A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Santa in the southern hemisphere?

(1/2) > >>

Just Lori:
I know I could look this up, but I'd love to hear Ehellions' recollections of Santa in the southern hemisphere.  (For that matter, any of our warm weather Ehellions could weigh in.)  So much of my Santa recollections involve his sleigh.  We worried that if we didn't have snow, Santa might not be able to make his trip on Christmas Eve.  And when he did visit, he was always wearing his warm, red outfit that kept him warm in the North Pole.

In areas where Christmas falls during the summer months, does Santa wear shorts?  How do children believe he gets around? 

Betelnut:
Good question!  Does Santa live in the South Pole if you live in Australia?

kethria:
I can only speak for Colombia, but Santa doesn't really do presents there. It's all about the Baby Jesus and the 3 Wise Men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_worldwide#Colombia

Huge elaborate Nativity scenes are made and every day Mary and Joseph get a little bit closer to Bethlehem. Then Christmas Eve the Baby Jesus appears in the manger. Then the 3 Wise Men get closer and closer and the finally make it there on Epiphany.

Leafy:
Interesting question. Children in Australia are taught that Santa lives in the North pole, wears a big red suit and flies a sleigh. The sleigh lands on your roof and Santa comes down the chimney - or enters the house in some other magical way if you don't have a chimney.

Novelty Christmas cards will have Santa on the beach in singlet, stubbies (work shorts) and thongs but normal Santa is normal. There is also one Australian Christmas Carol that has Santa riding "snow white boomers" - also known as big male kangaroos. I wouldn't say the stories have been Australianised at all. Oh, we do tend to leave him a beer though.

magicdomino:

--- Quote from: Leafy on December 01, 2011, 05:46:44 PM ---
Novelty Christmas cards will have Santa on the beach in singlet, stubbies (work shorts) and thongs but normal Santa is normal.
--- End quote ---

My brother in New Orleans once sent me a Christmas card that had Santa in a boat pulled by alligators.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version