Author Topic: Subversive Holiday Trees.  (Read 1073 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Subversive Holiday Trees.
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »
Years ago in the museum, we were putting together a show.  All the labels had to be vetted through Education for readability.  Unfortunately, at the time, education was dominated by a group of guerilla feminists.  We were told that the entire show was unacceptably androcentric.  They didn't use the term 'androcentric'. The term they used was considerably more graphic.

We decided to have a little fun and put together an 'Androcentric' Christmas tree.  Every ornament on the tree was something you'd expect to find on an ordinary tree but every last one was also a male symbol.  There were animals; a lion, a rooster, a bison, a stallion.

There were cute little wooden figures; a football player, a weightlifter, a cowboy and a soldier. 

Glass ornaments included the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, a pickle, a cigar and a chili pepper. 

You get the idea.

Ironically, the people from Education never got the joke. 

Have you ever made or seen a slightly subversive Christmas Tree?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Subversive Holiday Trees.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »
Does it count if the subversive part was secret?

I grew up attending a little church in Wisconsin, and our pastor was SO proud of the "Chrismon(?) Tree" in the sanctuary.  I think the point was to re-take a pagan tradition by only including ornaments which were symbols of Jesus's reign, or something like that.  He lectured a full sermon about it every year, and the adults probably knew what he was talking about, but I never quite got it.  I think the "Chrismon" was short for Christ Monograms, perhaps?

Anyway, I was up in the front of the sanctuary after service one day and happened to notice that (this being Wisconsin) someone had hung a big gaudy Green Bay Packers ornament inside the tree.  You couldn't see it except from the back, from one specific angle, and the ornament was near the trunk instead of on the tips of the branches, but obviously someone thought the Green Bay Packers deserved equal billing with the Chrismon ornaments  :P

(Not surprising, though - the Green Bay Packers are virtually a religion in Wisconsin.  The year I taught 6th grade Sunday School, one of the kids draw Packer helmets on all the disciples on his art project.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:00:24 AM »
Sure, secret subversion is just fine.  In fact, only the people who put the Androcentric tree together knew what was going on.  So far as we know, nobody else ever got the joke.

BTW, we have relatives in Wisconsin who own stock in the Packers.  We understand the mystique of the team.  The idea of putting helmets on the Apostles was brilliant.  After all, a Packer helmet isn't much different than a halo, is it?

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:30:23 AM »
That androcentric tree is hilarious.   ;D

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »
Does it count if the subversive part was secret?

I grew up attending a little church in Wisconsin, and our pastor was SO proud of the "Chrismon(?) Tree" in the sanctuary.  I think the point was to re-take a pagan tradition by only including ornaments which were symbols of Jesus's reign, or something like that.  He lectured a full sermon about it every year, and the adults probably knew what he was talking about, but I never quite got it.  I think the "Chrismon" was short for Christ Monograms, perhaps?

Anyway, I was up in the front of the sanctuary after service one day and happened to notice that (this being Wisconsin) someone had hung a big gaudy Green Bay Packers ornament inside the tree.  You couldn't see it except from the back, from one specific angle, and the ornament was near the trunk instead of on the tips of the branches, but obviously someone thought the Green Bay Packers deserved equal billing with the Chrismon ornaments  :P

(Not surprising, though - the Green Bay Packers are virtually a religion in Wisconsin.  The year I taught 6th grade Sunday School, one of the kids draw Packer helmets on all the disciples on his art project.)

Oh, love Chrismon trees! They're probably more common in liturgical churches, like Catholic, Lutheran, and Episcopal. Wikipedia told me that The term "chrismon" comes from the Latin phrase "Christi Monogramma", meaning "monogram of Christ". Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrismon

And the Packers thing is hilarious.  ;D
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:50:20 AM »
I don't know if this counts...

Before we moved into the new house we had a flood in the basement of our rental. We were able to salvage 90% of the things stored, but when the garage got full we put the Christmas tree box in our hallway. It was starting to disintegrate (the box, not the tree) so out of frustration from cleaning up bits of musty smelling cardboard I put the tree up and threw the box away. It was only early October. So, I decorated it....with tiny hanging bones and Halloween lights. We made strings of halloween candy. at Thanksgiving the kids colored construction paper feathers and when I found a string of busted Turkey lights DH cut the heads off and we hung them as ornaments. We had so much fun hanging whatever we could find on the tree I was almost disappointed when Christmas rolled around and I had to decorate it for real.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
I've ever encountered A Christmon tree but it's an interesting concept.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, there was a fashion for the Jesse Tree.  The idea was that there were 24 generations between Adam & Eve and Jesus.  Each generation was represented by an ornament and one was hung each day of December.  An apple represented Adam & Eve.  Noah was represented by a little ark or a pair of animals.  A harp stood for King David and so forth. 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
Kinda.  I live in Chicago.  Yet every year, I can't seem to keep myself from throwing my Detroit Redwings ornament up there somewhere...I'm actually very surprised it hasn't had an "accident" yet, LOL