Author Topic: Bizarre Holiday Food Traditions  (Read 16739 times)

magicdomino

Re: Bizarre Holiday Food Traditions
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »
Miss Manners recently said that canned cranberry sauce is properly served by slicing and fanning the slices out horizontally.  However, I find the intact cylinder type of presentation amusing, especially when the cylinder is vertical. 

And I am seriously going to consider a random bowl of bacon when I host Christmas dinner. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
Not bizarre, to me, because it comes from my Portuguese Gramma's family....a little vinegar added to the turkey stuffing.  YUM!!!!  She did this with stuffed bell peppers, too, which she stuffed with bread stuffing. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 03:48:34 PM »
Miss Manners recently said that canned cranberry sauce is properly served by slicing and fanning the slices out horizontally.  However, I find the intact cylinder type of presentation amusing, especially when the cylinder is vertical. 

And I am seriously going to consider a random bowl of bacon when I host Christmas dinner.
It won't roll around on the dish if you cut it in half lengthwise.  Whoops!  How'd I know that?!
We use canned, but my husband likes the whole berry kind.  I don't care because to me it's like a condiment.  I love cranberry orange relish, tho, made from scratch.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

yokozbornak

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 03:49:20 PM »

Bowls of bacon are made of win!  ;D

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »
I've never had the cranberry jelly log or green bean casserole, but I'm dying to try these two legendary foods.  Only if the beans are fresh and not from a can though.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
none of those things strike me as anyting close to bizarre.  Those are all pretty mild examples of different stylistic or personal taste preferences.  ???

buvezdevin

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »
Count me in on the soon-to-be-established "random bowl of bacon" for big family spreads (what a truly wonderful thing...)

For the slightly bizarre of my own family's holiday foods:  for most of my life, certainly going back to the first holiday meals I can remember, my mother would *always* include a plate of prunes, stuffed with a bit of cream cheese and topped with a pecan.  This particular item was never present at any meal except TG and Christmas. 

Other than a few tastes out of curiosity as children, my brothers and I never partook of this item.  Perhaps not very oddly, I don't recall any other family members or guests partaking, either, beyond a polite "give it a try.". We joked amongst ourselves, and with my good-natured mother about this tradition for decades, and a few years ago, she stopped making what I had come to think of as an odd adornment to the traditional sideboard spread.

I miss seeing those unappealing, though apparently not entirely unloved little atrocities.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 06:34:06 PM »
A boyfriend took me to a Christmas Eve dinner at a family friend's house.  Everyone had to eat a prune for good luck, the hostess was insistent.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
<--- is eating green bean casserole right now

My MIL has this bizarre dish that she only makes around Christmas. It's this layered trifle-sort of thing with Cool Whip and canned cranberry sauce, and that's it. I think sometimes she tops it with graham cracker crumbs. She touts it like it's the most amazing dish ever. Mmm, not really...it's Cool Whip layered with canned cranberry sauce... ::)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 06:41:18 PM »
A boyfriend took me to a Christmas Eve dinner at a family friend's house.  Everyone had to eat a prune for good luck, the hostess was insistent.

OK, forcing somebody to eat a prune comes a little close to bizarre. 

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »
Slightly off topic, as it's not my holiday tradition, but the thought of using cream of vegetable soup as a base for a casserole/salad is absolutely bizzare for me (and not in a good way) cream of whatever soup is served as soup in my house. Crazy, but there you go.  >:D

We all bring a plate to our Christmas lunch and every year, without fail, my SIL brings a small potato salad. There's never enough to go round.

Victoria

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »
Slightly off topic, as it's not my holiday tradition, but the thought of using cream of vegetable soup as a base for a casserole/salad is absolutely bizzare for me (and not in a good way) cream of whatever soup is served as soup in my house. Crazy, but there you go.  >:D

We all bring a plate to our Christmas lunch and every year, without fail, my SIL brings a small potato salad. There's never enough to go round.

what would be a sane base for a casserole in your opinion?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 07:08:40 PM »
I use a plain white sauce.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »

made of what?

buvezdevin

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »

made of what?

A plain white sauce is usually flour, butter, milk and maybe salt.  You cook the flour a bit in melted butter, add milk and cook to thicken.  Used to be very standard, and with variations and additions, is a base for homemade Mac n Cheese among other very common dishes - the cans of soup recipes came along in many cases as modifications to dishes which originally used white sauce.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain