Author Topic: Unwanted Food Gifts  (Read 2964 times)

Texas Mom

Unwanted Food Gifts
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »
What do you do when people ignore your requests?

I say thank you and take a small taste.

I then throw it away or send the to the office with DH (if it's edible).

Does anyone have any ideas about how to discourage the practice without hurting feelings?

Ulla dances in a silly way

• Super Secret Level 5 Ninja Wizard
  • Only a little off.
Re: Unwanted Food Gifts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:18:32 PM »
If you have already made your wishes known and are still getting the gifts, I would treat it like any gift that I do not like: thank the giver and discretely dispose of later.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »
I'd do the same; some people either just don't get it, or don't care.  And since its food, its not like its something you have to display when they come to visit!  I'd just give it away, take it to work, etc.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:51:10 PM »
Accept graciously and dispose of later.  After all, a gift isn't mandatory so just smile and say 'thank you.'   Sorry I don't have better advice but there's really no nice way to say "your gift stinks."  ;)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »
I agree with PP who've said say thank you and dispose of it in the way you see fit.  My favorite uncle sends me jars of this absolutely putrid sugar-free jelly that he orders from a catalog.  Fortunately, the mother of DS's best friend thinks it's wonderful.  I just keep giving them to her.

Ulla dances in a silly way

• Super Secret Level 5 Ninja Wizard
  • Only a little off.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:36:20 PM »
Also, completely off topic but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWTs0YT928

A song called "Present Face" about that look you get when you get an awful present. Just a note: This song is work safe but all Garfunkle and Oates songs are definitely not! Be careful clicking to any of their other videos!

poundcake

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
Some people give food gifts so that the recipient can use them, not necessarily eat them him/herself. If someone gives you a plate of cookies even though you've said "I hate sugar cookies," they may be doing so thinking that you might like some extras to serve to holiday guests.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »
Some people give food gifts so that the recipient can use them, not necessarily eat them him/herself. If someone gives you a plate of cookies even though you've said "I hate sugar cookies," they may be doing so thinking that you might like some extras to serve to holiday guests.

Food gifts are big in my family.  The idea is, hopefully the recipient can eat it, but if not, perhaps its good for them to offer guests, and if not, they can bring it to work to share or give it to a neighbor or bring it to a meeting or holiday party, and if not they can throw it out and never have to make up a lie about where it is when the giver visits months later.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 05:01:17 PM »
To be honest, it might mean the difference of me giving you a gift or not at all. If you are OK with that, then I have no issue with it.

I make all my coworkers cookies or candy, because it's cheap. Same thing with neighbors. I tend to get a lot of food gifts, and since it's just me and my husband, we just can't eat it all. I take them politely, and take them to work.

MyFamily

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »
Why do you taste one?  Thank them nicely, put the gift to the side and then send it to your dh's job or to someone you know would enjoy it, like BeagleMommy does.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Faerydust

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:03:09 PM »
I find someone else to give it to! I used to love getting chocolates and cookies as gifts, but I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and now I'm dreading being given food gifts. I will be so tempted to eat it all.

My father loves giving and getting sweets and chocolates as gifts, so I've told him that I would appreciate if he skipped the treats as gifts in the future since my SO and I are both diabetic. With people I'm not as close to, I'll just give the food to someone else.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »
I say thank you and then I take it to work.  :) Though in general I love food gifts, but I'm a fairly non-picky eater and I love a gift that vanishes when I'm done with it instead of cluttering up the house.  >:D

weschicky

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »
If it's always the same person giving icky food gifts, you can try to work your new all-brussels sprouts and live eel/no bread unless made from grain ground by cage-free unicorns/free range tapioca diet into the conversation and see if that helps.  Or mention how you're making a donation as a gift for someone to the local food bank to help out those who need it--making sure your gift is useful (or some similar suggestion). Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing.  Three people stand to benefit-the giver feels good giving, you feel good getting (even if you don't like what you got) and a third party gets to enjoy what you don't want.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »
If it's always the same person giving icky food gifts, you can try to work your new all-brussels sprouts and live eel/no bread unless made from grain ground by cage-free unicorns/free range tapioca diet into the conversation and see if that helps.  Or mention how you're making a donation as a gift for someone to the local food bank to help out those who need it--making sure your gift is useful (or some similar suggestion). Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing.  Three people stand to benefit-the giver feels good giving, you feel good getting (even if you don't like what you got) and a third party gets to enjoy what you don't want.

Slightly off topic, but I tried that diet.  Sure I lost weight!  Couldn't keep the stuff down.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »
Also, completely off topic but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWTs0YT928

A song called "Present Face" about that look you get when you get an awful present. Just a note: This song is work safe but all Garfunkle and Oates songs are definitely not! Be careful clicking to any of their other videos!

:-*

Always happy to meet another G&O fan!
The status is not quo!