Author Topic: Random Thanksgiving guests  (Read 1600 times)

kkl123

Random Thanksgiving guests
« on: November 22, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
This is my husband's story, from about 40 years ago....

He was a student at a boarding school in Massachusetts; his parents lived in Trinidad at the time, and the Thanksgiving break was too short for him to get to Trinidad and back.  He spent several Thanksgivings with the dorm masters, etc, but the one he remembers most vividly is being asked to go home with one of the other kids.

Thanksgiving was A Very Big Day at that house... a big farmhouse out in the woods in rural Pennsylvania.  Porch railings with cooling pies all lined up; extra tables made of plywood sheets and sawhorses set up, and relatives, relatives of relatives, friends of relatives and relatives of friends.  There's a knock on the door about an hour before dinner was served, and it's a pair of newlyweds.  Host offers them drinks, tells them where various activity groups are located, and they settle in to socialize.   

Just before dessert, there have been enough family stories told that the couple looked at each other uneasily, and then finally one asked if this was 123 Cherry Lane.  No, it's 456 Elm Road, Cherry Lane is about half a mile north.  That's when everyone realized that Newlyweds weren't related to a soul at this house, and were actually expected at dinner at Cherry Lane.  Calls were made (dinner was being held at the other house), apologies all around, and the couple was sent on their way with a guide and a pie as a peace offering.

DH says it was his idea of the perfect Thanksgiving.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Random Thanksgiving guests
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »
That's fantastic.  Our house never had that many people but I can totally see my Mom inviting two strangers in and feeding them dinner.

We used to always have another family over for Thanksgiving dinner.  The daughter was away at university but coming home for the weekend.  There was a German student who was otherwise going to be staying in residence so the daughter invited her along.  Her mother said, you'd better call OGMom and make sure it's OK to bring another person!  Of course, it was.  And when the GS saw the size of the bird, she was amazed!

It was probably a 25 pounder.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ehelluser

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 01:21:08 PM »
Something similar happened to a friend of mine. 

She has a large family that gathers for Sunday dinner every week alternating homes each week.   Family members also often bring friends to dinner.  One Sunday, dinner was at the home of one family member who lives on a fairly main road.  Before dinner a young lady walked in the door and sat down in the living room with everyone else.  She was warmly greeted and everyone thought she must be a friend of someone else in attendance.     After listening to the conversation for a while the girl spoke up and asked if this was the half-way house.  It finally came to light that she was supposed to be attending an AA type meeting at the half-way house about a half mile down the road.  She saw all the cars in the yard and figured that had to be the right place! 

After everyone had a good laugh they sent her on her way with clear directions to the proper location.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
I love these stories.    ;D

As Introverted as I am, I would like to think I never met a "stranger".  When it comes to holidays, the more the merrier!  My grandparents hosted foreign college students at their Thanksgiving table for years; it was always interesting to talk with them and learn their stories. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

gingerzing

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »
I can totally see my grandma doing that...In fact, not overly sure she didn't on occasion. 

My mom has done a couple things similar, but not quite as dramatic as random strangers. 

what fun.

Betelnut

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »
What I like about the story is that nobody, including the hosts, realized that the couple were strays for such a long time!  That is awesome!
Native Texan, Marylander currently