Author Topic: Stew help!  (Read 526 times)

Nellop

Stew help!
« on: November 16, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »
This is the first ever Christmas I'll be spending without my parents and siblings (I know... let's start the Violins...)

They're off for a sunny holiday, and so this Christmas it'll just be me and the bloke. I don't want the hassle of cooking a full roast for just the two of us - so I have my heart set on making a nice hearty stew in my sparkly new slow cooker.

If any of you have any tried and tested recipes for a wonderful stew I'd love to hear it!
I tell funny stories and draw terrible drawings:

http://exacerbationofthesituation.blogspot.com

darling

Re: Stew help!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »
This isn't a traditional stew recipe, by any means, but this is what I've done in the past.

Stew meat
2 packets of McCormick (or other brand) brown gravy
6 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (or you can just scrub them, and leave the skin on)
1 good sized onion - wedged
carrots (baby carrots if you are in a hurry)
mushrooms (fresh, cleaned, and sliced - buy pre-sliced if in a hurry)
any other veg you might like in stew (if you use canned green beans or peas, add them about 15 minutes before serving)

Throw everything except any canned veggies into the crockpot. Mix up the gravy mix and 2 cups water, pour over all of the stuff in the crockpot, and stir until food is coated. Turn crockpot on, cover, and stir once about halfway through. Stew is done when the potatoes are done (according to me, anyway, LOL). Serve with fresh bread or biscuits, and enjoy lots of leftovers.

Like I said, this is just the way I make it, and it's nothing special. Most of the time, I have to leave out the carrots because my son doesn't like them. Now I'm going to have to make stew!  ;D

Chip2

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
1-2 pounds of stew meat (use the ungulate of your choice; I like bison and lamb)
1 cup each carrots, celery, and mushrooms, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2-1 cup onion (I like more) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2+ cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
Salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, basil (and/or whatever else you like) to taste (start with a teaspoon of salt and a half teaspoon of the spices)
Enough water to cover (or use half water and half beef stock or beer)
Optional:  1 pound bag of frozen veggies of your choice, 1 can of diced tomatos

I start by lightly coating the meat with flour and browning it with a little olive oil.  When that's done I add a little more oil and sautee the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes, then add the liquid(s), bulk veggies, and spices.  Throw in the frozen veggies and tomatos about 30 minutes before serving.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:35:59 PM »
I've heard good things about Ina Garten's recipe for Beef Bourguignon. It's not a slow cooker recipe, though, and it's better on the second day.

MOM21SON

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
Da best! ;D

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beef-stew-vi/detail.aspx

I double the thickening and add a thawed bad of frozen peas at the end.