Author Topic: Charity Guilt Trip  (Read 27309 times)

audrey1962

Re: Charity Guilt Trip
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2012, 08:51:59 AM »
I simply say "no thank you" and keep walking. I've never had a problem with being followed or badgered. Don't try to reason with them or explain. IMO, that's just engaging the crazy.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2012, 09:09:49 AM »
Chuggers!  Love that term.  Here we get the Red Religion Bell Ringers literally blocking the doors of virtually all businesses for a couple of months each year.  I dread going shopping.  They get pretty snarky and pushy when you say, "No, thank you," or just walk by. The local branch office is just as bad, and actually supports this behavior.  We cannot support religions other than OurSect Buddhism, period.  I look Elsewherian, as I am Elsewherian-American, and can tell them all this in fluent and sometimes annoyed Elsewherian, confounding them, but the Professor looks Majority American and cannot get away from them that easily, because, although his Elsewherian is fluent, he does not look Elsewherian. His solution is to either slink off unhappily or, if he has ten minutes, tell them ALL about OurSect Buddhism and why he cannot contribute to their faith or its charities, which dispense sermons along with the charity.  Often, though, they STILL do not get why he cannot give money to support their religion! Please move away from the doors, folks, and please do not get snarky or sarcastic with those who pass you by.  I guarantee your karma will be the better for it.

If you are talking about the Salvation Army, there is something seriously wrong in that chapter. They are not supposed to be pushy or engage at all if someone doesn't approach them first.

Take the problem up with the local office. They employ people and need to know that said employees' activities are detrimental to their cause and their standing in the neighborhood. If they make you feel that intimidated, it should be worth a phone call.

Also, talk to the manager of the store. The buckets are supposed to be a cetain distance from the door and not to hinder the entrance or the exit -- you did say "literally" blocking the doors. That' sven against fire code!

I simply say "no thank you" and keep walking. I've never had a problem with being followed or badgered. Don't try to reason with them or explain. IMO, that's just engaging the crazy.

Add this. Do not make eye contact.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »
Wow, I find them pretty annoying, but that's just because after dealing with the madness that even routine shopping becomes at that time of year, the last thing I want is some stupid bell giving me a headache. I have NEVER been badgered by them - just a friendly greeting in passing, and that rotten bell.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture