Author Topic: Got A Use for This in Choir!  (Read 2291 times)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
Got A Use for This in Choir!
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
[BG]So my school, herefore dubbed "Awesome University", is getting ready to have their annual Christmas services on Friday (it's a religious school). I'm in the choir that sings for those. However, the director (just a guest, RegularConductor is coming back next semester!  ;D) has been calling rehearsals on one day a week to go 30 minutes longer than they should, which is the exact time that I have a voice lesson in another building.[/BG]

I got my stuff together, and the exchange went something like this:
Director: Do you really have to leave?
Me: (thinking) Yes, I do. This is a graded class; I will get into trouble. (speaking). Yes, my teacher's expecting me.
Director: Can't she excuse you? Doesn't she know you have a class?
Me: This class is only scheduled till 5:30, which is what she based her schedule off of. I'm sorry; I have to go. (Thinking) Dude, I know it's crunch time, but you're not my only commitment.

I am so glad I can politely tell people no without guilt. And frankly, I'm not singing much for choir anyway because I still have bronchitis.  :(

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Portugal79

Re: Got A Use for This in Choir!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:07:11 PM »
nicely done, authoritative and still polite. and good luck with your concert x