used the same mp3 player for 3 years. As long as these items still function.... again....  ???

I'm another no coater.  It's not so much an issue where I live now, but when I lived up north I used to get so hot in the winter if I was forced to wear a ton of layers and a heavy coat.  Really, I was fine with just jeans, boots, short sleeve shirt and maybe a sweatshirt or light sweater.  I used to get physically ill from being over heated when I was forced to wear everything else...I would have sweat dripping from me I was so hot.

The electronic thing baffles me as well as does the people who just have to have new cars every year.  My DH used to be one of the electronic device people, but I finally got him to see reason. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »
The electronics thing is weird to me, but no weirder than people who have to have, say, five pairs of black pumps.  It's all in what you find to be an acceptable splurge-outlet, I suppose.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »
Why do teenagers rather wear uncomfortable wet clothes all day than carry an umbrella?  Why did I do the same as a teen way back when?

I still don't like to have to hold an umbrella.  I'd honestly rather be wet than have to juggle one with all the other stuff I have to carry.  I never have to walk that far in the rain, though.