Author Topic: Christmas cookie recipes  (Read 2016 times)

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
Christmas cookie recipes
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:37:06 PM »
I'm planning to make a bunch of cookies to give out around Christmas, and thought it would be nice to do something other than the frosted cream cheese sugar kind I usually make (I'll post the recipe if there's interest).  I'm thinking of making a big batch of dough to keep in the freezer, so I can take it out and use as needed.

Just Lori

• USA
Re: Christmas cookie recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
Cathy has a recipe for rugalah that I always want to attempt, yet I'm afraid I'll wind up with lopsided cookies.

I'm pretty standard when it comes to holiday cookies - snickerdoodles, spritz cookies, molasses cookies and the peanut butter cookies with a Hershey's Kiss.  These are also a big family favorite:

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/403/sparkling-butter-toffee-cookies

These are very easy and fast:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Raspberry-Ribbons

And now I'm going to sit back and wait for others to share their recipes, so I can expand my offerings this year. :)

buvezdevin

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »
La la la, pay no attention to the person posting shamelessly for some good cookie recipes...
Except, General Jinjur, I would be interested in your recipe for cream cheese sugar cookies, and Just Lori, those recipes sound yummy.  (I don't bake a great deal, but love the idea of making holiday cookies, however, I have no specific recommendations to share, just lots of gratitude for others!)
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Kasia_Kiwi

• Yarn for the Road
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »
I love ginger and gingerbread cookies in the winter :D.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/big-soft-ginger-cookies/detail.aspx

I use this recipe and it always wins. It feezes well too. For my part I do replace the margarine with butter, because butter is divine.
Read about my time in scotland: http://yarnfortheroad.wordpress.com/

POF

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:50:11 PM »
I make

almond sugar cookie cutouts ... seriously awesome
molasses spice cookies - these are everyone's fav .. they have black pepper in the spices and they really pop !
chocolate chip
M & M butter cookies
Peanut butter kisses
Anisette cookies
Thin mints  ( easy easy easy ... melt mint chocolate chips, dip ritz crackers, harden in fridge ) ... my boys devour these
Toffee candy

I am looking for an AWESOME oatmeal raisin cookie.... soft cookie that doesn't have a grainy sugary taste - anyone want to share.

I'll be happy to post any of these if you want them.

buvezdevin

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
I now long for a molasses spice cookie recipe with pepper in it.  That sounds awesome.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:42:13 AM »
Cranberry-Oatmeal is really yummy this time of year. And now I'm reminded that's it's been a while since I've made them myself. Something to do tomorrow!  :)

Technically it calls for strawberries, but I use cranberries and omit the white chocolate chips (don't care for them).

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/white-chocolate-strawberry-oatmeal-cookies-10000001611719/

POF

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 07:26:45 AM »
I now long for a molasses spice cookie recipe with pepper in it.  That sounds awesome.

Don't have time to type it in until later ... but yeah ... these are awesome !

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »
Cranberry-Oatmeal is really yummy this time of year. And now I'm reminded that's it's been a while since I've made them myself. Something to do tomorrow!  :)

Technically it calls for strawberries, but I use cranberries and omit the white chocolate chips (don't care for them).

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/white-chocolate-strawberry-oatmeal-cookies-10000001611719/

Um, when you say cranberries, are you talking about fresh cranberries or Craisins?  Because I have a mother-in-law who loves the Cranberry Oatmeal cookie dough that the kids sell each year, and I could earn some serious brownie (cookie?) points with her over these.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 09:28:48 AM »
I do a traditional shortbread, a traditional gingerbread - both rolled and cut with Christmas cookie cutters and the gingerbread decorated with icing.

I also do pecan balls and almond crescents which are a shortbread type base with ground nuts in them.

And last year, I added a cranbery white chocolate shortbread that uses craisins and white chocolate chips.  They were really good so I'll be doing them again.  The recipe is already posted somewhere on here and I hope I can find it again because I'm not sure I can find the card...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Mal

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »
Oooh I should post Elisen-Lebkuchen, Spekulatius and Vanillkipferl here...

pendragon1980

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 09:36:26 AM »
These aren't specifically Xmas cookies but I make a big batch every year about this time. I'm been experimenting with adding different kinds of chips to them as well.  This year I'm debating with peppermint chips to make a Peppermint Mocha Cookies

Cappuccino Crinkles

1/3  cup butter (no substitutes), softened  1  cup packed brown sugar  2/3  cup unsweetened cocoa powder  1  tablespoon instant coffee granules  1  teaspoon baking soda  1  teaspoon ground cinnamon  2   egg whites  1/3  cup vanilla yogurt  1-1/2  cups all-purpose flour  1/4  cup granulated sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, cocoa powder, coffee granules, baking soda, and cinnamon. Beat until combined, scraping sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in egg whites and yogurt until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon.  Place granulated sugar in a small bowl. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons into sugar and roll into balls. Roll again in sugar. Place balls 2 inches apart on an cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool. Makes about 32.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
It wouldn't be Christmas if we didn't make gingerbreads (to decorate), Cardamom Butter Cookies (http://www.food.com/recipe/christmas-cardamom-butter-cookies-13275) and Pfeffernusse (http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Pfeffernusse-_german-Pepper-Nut-Cookies-_-Recipezaar)
The days are long but the years are short.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 10:52:32 AM »

Um, when you say cranberries, are you talking about fresh cranberries or Craisins?  Because I have a mother-in-law who loves the Cranberry Oatmeal cookie dough that the kids sell each year, and I could earn some serious brownie (cookie?) points with her over these.

Oh, the dried variety. :) I'd also double the recipe b/c the dough doesn't make too many. While it's been a while since I've made them, I remember them being very yummy!

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 12:31:37 PM »
These look awesome!

Of course I can't find my cream cheese sugar cookie recipe. I think it must be on DH's computer. But this one looks right (although I don't use almond extract, and I add a dash of salt).