Author Topic: Restaurant Types, Portion Size, and Menu Variety  (Read 7088 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Restaurant Types, Portion Size, and Menu Variety
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 06:28:23 AM »
I believe pasties are of Cornish origin.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »
Pasties are Cornish origin and, apologies to any Cornishmen out there, I don't like them because they have too much dough.  Of course, the pastie was intended to be a self-contained lunch for a miner.  It had to be sturdy to survive in the mine.

As we have them here, Australian pies are slightly oval.  The crust is not as crisp as most American pot pies and quite tender.  when you order mince and cheese, you get mince and cheese.  There are no vegetables apart from a bit of onion for flavor. 

Dang it!  Now I want a DUB pie. 

ClaireC79

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
original Cornish pasties you weren't meant to eat the crust - that was your 'handle' as the miners hands would be filthy and no way of washing them

CakeBeret

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
I live in the suburb of a big city. I rarely go into the big city to eat--a couple times a year at the most--because it's a huge hassle.

Here in the suburb, we have:
Probably a dozen americanized chinese restaurants/buffets/takeaways
Probably a dozen somewhat-authentic mexican restaurants
A couple non-authentic chain mexican restaurants
Only one authentic pizzeria (vastly overpriced and not very good)
A few chain steakhouses, but no local/non-chain ones
Two chain BBQ joints
One Indian restaurant
Two Japanese/sushi restaurants
A few chain 'american'/homestyle restaurants
The usual Olive Garden, Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, Red Robin, etc
Sadly, NO thai food. :(

As you can tell, unless you want ethnic food, almost all your options are chain restaurants. Which are not necessarily bad options, but it would be nice to have other options. The first time I ever had thai food was last year on vacation, because we just don't have any thai places within 45 minutes of home. We usually eat Mexican, steak, or sushi.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

jmarvellous

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 05:40:56 PM »
My city has pretty much everything mentioned here these days with the exception of whatever a "carvery" is (and if I knew what that was, we probably have one -- something to do with carved meat, I presume?) and Finnish food, and I don't think our one Russian place is still running.
Our only Aussie places are of the pie variety, and I can't say I've enjoyed my limited experiences.

That said, within easy walking distance of my house I have:

Wine bar with light fare (salads, sandwiches and wonderful small plates)
Four coffee shops with food brought in (pizza and pastry) or made there (salad or sandwich or breakfast food)
Chains (Arby's, Sonic, McDonald's, Long John Silver's/A&W, Papa John's, Subway)
Thai
Dirt-cheap Mexican food (two)
Two greasy-spoon diners (with plenty of peppery things to satisfy Texan palates)
Local burger joints I've never tried (two)
Ice cream parlor with a burger stand
Sushi place
Fancy diner
Italian place (new!)
New-American "pub"
Mediterranean/hookah w/BYOB service
Middle Eastern counter service + grocery
Great traditional bakery with some hot meals
Mid-end Mexican (two)
Fancy Mexican/Latin American
Chicken and waffles place

And that's really just a couple of blocks on the edges of my residential neighborhood. We're food-crazy 'round here. If I included driving even a short distance I couldn't list them.

DuBois

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »

I'm in a largish town in the UK. We don't have as much variety as I think we could, London has amazing variety and I miss living there sometimes. Here, we have mainly Italian, Indian and Chinese. Precious little Mexican, which is a pity cos I love Mexican food.

Bluenomi

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »
I'm in Canberra, Australia.

We have a pretty good variety considering our size, it's thanks to all us public servants on decent incomes  ;D I started listing things but it got too long too quickly! We can get pretty much any kind of Asian/South Pacific style of food you can imagine, the standard European cusines, most food chains.

No pie floaters around here though, you need to go to Adelaide or visit Harry's Cafe de Wheels in Sydney for those  ;D

Aussie pies are nothing like pasties. They are just like most pies I bought in the UK but require much more tomato sause, none of that brown sauce rubbish  ;)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
original Cornish pasties you weren't meant to eat the crust - that was your 'handle' as the miners hands would be filthy and no way of washing them

Hmm, you learn something every day!

I've never found "modern" pasties to have terribly tough crusts, but are they still not supposed to be eaten?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »

Interesting to know and it explains a lot.  There's a place in Madison WI that sells Cornish Pasties under the name of 'Teddy Wedges'.  The fillings were good but you almost needed a blasting cap to get into the thing. 

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 12:37:09 PM »
Chiming in from Charlotte, North Carolina

We have almost everything from Chinese to Thai with good ole Southern Soul Food (Fried Chicken, potato salad, collard greens and the works!) with a mix of Northern Diners (they have the best food and a couple of them are 24 hours!)  We also have BBQ places (which around here is a noun, not a verb) that covers Eastern North Carolina Style (whole hog with the sauce being vinegar based) to Lexington Style (mostly shoulders and Boston B*tt with a mustard based sauce) with nearby Rock Hill, SC which also serves BBQ (again, mustard based, but with a little more kick to it).  We don't have a Russian restaurant but I would love to try one just to see what it was like. We have had several restaurants mentioned on the Food Network (Prices Chicken Coop and that drive-in on the west side, whose name escapes me at the moment!). 

Talking about food is making me hungry and it's lunchtime! ;)
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou

katycoo

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »

My sister is an Aussie living in the States.
The Outback is not Australian.

Amusingly, they've expanded The Outback Steakhouse chain to Australia.  Its so American its not funny.  Even the cheese is orange!  Tasty though.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:47 PM »
This makes me hungry for a Blooming Onion.

lowspark

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »
I live in Houston and we have a very culturally diverse population so there are many different kinds of restaurants.

Based on a local restaurant guide, the largest number, 1033, are Mexican. And that sounds about right. TexMex anyway. Of course that includes fast food chains as well.

Lots of Barbecue, Steakhouses, Burger spots and Seafood. Of course, tons of Pizza places. And lots of Delis & Sandwich Shops.

We also have tons of Asian food, with Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese and Indian being the most common.

Italian, French, and Greek are well represented, along with the Middle East.

Portions are generally huge. I've been known to make three meals out of my leftovers of one particular dish from my favorite TexMex. I almost never eat out without taking home at least part of my meal. Very upscale restaurants generally have smaller portions.

LOL about Outback Steakhouse. I think it's generally known that it's nothing more than a steakhouse and that the Australian slant is nothing more than a gimmick. My ILs love that place and the only time I ever go is when I'm with them.