Author Topic: Picking My Own Gifts  (Read 1838 times)

SuperMartianRobotGirl

Re: Picking My Own Gifts
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »
I agree with everyone else. Just don't play the game. Don't participate. Either they get you something on their own, or you don't get a gift, but if you don't like the game that'll end it.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 09:08:37 AM »
You know that saying about the irresistible force meeting the immovable object? Well, I'm here to tell you, the immovable object wins every. single. time. Just don't go running around picking out gifts. Give  a list and when they pester, say 'sorry, I can't, I'm busy. Either buy off the list or don't. I take cash too.'

Pod. If it comes down to it, stop taking calls. You don't have to answer the phone when you are busy. Call them back at your convenience and keep repeating this speech.

My family asks me for a list every year, but I don't get everything on the list and I always get a few surprises. It's nice. My parents want to make sure that my "big" present is something I want/need, and other relatives use it if they are stumped about what to get me (because I don't usually need stuff; my list this year is insanely practical except for a few specific home decor pieces).
The status is not quo!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 09:16:48 AM »
For years my DH and I have kept "wish folders." We will print out an image of what we want from Amazon or from newspaper ads, etc. and put them in our  respective folders. We do this year-round and occasionally will take a few minutes to "prioritize" the things we would like to have. When a gift-giving occasion comes up, we don't have to ask each other what we want; we just go to each others' folders. It's still a surprise because we don't know which gift(s) the other picked to give, and we still get things that we know we'll like.

That's not to say that we never buy each other things that aren't in the folder, but if we are stuck and can't think of anything we have that as a resource. 

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »
And the items in your folder can also serve as inspiration for some fantastic thing you didn't know exist. I love this sort of more generic list ("warm socks", "grey sweater", "nice purse") with a few more specific things ("latest Jasper Fford book", "Cecilia Bartoli CD").