Author Topic: Is my gift to my brother's and sister's family okay?  (Read 1324 times)

Miss Bee

Is my gift to my brother's and sister's family okay?
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:55:55 PM »
Hi, everyone,

I have a question/concern about Christmas gifts for my nieces and nephews...

In past years, in addition to getting each niece and nephew a book (that I sent thru Barnes and Noble, which does a terrible job of "wrapping" and charges a lot for it), I also sent a movie theater gift card to brother's and sister's family, enough for the entire family to see a movie, have popcorn, candy, soda etc.  Everyone loved it, told me how great it was, kids loved it, etc.  (Both brother and sister do not take their kids to the movies all the time, like I do, so this is more of a "treat" for them.  sis has 3 kids, brother has two, so that may be a factor why.. )

This year, I'd like to only send the movie theater gift cards, as everyone seemed to really enjoy those the most.  (The main reason is it's expensive getting the movie tickets AND individual gifts..) 
So, I would send one card to sister's family, and one card to brother's.  Everyone would get to go to the movies. 

Is this appropriate, sending a "family" gift, considering I've given the kids individual gifts in years past? 

Thanks for your input! 

P.S. I have one daughter - my sister and brother usually send her a gift - usually a couple of gift cards from each.  I, then, take her shopping up here to use them. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Is my gift to my brother's and sister's family okay?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 11:10:13 PM »
The movie 'family date night' sounds like a perfect gift.

Before you make the switch though, is it possible to discuss this with your brother and sister?  Their kids are probably anticipating getting a book from you this year as usual and they may wonder if you're unhappy with them for some reason or if something else is wrong. 

Maybe you should (if you financially can) follow the ritual you have in the past, but bring it up right after Christmas so that everyone is on the same page next year and they'll have time to explain to their kids that from now on you'll be sending a gift to the family, but not each person individually.  They'll be fine if they've had time to get prepared in advance.

Is that a possibility? or is it important that the change be made this year?   Either way, I think a discussion in advance is the way to go.  Most people are okay with altering traditions a little but don't like having the changes sprung on them unexpectedly.

Miss Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »
Actually, I have already talked with both my brother and sister about it.  They said it's fine.  I'm just concerned about the younger ones being disappointed about not getting an individual gift. 

Just after I posted this, it occurred to me that maybe I could get the kids a little something extra, like 10 dollar B&N gift cards for the little ones, and iTunes cards for 10 dollars each for the older ones.  Maybe send them in a Christmas card... 

So they all still get something individual of their own? 

In years past, I was getting 35.00 hardcover books, etc. on top of the movie cards, and it was all adding up... Doing the gift cards would be much more affordable! 

Lindee

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 11:25:12 PM »
I think the movie gift card  for all of them sounds just fine and by the time you factor in the expensive snacks it seems quite generous.  I'm sure the children they will have plenty of gifts to open.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 05:58:26 AM »
the $10 gc foe a bookstore seems like a nice compromise.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 07:31:45 AM »
I think you're fine.

Circumstances change - when I was younger, single and making quite a nice living, I used to spoil my nephews and nieces. Now I have lots more nephews and nieces, am a SAHM, and have three children of my own - plus the King's family to buy for. So not so much spoiling any more  ;)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »
I think the movie gift card  for all of them sounds just fine and by the time you factor in the expensive snacks it seems quite generous.  I'm sure the children they will have plenty of gifts to open.

I agree.  Sounds like a great gift to me and I wouldn't stress about it, especially since the parents have said they're happy with it.  It's already plenty generous without having to add anything else.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »
You could also get much cheaper books and send them via USPS.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:06:57 PM »
How about taking the money for the one gift card and splitting it into a gift card for each family member?  Like if you were going to spend $50, simply buy five $10 cards.  Kids love getting gift cards for their own.

Kaypeep

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »
Perhaps get them Amazon.com gift cards. They can buy music, or books. And on Amazon, they can buy used books so the GC could go even farther.