Author Topic: Is it rude to ask for an opinion if you don't really care?  (Read 7971 times)

wyliefool

Re: Is it rude to ask for an opinion if you don't really care?
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
OP, I sympathize with your frustration.  You tried to avoid giving a specific number - she's the one who insisted on knowing it.  It would feel kinda like a setup to me, I think. If somebody made that big a point of getting that information form a spouse it would lead the spouse to believe that having that very specific information was very important.

That's probably the main problem. This happens w/ me and DH a lot.

DH--What do you want for dinner?
Me--Oh I dunno, whatever you want.
DH--Well, what? Pizza, chinese, ...?
Me--I don't really have a strong opinion on it. What do you want?
DH--I asked you first!  ::)
[This has, in the past, gone on for quite a while, so now I tend to cut to--]
Me--How about pizza?
DH--I'd rather get chinese.
Me--::headdesk!!::

It's like browbeating me for an opinion is done for the express purpose of finding out what he  wants to vote against. Argh!

OT, but this whole thread reminds me og a standup comedy routine.  ;D

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »
OP, I have this when I and other people go out to eat so I do a variation of give me three choices/I'll give you three choices.  One of us gives the name of three potential restaurants the other chooses one out of the three.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »
OP, I sympathize with your frustration.  You tried to avoid giving a specific number - she's the one who insisted on knowing it.  It would feel kinda like a setup to me, I think. If somebody made that big a point of getting that information form a spouse it would lead the spouse to believe that having that very specific information was very important.

That's probably the main problem. This happens w/ me and DH a lot.

DH--What do you want for dinner?
Me--Oh I dunno, whatever you want.
DH--Well, what? Pizza, chinese, ...?
Me--I don't really have a strong opinion on it. What do you want?
DH--I asked you first!  ::)
[This has, in the past, gone on for quite a while, so now I tend to cut to--]
Me--How about pizza?
DH--I'd rather get chinese.
Me--::headdesk!!::

It's like browbeating me for an opinion is done for the express purpose of finding out what he  wants to vote against. Argh!

OT, but this whole thread reminds me og a standup comedy routine.  ;D

I agree! I think that some people completely blank if faced with too many choices (Chinese, Italian, Pizza, Thai, Fish and Chips - no wait, there is also Mexican or maybe a burger) and can't prioritize them. However, when someone gives them one choice (Pizza), there are a lot less variables and they can then identify that they would like Chinese more than pizza.