Author Topic: The problem of creating a new account  (Read 2647 times)

MiamiHeat87

• Life Student
  • The best way out is always through.
The problem of creating a new account
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
Hello everybody,

I registered to ask a basic question on etiquette but that took a backseat when I found out how DIFFICULT it is to even get an account here. I am really surprised by how many people are here, but perhaps for some reason my IP or username kept getting rejected for some plausible reason.

I originally tried to join this community about 3 weeks ago or a month. The first problem is the verification system to prevent bots from joining. I've joined numerous forums because I was an avid gamer. I have created them, moderated them, and been a long time member of some. Never until I attempted registering for yours, did I have so many issues getting past the anti bot letter identification!

And while you may say, "Just listen to the letters" - in case you do I would argue that if it is a common way of overcoming the system (I am assuming if others had this problem), then that should be the only way and not having the  faulty image verification present. Also, I only have an iPhone or iPad available most of the time and the listen option would not work for me.

The few times I would get through this by chance or skill, it seemed my application would get deny! I don't know for sure because I never ot a denial email or follow up, but I had to assume this as well by seeing how my account could be logges in but had a message of awaiting approval, and then a few days later my account would no longer exist.

There was no option to askfor help if you are not registered. I had to have an account to ask for help and this proved extremely problematic in my situation. I resorted to posting a comment onthe blog pleading for help which went nowhere as well!

So finally to my surprise, I see I have been approved. The difference I dis was doing it at a Windows computer. So i'm not sure what happened, but this site has already stressed me a lot. I don't give much credibility to other forums or places to ask because this seems to be the most active and established forum of etiquette.

I wished strongly to be here and have finally prevailed, but if others had the same problem as me and it is not just me - the admins here really need to a least have a help email for guests at a minimum.

I thank whoever approved me.

Oh my god, I see another verification at the bottom to post this thread. Really?
Discipline must be a habit so engrained that it is stronger than the excitement of battle or the fear of death.

SiotehCat

Re: The problem of creating a new account
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »
Sorry you had such a hard time. I don't remember it being that difficult when I signed up.

For me, it would have been worth it though. I have gotten so much good advice and have learned so much while being here.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:01:29 AM »
  I get DD to help me with those verification thingys, she has no troubles with it at all.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Melle

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:11:03 AM »
I had a bit of trouble with the captchas as well, but apparently they're only there the first few times you post, to discourage bots that might have made it through registration.

As for the registration process itself, I had no problems. And I appreciate every means that is being taken against spamming.

MiamiHeat87

• Life Student
  • The best way out is always through.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »
It is indeed good to have a good system of defense against bots, but I was really frustrated! I only kept trying because any other place did not seem as good as here. I'm glad I was finally able to get through. Haha. It is such a relief!

I wanted to bring this to attention to let others know that it does happen, and to hopefully keep an eye out for it and have some backup or help option for those having trouble.
Discipline must be a habit so engrained that it is stronger than the excitement of battle or the fear of death.

edgypeanuts

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
I agree that it is REALLY difficult (heck I'd call it impossible) to see the letters for the verification.  I have to listen to it to understand what they are, and then try to tell from the picture if they are capitalized or not and that sometimes takes several guesses to get it right. 

I understand the need for verification, and I am accustomed to it from other sites, but the images on ehell are unreadable.  I have been reading for awhile, but only a member for a few weeks.  Often I go to post and get to the bottom and decide it is not worth it and just delete my post.  Esp if I don't want to go get my headphones and I don't want to wake my husband up by listening to the letters.