Author Topic: What has utterly baffled you lately?  (Read 5779 times)

AdakAK

Re: What has utterly baffled you lately?
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2011, 10:52:51 PM »

My biggest: I am baffled by people constantly needing to upgrade electronics. Those that MUST have the newest tablet or phone even though they just bought one 4 months ago or whatever. We've had our desktop computer for 8 years. My laptop is 2 years old. I've had the same phone for 4 years. Used the same mp3 player for 3 years. As long as these items still function.... again....  ???

I am not bleeding edge by any means but I do things like play games on my electronics.  I doubt your desktop would be happy to load my game and it almost certainly would not play it at a level I would find fun.  Lag kills and I like to see far off things. I tend to be hard on my phones, and I enjoy exploring the new functions they have so I replace them every 2 years.  I think it depends what you are using them for, my old laptop will let me be here and on FB and if that was the type of stuff I did most I would be happy.  I won't touch it to play on though, it is just frustrating!  Same for my phone, it worked to call but web browsing was slow and clunky, and I love, love my new phone.  I use it a lot for web browsing, playing games, calendar, entertaining my toddler...  It is better than my 2yo phone for many things I do on it, but if I was calling only or even calling and texting I might not think the same. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2011, 06:31:01 AM »
But on to what baffles me....

I worry about saying some of the things that really  ???  to me, because I don't want to seem intolerant.

I don't think that not understanding a behaviour makes you intolerant as long as you respect people's right to do it and ask in an appropriate way.

For example: "I don't understand why some people spend so much money travelling abroad", in the context of this thread, is fine. "Why would anyone throw money out of the window by travelling?" is not. Context is important too - saying the first to someone who was just talking about travel plans is rude.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »
It baffles me that people leave the house in their pajama pants. In my neighborhood, it's a very common sight in front of the school every morning. I have to take my kids to school too and even on the most hectic mornings, I take 30 seconds to take off my pajamas pants and throw on some jeans. I even see pajama pants later in the day. I like clothes. I can only afford thrift store clothes but I like to dress as well as I can, even when I'm casual. That's just me, obviously. However, if you go out in your pajama pants, don't they get dirty? Dusty? Wet on a rainy day?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »
It baffles me that people leave the house in their pajama pants. In my neighborhood, it's a very common sight in front of the school every morning. I have to take my kids to school too and even on the most hectic mornings, I take 30 seconds to take off my pajamas pants and throw on some jeans. I even see pajama pants later in the day. I like clothes. I can only afford thrift store clothes but I like to dress as well as I can, even when I'm casual. That's just me, obviously. However, if you go out in your pajama pants, don't they get dirty? Dusty? Wet on a rainy day?

THIS.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »
. However, if you go out in your pajama pants, don't they get dirty? Dusty? Wet on a rainy day?

Don't your regular clothes get dirty, dusty, or wet on a rainy day?  I'm not sure what the difference is here.  I don't wear pajama pants to the store, but I also wash my pjs.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »
. However, if you go out in your pajama pants, don't they get dirty? Dusty? Wet on a rainy day?

Don't your regular clothes get dirty, dusty, or wet on a rainy day?  I'm not sure what the difference is here.  I don't wear pajama pants to the store, but I also wash my pjs.

I am of the mind set that as long as you have pants on and everything is covered that needs to be, I don't care if they are jeans/pajama bottoms/whatever/what they look like....says the woman who regular shops in paint/stain covered gym pants and sometimes pajama bottoms/velour lounge bottoms. 

They are comfy and sometimes I feel is just isn't worth the effort to change.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2011, 01:55:01 PM »

That's because I think of my pajama pants as something I wear in bed or into which I slip at the end of the day after having been out in the cold and damp weather. I can't imagine going to bed in pajama pants that are wet or dirty.

I think it might be a generational thing. I notice the pajama thing mostly on women (and a few men too) who appear to be thirty at most. I'm in my forties. And I'm Parisian born and raised.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »

That's because I think of my pajama pants as something I wear in bed or into which I slip at the end of the day after having been out in the cold and damp weather. I can't imagine going to bed in pajama pants that are wet or dirty.

I think it might be a generational thing. I notice the pajama thing mostly on women (and a few men too) who appear to be thirty at most. I'm in my forties. And I'm Parisian born and raised.

Just change into different (clean) pajamas. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2011, 02:40:43 PM »
Here's the thing, to my line of thinking.  Pajamas are bed wear... and the bedroom is inherently intimate.  Seeing pajamas out in public borders on TMI for me.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2011, 03:47:58 PM »
Here's the thing, to my line of thinking.  Pajamas are bed wear... and the bedroom is inherently intimate.  Seeing pajamas out in public borders on TMI for me.

See, I'm on the opposite side of this.  I'm home all day most of the time, usually at my computer, and I don't find jeans all that comfortable to sit in.  I stay in my pajamas 90% of the time unless I'm actually planning to go out - and I have no problem running out to get the mail or take the trash out while I'm wearing pajamas (assuming they're "flannel pants and a t-shirt" PJs and not "impress the DH").  Pajamas don't feel like "bedroom wear" to me as much as "home wear."

I also have a lot of pants which are kind of halfway between pajamas and "real" pants - thinner than sweats, looser than leggings, more like yoga pants, maybe?  I will happily wear these to sleep in, to write in, to run to the store in, whatever - they're not the dressiest things ever, but I don't see them as any worse than jeans.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2011, 10:58:25 PM »

See, I'm on the opposite side of this.  I'm home all day most of the time, usually at my computer, and I don't find jeans all that comfortable to sit in.  I stay in my pajamas 90% of the time unless I'm actually planning to go out - and I have no problem running out to get the mail or take the trash out while I'm wearing pajamas (assuming they're "flannel pants and a t-shirt" PJs and not "impress the DH").  Pajamas don't feel like "bedroom wear" to me as much as "home wear."

I also have a lot of pants which are kind of halfway between pajamas and "real" pants - thinner than sweats, looser than leggings, more like yoga pants, maybe?  I will happily wear these to sleep in, to write in, to run to the store in, whatever - they're not the dressiest things ever, but I don't see them as any worse than jeans.

See, I can see staying in your pajama bottoms to take out the trash or get the mail. You're not really "going out". But would you be seen at a store in (I've seen it) flannel pajama pants with little duckies on them?

I'll fully agree to describe myself as a stuffed shirt on this issue. I could choose to just ignore it all but I love looking at the way people dress, in the hope to see something nice, interesting, something that will inspire me.

bigozzy

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2011, 05:39:54 AM »
I genuinely do not understand the urge to join a line overnight for the release of a new game/book/phone to get it on that day. I am happy to wait a couple of days and get it then without fuss.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2011, 06:07:51 AM »
I genuinely do not understand the urge to join a line overnight for the release of a new game/book/phone to get it on that day. I am happy to wait a couple of days and get it then without fuss.

Oh, not me. When I've been waiting years for a book I want it now now now.   

bigozzy

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2011, 06:09:30 AM »

Would you line up for it outside a book shop over night? Curiousity not criticism!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2011, 06:14:35 AM »

Would you line up for it outside a book shop over night? Curiousity not criticism!

I might, though frankly the books I've been that eager for have not exactly been the long-line kind of books. And I have been working overnight the last few Harry Potter releases.

But bear in mind that I love Black Friday shopping and willing go stand in line with a book for hours at a time waiting for the store to open, so I'm on the weird side.