Author Topic: Is it rude (when asked what you want) to tell what you DON'T want?  (Read 2829 times)

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
Re: Is it rude (when asked what you want) to tell what you DON'T want?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 02:16:11 PM »
I would appreciate knowing what to get AND what NOT to get. Not rude at all, if someone is asking.

dawbs

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »
OP, if you do mention it, keep in mind that some people just hear and associate.
If I told my dad "please, no X", he would hear "dawbs =/= X" wouldn't get me X.  If I told my mom "please, no X", she would hear "dawbs...x...dawbs=x" and I know what would be in my stocking.

Handle it carefully, know how they listen  ;)

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 06:27:33 PM »
You can certainly gush about how much you like real books, and say that e-readers aren't your style. I wouldn't be too vehemently anti-ereader; if your family is like mine, they buy it for you, and then ask it if it's the sort of thing you'd like!

I know you wouldn't want to, but you can always return it if you get one - or donate it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »
If somebody asked I might laugh and say "Oh, I don't know - I think I'm the only person in the country who doesn't want an iPad/nook/whatever so I don't know what to ask for..."

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 11:54:58 PM »
OP, if you do mention it, keep in mind that some people just hear and associate.
If I told my dad "please, no X", he would hear "dawbs =/= X" wouldn't get me X.  If I told my mom "please, no X", she would hear "dawbs...x...dawbs=x" and I know what would be in my stocking.

Handle it carefully, know how they listen  ;)

I agree!  This was my first thought - if you just mention it in passing they might actually think it's some kind of hint, or get the item stuck in their head.  So have to be addressed carefully!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »
I do it in a round-a-bout sort of way. I'll tell my husband what I don't want, because I know he compares notes with my other family members about gifts so that there are no duplicates (the year that I received three copies of the Return of the King extended edition DVD spawned this). That way if someone says to DH "I was going to get LadyClaire an XYZ", he can tell them "Oh, no, she doesn't want one of those. Better get her something like an ABC instead."

I told him this year, I do not want any household things. Ever since we bought the house, on my birthday and on christmas I've received things like dish towels and steam cleaners and cooking utensils from everyone. Honestly, it's a bit disappointing when everyone is opening Fun Shiny Things and I'm opening a pack of oven mitts or a set of wall-mounted coat hooks.