Author Topic: What has utterly baffled you lately?  (Read 5780 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: What has utterly baffled you lately?
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »
I went to a school famous for the students "tenting" for MONTHS before the basketball games to get tickets.  I was too obsessive about my grades to do that, but when Ben Stein came as a guest speaker, my friends and I got all set to go sleep in a tent outside the auditorium overnight so we could be the first in line to get in.  (Not that there would have been a line, just for the novelty of it.)  Sadly, a friend and I both got sick the day before and we had to just stand in line like everyone else.

(He was a fabulous speaker, by the way.)

bigozzy

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2011, 11:09:45 AM »
I went to a school famous for the students "tenting" for MONTHS before the basketball games to get tickets.  I was too obsessive about my grades to do that, but when Ben Stein came as a guest speaker, my friends and I got all set to go sleep in a tent outside the auditorium overnight so we could be the first in line to get in.  (Not that there would have been a line, just for the novelty of it.)  Sadly, a friend and I both got sick the day before and we had to just stand in line like everyone else.

(He was a fabulous speaker, by the way.)

My son is manga and anime mad and last year I was reminded that I promised to take him to one of these big conference thingies with artists/movies/merchandise and talks.

We got to the venue really early but there was a huge line already and we had to wait for 2 hours or more. The time flew by looking at the costumes and fascinating people though. I kept asking my son "Who's that. Why have they got a horse head and a butcher's apron?" "Why is that guy got a knife in his head"? So uncool dad.

He had the audacity to claim to my wife that I was more interested in the more revealing costumes but it helped pass the time.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2011, 11:30:27 AM »
After reading all of these and agreeing with most of them, I think the thing that stills baffles me most is how people can hurt other people.

I mean emotionally by thoughtless words and acts, financially by theft of anything, or physically by violence.

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 12:26:06 PM »
Why PJs as outerweart baffles me a bit: I am a jeans and tshirt girl. Even to walk the kids to the bus in the morning I throw on a pair of jeans. I do it even if that is the only time I will be going out of the house all day. It takes 30 seconds to swap pajamas for real clothes. For me, the glory of my PJs and velour lounge pants is to change into them at the end of a long day. If I wear them all day it takes away that special "aaaahhhhh" moment.

Why waiting for 3 hours in the cold for a new release baffles me a bit: That item will almost always continue to be available after the midnight release. My exception here was for the midnight Harry Potter book releases. It became more about the ritual of me, my Bro and my SIL going out for a burger and chilling at the mall together and having fun. I do understand waiting for concert tickets because that is a one time only event with limited availability.

One of the things that truly baffles me the most is one of the ones that makes me seem intolerant. It baffles me when i see people who have the means to do so let the basic personal care of their children slide. Clean, maintained hair (as in, if the kid wants long hair and doesn't want it cut it should at least be brushed & tangle-free), clean appropriate clothes that fit, teeth brushed. End of story. And yet I see people who I know are financially able let their kids wear dirty ill-fitting clothes or have yellow teeth. Or girls with long, matted hair.

Larrabee

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2011, 12:54:03 PM »

One of the things that truly baffles me the most is one of the ones that makes me seem intolerant. It baffles me when i see people who have the means to do so let the basic personal care of their children slide. Clean, maintained hair (as in, if the kid wants long hair and doesn't want it cut it should at least be brushed & tangle-free), clean appropriate clothes that fit, teeth brushed. End of story. And yet I see people who I know are financially able let their kids wear dirty ill-fitting clothes or have yellow teeth. Or girls with long, matted hair.

Teeth I'm completely with you on, parents owe it to children to protect their teeth, they only get two chances!

Clothes and hair though, I'm not so sure.  In my limited experience with the under 10s clothes get messy almost instantly so if you wanted them to look perfectly clean all the time you'd end up spending most of their childhood dressing and undressing them or doing laundry.  Not to mention shopping for clothes as you get about a 20 minute window where things fit perfectly.  ;D

I mentioned in another thread recently that I have a hair type that looks tangled and unbrushed as soon as fresh air hits it, so I let people off the hook for that one too.

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2011, 01:35:49 PM »

Teeth I'm completely with you on, parents owe it to children to protect their teeth, they only get two chances!

Clothes and hair though, I'm not so sure.  In my limited experience with the under 10s clothes get messy almost instantly so if you wanted them to look perfectly clean all the time you'd end up spending most of their childhood dressing and undressing them or doing laundry.  Not to mention shopping for clothes as you get about a 20 minute window where things fit perfectly.  ;D

I mentioned in another thread recently that I have a hair type that looks tangled and unbrushed as soon as fresh air hits it, so I let people off the hook for that one too.

This is why I didn't want mention this at first, because it can be taken wrong.

By dirty clothes: I have seen kids wearing the same t-shirt 3-4 days in a row, and it shows (and smells). I mean, filthy. With 3 boys I have waged war on mud, grass stains, blood stains...I'm good, but they are never perfect again, and I don't expect them to be.

By ill-fitting clothes: t-shirts that hang down to almost the knees or pants that are very obviously 3 inches above the ankle. Again, 3 boys, shoestring budget. They grow like weeds. The first week of school my DS10 had 3 pair of jeans that fit great. By Halloween they were noticeably too short for anything but playing football in the mud.

Raising kids, clothing them, keeping them clean, is not easy or cheap. And I am even mroe baffled by the people who allow their children to look like what i mentioned above and yet they have fresh acrylic nails every two weeks and the lastest smart phone in their pocket.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »
I genuinely do not understand the urge to join a line overnight for the release of a new game/book/phone to get it on that day. I am happy to wait a couple of days and get it then without fuss.

The fuss can be kind of fun. I've done it for video games. You've got a group of people, all excited and looking forward to the same thing so you get a little community feeling. I have found that the people who are willing to show up for midnight releases and the like are a happy bunch, and friendlier and more polite than average.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Larrabee

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2011, 03:00:28 PM »

This is why I didn't want mention this at first, because it can be taken wrong.

You're right, sorry.

I forget that this thread is for 'things that baffle you' not 'questions that need answering', I just have a weird compulsion to try and make the best of every scenario so I should probably just leave this thread alone!