A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

High Tea - S/O from Not one of her Bridesmaids

(1/3) > >>

mechtilde:
The Not one of her Bridesmaids thread has led to an interesting discussion- what is High Tea?

My Grandparents kept the tradition of having both afternoon tea and high tea. Afternoon tea was effectively a very elegant snack- a cup of tea with a slice or two of cake, possibly a small sandwich. High tea was a much larger affair with sandwiches, bread and jam, cold meats, pork or veal pies, cakes, trifle etc. served with a lot of tea. It was a meal.

Afternoon tea was served at about 4pm, High Tea was served at about 5.30pm

So- what are other people's experiences?

123Sandy:
A hotel in the town used to serve High Tea years ago. You got something like fish and chips, cold meat or salmon and salad, gammon steak etc and a tiered plate with bread and butter and a few small cakes. Tea or coffee. Between 4:30 and 6:30.

Haven't seen anywhere serve high tea in years.   

camlan:
I've never experienced high tea here in the US. From reading lots of English novels, it seems to consist of fish and chips and mushy peas. But again, that's from reading novels.

Now, there are places in the US that offer what they call "high tea" but which is actually a formal afternoon tea. Generally with not enough cake and a pretty steep price. Hotels and small restaurants are the worst offenders.

mechtilde:

--- Quote from: camlan on December 05, 2011, 09:24:16 AM ---From reading lots of English novels, it seems to consist of fish and chips and mushy peas. But again, that's from reading novels.

--- End quote ---

I think there is a difference between tea and high tea. Now I'm right up in the North of England, not that far away from the Scottish Border. Whilst High Tea does mean bread, jam, sandwiches, cakes etc as described in my first post, tea also means an evening meal (Breakfast, Dinner and Tea) although in other areas, tea just means high tea (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner)

Thipu1:
In my experience, there are teas and there are teas.

When the main meal is served in the middle of the day, the evening meal can be called 'tea' or 'meat tea'.  This can be a fairly substantial meal with leftovers, cold cuts and, perhaps, a simple cake.

High tea, or sometimes 'cream tea' is the fussy little meal with finger sandwiches, pastries and the Palm Court music playing in the background.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version