Author Topic: Protein recipes for breakfast?  (Read 1727 times)

Amara

Protein recipes for breakfast?
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
I have decided to put together for myself a book of recipes that I can make for breakfast in 20 minutes or less. Every cookbook I've seen focuses on carb-heavy things like muffins, waffles, etc. Sure, there are egg dishes but pretty much of the same variety.

Don't get me wrong; I love eggs and fortuntely my body does too (my doctor approves two eggs every day if I want). Most of the time, especially on weekdays, I cook two eggs, two strips of soy bacon (SMART) or two soy sausages, have a small bowl of GoLean cereal with nonfat milk, a glass of TJ's vegetable juice, a small glass of blueberry juice, and sometimes a glass of milk with soy protein powder. The idea is to have a lot of protein with some carbs so I can keep going for hours (a la the Energizer Bunny).

: )

But I am also a fan of other kinds of meals, including dinner types, for breakfast. I have gathered about four recipes, a Turkish egg dish which involves poached eggs on sage-and-chili flavored yogurt, a quick chicken soup with a chopped skinless breast, and something else I can't remember at this moment.

But four recipes does not a cookbook make. Does anyone have any ideas for protein, quick-fix breakfast items (bearing in mind that I am open to non-breakfast items)? I know about quiche and I might include one or two recipes for that, but I'd prefer to keep the emphasis on protein made that morning.

Thanks!

POF

Re: Protein recipes for breakfast?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 01:32:59 PM »
I eat similarly - here are some of my faves

I know you probably have this - but for eggs:

Omelets with leftovers from the night before... meatballs, chicken, broccoli .... whatever

Greek Omelet with feta and olives

Egg Foo Young .... diced veggies with some leftover protein ( shrimp are good ) - sauteed with some soy sauce and olive oil. Beat up an egg - pour over beggie mix in the pan.

Turkey sandwich on whole wheat ( 1 slice bread )

Cottage cheese with nuts and granola

Ricotta cheese with fruit

Steel cut oats - (  I turn these on low and then shower - almost done when I get out of the bathroom ) - with some almond or peanut butter and sunflower seeds

Breakfast sandwich with Thomas mulitgrain light muffin - egg and ham or egg and avocado

Breakfast Burrito with a whole grain burrito, scrambled eggs, beans and veggies

Hope this helps

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 01:36:50 PM »
Does peanut butter on wheat toast count as a recipe?  If you're in a hurry, it can be peanut butter on a spoon. ;D

I'd be interested too. I need protein to keep from getting jittery and I can't stand eggs.
The status is not quo!

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »

Greek lemon soup;  keep cooked rice in the freezer for speed. Cook some chicken stock with the rice, until the rice is very soft. Mix together juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon (depending on taste) and an egg. When the stock is ready, beat in the egg/lemon mixture and immediately turn off the heat. Salt to taste and garnish with parsley if you want.

Baked eggs; take a small ramekin. Layer in some of the following - cooked bacon or pepperoni or other cooked meat or meat substitute, a slice of tomato, fresh herbs, a bit of sliced onion, etc - top with one or two eggs, and a bit of cheese if you want. Slide into the oven or toaster oven until the eggs is almost done the way you like it.

Poached eggs in soup - in a small pan heat up some broth or leftover soup. When it's simmering well, crack in an egg or two, turn of the heat, cover and wait about five minutes. The egg yolk breaks into the soup and it's lovely and rich.

Poached eggs served on cooked whole grains tossed with lemon juice and chopped parsley or cilantro, drizzled with hot sauce. I use either soba (cooks quickly) or whole oats (not steel cut, takes about 20 minutes to cook, but freezes and re-heats well). Leftover rice would work well.

If you don't mind non breakfast food, you can always go with beans and legumes.  Lentil soup, curried lentils (dhal) or chickpeas, beans and rice, bean burritos, hummus with veggie sticks or pita chips.

If you like tofu, check your Asian market or good grocery store for dou hua (豆花). It's a slightly sweet tofu custard that would be a good breakfast. There are also lots of sweet red or green bean dishes.

Or take cooked leftover meat and do a stuffed pita or sandwich.

Amara

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »
Thank you! These are great ideas.

I also had some down time at work yesterday so I spent a couple of hours googling "low-carb breakfast recipes" and "high protein breakfast recipes." Got about a dozen that look particularly good. If they prove to be, I will post them here in the future.

Thanks again.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Are smoothies okay, or do you prefer "food"?  :P

One of my favorite high protien breakfasts is a scoop of protein powder, a banana, a cup of skim milk, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and some water and ice all blended together.  It's a complete meal; protein, carbs and fat. Always keeps me full til lunch!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 03:58:38 AM »
I've made this baked oatmealquite a few times. you can make it once a week and take one portion each morning. it's divine, easy to make, and healthy. i added some ground almond for extra protein (replaced some of the oats).

I have decided to put together for myself a book of recipes that I can make for breakfast in 20 minutes or less. Every cookbook I've seen focuses on carb-heavy things like muffins, waffles, etc. Sure, there are egg dishes but pretty much of the same variety.

Don't get me wrong; I love eggs and fortuntely my body does too (my doctor approves two eggs every day if I want). Most of the time, especially on weekdays, I cook two eggs, two strips of soy bacon (SMART) or two soy sausages, have a small bowl of GoLean cereal with nonfat milk, a glass of TJ's vegetable juice, a small glass of blueberry juice, and sometimes a glass of milk with soy protein powder. The idea is to have a lot of protein with some carbs so I can keep going for hours (a la the Energizer Bunny).

But I am also a fan of other kinds of meals, including dinner types, for breakfast. I have gathered about four recipes, a Turkish egg dish which involves poached eggs on sage-and-chili flavored yogurt, a quick chicken soup with a chopped skinless breast, and something else I can't remember at this moment.

But four recipes does not a cookbook make. Does anyone have any ideas for protein, quick-fix breakfast items (bearing in mind that I am open to non-breakfast items)? I know about quiche and I might include one or two recipes for that, but I'd prefer to keep the emphasis on protein made that morning.

Thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Amara

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »
TwoRavens, I do prefer food. I like smoothies very much, but find they don't keep me going as long as solid food does. They do make an excellent addition to food, however.

That oatmeal looks good, Cicero. Thank you. I might just try that though I tend to prefer the smoother Cream of Wheat to chunky oatmeal. But I would only eat this as part of a protein-laden breakfast. I tend to know how my body prefers things now.

Chip2

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »
I've always been of the opinion that breakfast isn't what you eat, it's when you eat it.

That being said, I've breakfasted on everything from a Snickers bar and a Coke to dry cereal to reheated pizza to a cheesesteak (made with leftovers from the previous night).  When I was stationed in Korea the Subway on our base opened at 0600; I frequently stopped in for a turkey sub.  Nowadays I'll grab a pre-made salad and munch on that to start the day.  And the other morning I had a leftover pork chop that was cut up and mixed in with brown rice.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 08:57:48 PM »
TwoRavens, I do prefer food. I like smoothies very much, but find they don't keep me going as long as solid food does. They do make an excellent addition to food, however.

That oatmeal looks good, Cicero. Thank you. I might just try that though I tend to prefer the smoother Cream of Wheat to chunky oatmeal. But I would only eat this as part of a protein-laden breakfast. I tend to know how my body prefers things now.

I had the same problem until I started putting a generous scoop of whey-based protein powder in my smoothies, now they keep me going for about 3 hours (and for me that's the same as solid food). My favorite smoothy is 1/2C plain greek yogurt, 1C frozen dark cherries (or mixed berries or strawberries), 1/4C milk, 1 tbsp of something sweet (I prefer coconut oil but honey works, too), a rounded scoop of protein powder and a glass full of ice. It's my favorite breakfast!!

edited to add - If you look up primal or paleo eating you'll find a lot of recipes that are high protein/low carb.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:59:54 PM by JenJay »

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 09:35:07 PM »
Quinoa! Super high protein and just sooooo good for you! Here's what I make for breakfast:

1C Quinoa
2C Water
1 Apple, chopped
Slivered Almonds
Golden Raisins
Cinnamon
Raw Honey

Heat the quinoa & water on the stove; bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Add the apple. Let simmer for about 15 minutes, until most of the water is absorbed. Add the almonds, raisins and cinnamon to taste.

This will make several servings. I usually make it in the evening and heat it up in the microwave in the morning. I add raw honey after heating it. It is delicious! Of course you can substitute other nuts and dried fruit that you have on hand if you prefer.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

doodlemor

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »
This probably sounds bizarre, but it worked for me when I was doing low carb.

I used to eat a Wasa rye cracker that had been spread with mayo, and then layered with 2 slices of Swiss cheese and a generous helping of quality deli ham. 

Amara

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »
These are all really good ideas. Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to putting this book together.

Jloreli

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »
Salsa in a bowl with cheese on top....nuke to melt cheese....top with over-easy or poached egg.

NyaChan

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »
My favorite egg breakfast is Ande Ka Khagina - it is eggs with onions and indian spices.  Here is a recipe:  http://www.khanapakana.com/recipe/c8bb57b7-f10c-474a-9ced-8808671bdc9d/hyderabadi-breakfast-ande-ka-khagina.  Super yummy!

ETA:  I usually just put my eggs in whole rather than beaten, but then I like having yolk/whites separated