Author Topic: Can someone help me come up with a good way to do an informal group donation?  (Read 1011 times)

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
This is only sorta holiday related, but I thought it might fit here best.

I belong to a book club full of women I adore, and as it happens I'm hosting our December meeting.  I suggested that since we had read some books this year that had tugged our heartstrings, perhaps we could do a group donation to a charity that we all agree on.  We went back and forth a bit and decided on Heifer International.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how we can all chip in without anyone feeling like their contribution is being compared to anyone else's. 

I was thinking maybe I would get a cute bowl (maybe one with cows on it...hehehehe) and just have everyone drop cash in it at some point in the evening; we could then tally it up, go onto my computer and just make the donation online from my own account and keep the cash.  I guess I'd just have to refrain from claiming the deduction on my taxes.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any suggestions on how to do this fairly.  It seemed like such a simple idea at the time...

doodlemor

I think that you have a good plan, BatCity, because your idea is completely "transparent."  The others in the group will know exactly how much the total is, and know that all of it was donated to the charity.  If you think that the group members wouldn't fully understand the computer transaction you or someone else could write out a check to the charity for someone to mail on the way home.

Sometimes people get suspicious about money dealings for no reason, and I think that you are wise to show your group that everything is above board.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
I think the group should decide how the donations is to be made and by whom.  That takes you out of the middle of it and no one can complain. 
You were kidding about your taxes, right?  Of course you would refrain from claiming he donation on your taxes.  No one should take the donation unless it is split correctly among those who donated based on the amount each gave. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

lowspark

Personally, this kind of transaction would make me uncomfortable. I'd be happier if after choosing which charity to donate to, we all just sent in our own donations. I do deduct charitable donations from my taxes so if I make the donation directly, I can deduct it whereas if I just throw some cash into a bowl, I cannot. I understand that you want to make it a group donation, but the money goes to the charity either way.

carol1412

This is how my Bible study group handles a yearly contribution we make to a mission center in town. They give us a list of their needs (paper towels, canned goods, etc.). We meet at Sam's Club in town to do the shopping. As we get there, we each throw our cash contribution into a paper bag. Once everyone is there, we count up the money and purchase items up to that amount. It works well because no one except you knows how much you put in the bag and you can see it's all going to the mission center supplies.

QueenfaninCA

Personally, this kind of transaction would make me uncomfortable. I'd be happier if after choosing which charity to donate to, we all just sent in our own donations. I do deduct charitable donations from my taxes so if I make the donation directly, I can deduct it whereas if I just throw some cash into a bowl, I cannot. I understand that you want to make it a group donation, but the money goes to the charity either way.

POD.

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire

You were kidding about your taxes, right?  Of course you would refrain from claiming he donation on your taxes.  No one should take the donation unless it is split correctly among those who donated based on the amount each gave.

Yes!  Definitely kidding!  Sorry...I forget sometimes I'm on the interwebz. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!

Yes!  Definitely kidding!  Sorry...I forget sometimes I'm on the interwebz.
"Whew!   :P "
I thought you  might be kidding but wasn't sure.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
I think your idea is good.
My neighborhood Bunco (dice game) group meets monthly. We discussed sponsoring families on Christmas Mother/ Angel Tree list in our county. Those who want to shop will get names off Angel tree, those who don't want to shop will give money to one member organizing things.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
I think your idea is good.
My neighborhood Bunco (dice game) group meets monthly. We discussed sponsoring families on Christmas Mother/ Angel Tree list in our county. Those who want to shop will get names off Angel tree, those who don't want to shop will give money to one member organizing things.
What a good idea!