Author Topic: Does your work let you off early for holidays?  (Read 4158 times)

stargazer

• Super Hero!
Does your work let you off early for holidays?
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »
I'm just kind of curious so I put it here.  Does your work let you leave early on the days before a holiday?  It varies slightly in our company with different groups but generally are let off a few hours early.  My old group is leaving around 1pm.   My current big boss is awesome and told us all we could leave at noon today.  My boss also agreed that since three of us usually worked from home on Fridays (instead of Mondays as others do) that we could work from home today. 

Does anyone else get off work early?

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Does your work let you off early for holidays?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:46:52 AM »
We officially get out a half a day early on Christmas Eve and one hour early on New Year's Eve.
Many people leave early on Thanksgiving Eve but you have to take vacation hours for that.

gingerzing

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
For Thanksgiving:
When I first started at this office, the Powers-That-Be would often close up shop at 3PM on the day before Thanksgiving but not let us know until midmorning or noon. Which was annoying to our mailroom staff because that meant that someone still had to be here for mail pickup at 4.  They could cancel the mail pickup the day before, but not the day of. 
Christmas Eve: Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Depending on who was actually at the office. And usually only if Christmas was the next day.  They would often do the same as above.

Currently, the VP & CEO announce fairly early about holidays.  Example:
We had an all staff meeting Monday morning.  CEO announced at the end of the meeting that those of us working Tuesday and Wednesday could wear jeans and Wednesday we would be closing at noon. 

Not sure about Christmas since it falls on the weekend.  Probably not getting out early Friday.

Reika

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »
It depends. The offical close time for my office is 3 pm, but my call center is open until 6, but depending on dead, there's rumbling of letting some of us out early.

My supervisor was awesome though, since we weren't allowed to close the call center down as early as the rest of the building, she got the okay to pass out 2 hours of comp time that's good for the future.

cattlekid

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »
Our office building traditionally closes at 3PM the day before a holiday.  Each department may adjust that as they see fit.  They used to wait to announce it until the day of, but everyone came to expect it so HR decided to send out an email about a week ahead of time just so people could plan (and they could cut off all the questions).

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:02:10 PM »
My office has two departments.  Someone has to man the phones on each side until 5:00 every day except on Christmas Eve (or equivalent), the person from the other department stays until 5:00 and on New Year's Eve (or equivalent), the person from our department stays until 5:00.

Usually, we are let go early but we don't find out until just before.  Most of us eat our lunches at our desks on those days so that when we get the call at 1:00 that we can leave at 2:00, we can take our lunch at 1:00 and clear out.

When it is not actually the Eve day, we are usually let go later - more like 3:00.

Thanksgiving in Canada isn't as big a deal and we don't get let go early.  Nor for any other holiday long weekend.  If you want to leave early, you use vacation time.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:07:03 PM »
I'm retired, but when I was working, there was always an informal "leave early" policy on the day before Thanksgiving and Christmas & New Year's eves.

The only deal was that each office had to be covered until real quitting time. The head honcho's office staff would call around at 3 PM or so and say "Honcho says staff can leave now."  No leaving before Honcho said it was OK.

I was senior enough that I pretty much got first choice of when to take time off. For many years, I let it be known that I would take vacation time on Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas. In return, I would cover the office on the day before Thanksgiving and New Year's eve. As soon as Honcho gave the word, I'd go park myself at the receptionist's desk until it was time to leave. One of th eJewish employees usually volunteered to stay on Christmas Eve.

Most other offices rotated the clerical staff to be the one that stayed, but my section had an "institutional culture" that the higher the rank, the more you had an obligation to give other staff a break.

There were rarely any calls or visitors, although one year I did get an obscene phone call.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:25:30 PM »
Over the years, it's varied, depending on the company.  My first job, they did nothing.  there was no "official" early closing policy, but the higher ups would always be gone, leaving the rest of us to the mercy of our individual bosses.  And mine generally wouldn't let me go, but it was ok for HER to take off early. I got to the point where I'd leave shortly after she did, as we went in opposite directions, and she had a long train ride, and this was also before cell phones.  She really irked me one time; she left about 3:30, then told me I could leave at 4:30 - really? I was gone 10 minutes after her!

Until this job, it was alwasy either last minute, or at the bosses' discretion, which we know doesn't always go well (see above).

In my current job, initially, our president wasn't really interested in anything but himself, so he'd be out, so he couldn't be bothered with the rest of us.

our current prez, is a whole other ball of wax.  Pretty much every holiday we get an email several days before, and we normally close at 2 the day before any major holiday, NY Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Memorial day, 4th of July and Labor Day.  Additionally, we have a half day the last day before Christmas, so if Chrismas Eve is friday, we'd be off, and have 1/2 Thursday.  Which is nice as we can plan ahead.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »
Not for Thanksgiving.

The week of/before Christmas, all libraries close at 6PM every day, instead of regular closing hours.
I have pet mice!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 12:54:25 PM »

Sometimes, it depends on how busy we are. Plus, my little piece of the corporation was 51% bought out by another company back in the beginning of the year, so i guess we'll see. We used to do a lottery and draw names to see who could go early for those who were able to.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
Yeah. I hope to leave around 2 or 230ish.

ixiva

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 12:58:58 PM »
Nope, working in retail, holidays and in particular Xmas, mean more hours rather than less with the store staying open until 9pm during peak trading times, and my company has even put a ban on any employees taking any holiday entitlement from mid-November through to January.   

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »
Our office is closed the day before Thanksgiving which is awesome. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »
The school district closes on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and of course later on for Christmas break  ;D.

As for Tuesday before, a lot of students are checked out by noon.   Most teachers aren't doing anything big, more like movies or field trips.

KimberlyM

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »
Boss man usually sends everyone home early, but how early we never know.  It depends on how busy the phones are.  Chances are he'll send everyone home around 3, but once or twice we've been here all day. 

Friday isn't technically a day off, but only one or two people ever actually show up.  I've been here 9 years and twice I've come in the day after Thanksgiving only to be sent home by 11 or 12.  I will probably come in Friday because I was home yesterday with a sick kid so I need to get some more hours in.  I was here an hour early this morning for the same reason.  If boss sends us home early and it's unplanned, we still get a full days pay, but if we just leave early, you clock out when you go.