A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Cheques / Checks!

(1/14) > >>

Ceallach:
I understand  that both are legitimate spellings depending on where you are.  ;D Anyway, a few comments in threads have got me curious about how cheques are used over in the US / other countries in general. I had to setup payroll in the US for my previous company (we were establishing operations there) and I was surprised that everything had the option of cheque - we could pay our employees via cheque, we should send cheques for setting up insurances etc.  Online banking had charges associated with it (even paying our employees by direct deposit meant they incurred a fee, which blew my mind!).  I've also heard of people over there using cheques to buy groceries, household goods etc.

Put simply:   we don't use 'em here.   Everything is via online banking or via card or cash.  Once in a blue moon somebody will need to get a cheque from the bank (drawn from their own account) in order to send it somewhere that requires cheque payment. That's an unusual occurrence and a great inconvenience as it involves an actual trip to the bank and usually a fee.

Here:
-No company I have ever worked for in NZ or Australia (going back 15 years) has ever even had the option of receiving a "paycheck".  It's all direct bank deposit, without exception.  You provide your bank account number when you're hired, and the money appears on payday, ready for spending.

-All payments come via direct bank debit or credit card, or are paid by bank transfer on my online banking (insurance, bills, etc).  There are no charges for transferring money electronically, unless it's to another country.  If I'm getting a refund from somewhere it's via direct deposit.

I heard years ago that part of the reason electronic banking is bigger here is because it's easier to use smaller countries as a "test market".  I personally notice a huge difference in between NZ and Australia even (NZ is much tinier than Aus).  Over in NZ I never, ever carried cash, whereas in Aus until recently a lot of places didn't accept eftpos for small payments (coffee, snacks etc) so I had to remember to withdraw money from the ATM once per week.  But cheques arent really used in either country. We know what they are, and they exist, but they're not part of everyday life.   One exception is the government medicare scheme in Aus - they still issue cheques sometimes, if you haven't applied for online payment for some reason (big organisation, so once again perhaps an implementation thing!)  Companies do use cheques for payment sometimes between businesses, but for personal banking it's exceedingly rare.

Anyway, curious as to whether based on your location cheques or electronic banking are the go?  And if you're from around here, is your experience different to mine and the people I know?

blue2000:
Canadian here. Cheques are becoming very rare. Most businesses don't want to take them. The ones that do seem to require a 'cheque card' - you apply for one and they check your credit and keep your ID on file. Even those are disappearing. Most stores take debit/credit cards, although they have a fee attached. Either the store pays it (larger stores) or you pay it (smaller ones). Small dollar stores will sometimes just take cash, but even that is fading out. Plastic or cash is the norm.

My employer will do a pay cheque if you want it, but you would not believe the pressure to do automatic deposit. I used to get cheques, and you would have thought I owed the mafia the way they carried on. ::)

MariaE:
Dane here. Checks are virtually unheard of here. I carry very little cash either - it's almost always debit card.

Ceallach:

--- Quote from: blue2000 on December 02, 2011, 06:00:12 AM ---Canadian here. Cheques are becoming very rare. Most businesses don't want to take them. The ones that do seem to require a 'cheque card' - you apply for one and they check your credit and keep your ID on file. Even those are disappearing. Most stores take debit/credit cards, although they have a fee attached. Either the store pays it (larger stores) or you pay it (smaller ones). Small dollar stores will sometimes just take cash, but even that is fading out. Plastic or cash is the norm.

My employer will do a pay cheque if you want it, but you would not believe the pressure to do automatic deposit. I used to get cheques, and you would have thought I owed the mafia the way they carried on. ::)

--- End quote ---

Interesting!  See here, if you even asked an employer for a cheque, there would be a definite "no" plus it would be the talk of the HR/management/payroll team for a loooong time.  It would be the strangest, most unheard of thing, and literally impossible for the company to do with their systems.   I think we're just slightly ahead in the adoption of the technology, possibly, as it's been that way for a good decade here.  To me an actual paycheck is what my Grandad used to get back in the day....

Larrabee:
UK here.

Cheques are becoming rarer and rarer.  They haven't been used for paying wages for many years, that's all automatic bank transfer.  Most shops have stopped accepting cheques as payment for goods in the last few years although a few still do.  Nobody carries their chequebook around in their handbag anymore!

10 years ago when I was working at McDonalds the only payments options were cash and cheque, I'd get maybe one cheque every 3 shifts.  Now at the McDs nearest me you can pay with cash, credit or debit card or using something to do with your mobile phone that I don't understand  :-\ 

The only times I can think of that cheques are usually used are things like insurance payouts and competition winnings.  Private individuals rarely use them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version