Author Topic: Rude of them to attempt this?  (Read 11711 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Rude of them to attempt this?
« on: December 08, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/06/BA1D1M99V5.DTL

Here is one of the links:

Mythbusters, a popular tv show that dispels myths/urban legends, had an experiment go awry on them and it caused some damage and outrage in a neighborhood.  One homeowner wants to sue.

Several comments under the article I saw this morning were really ripping into Mythbusters saying they were entitled and rude to do this and that this shouldn't have been attempted etc. 

I am not saying they were innocent, and in fact they said they have used this very site numerous occasions without mishaps.  They are repairing the damage caused and issued apologies.

I don't think they were rude and careless, what do you all think?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Rude of them to attempt this?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »
I don't think so.

They were on a bomb range.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »
I don't think so.

Exactly.  They attempted it at a site that is built for just this sort of thing.  It was no more rude for Mythbusters to attempt this experiment than it is for the bomb range to exist.  Unfortunately, accidents happen.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
I don't think so.

Exactly.  They attempted it at a site that is built for just this sort of thing.  It was no more rude for Mythbusters to attempt this experiment than it is for the bomb range to exist.  Unfortunately, accidents happen.

Then maybe there is an issue about whether the bomb range is fit for purpose. This sort of thing is just not supposed to happen.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:41:02 PM by mechtilde »
NE England

O'Dell

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »
It was a bomb range not a cannon range. So I can see how some would think it inappropriate use of the facility and conclude they got away with it because of who they are.

I think it was an unfortunate accident as they seem concerned with being careful and safe about everyone involved.

From the article: Hosts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman use science experiments to confirm or debunk rumors or myths. Reached Tuesday evening, Savage said, "I can't talk right now," before hanging up.

That is soooo Adam. :D
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:39:03 PM »
Blowing up a bomb and firing off a cannon are two different things.  Obviously they miscalculated how far the cannonball would go.  This surprises me because usually these guys are so careful.  This could have easily killed someone! 

I don't know if rude is the word I would use for it, though.  Rude doesn't describe it.

Ruelz

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
Pure accident.
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

Larrabee

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 02:45:19 PM »
I'm of the opinion that you don't fire a cannon in a populated area unless you have a darn good reason.

The bomb range exists so that qualified, trained or in training people can practice disposing of explosives, for the public good, so is completely different.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
It's an accident, pure and simple. They were using what they thought was a safe venue to conduct tests. It turns out, the range wasn't as suited to handle those tests as they thought. It's horribly scary, and I don't blame people for being upset, but it was still an accident.

There's no etiquette rule that says "if you must miscalibrate your homemade cannon, those people living two miles downrange must know about it beforehand." It might be a safety rule, but it isn't an issue of rudeness. Etiquette doesn't cover how accidents ought to happen, just how people respond to them. In that case, I think the Mythbusters are doing pretty well. They issued a sincere, thoughtful apology, in person. That's a pretty good start in my book.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »
I love Mythbusters. My husband and I watch it every week.

I don't know how Mythbusters is entitled. If anyone should take the heat for it, it's the people in charge of the bomb range who allowed it to happen. In every episode, they always  bring in highly trained, highly qualified professionals to make sure that everything is as safe as possible.

Obviously, in this case, someone miscalculated. If the bomb range wasn't appropriate for this kind of thing, then I think it was up to the bomb dudes to say so.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »

I don't know how Mythbusters is entitled. If anyone should take the heat for it, it's the people in charge of the bomb range who allowed it to happen. In every episode, they always  bring in highly trained, highly qualified professionals to make sure that everything is as safe as possible.

Obviously, in this case, someone miscalculated. If the bomb range wasn't appropriate for this kind of thing, then I think it was up to the bomb dudes to say so.

Exactly.  It was on the Alameda Country Sheriff's Department bomb range - so they had permission and approval from them beforehand.

iradney

• DoSWMBO
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »

jmithing read my mind. Parking my POD right here.
“It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.”
-Thomas Huxley

magicdomino

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but can you imagine calling your homeowners insurance company, and telling them that a cannonball went through your house? 

Ruelz

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 03:25:33 PM »
I can see them checking back to the files of 1812...looking for precident on the insurance claims...
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 03:38:12 PM »
I can see them checking back to the files of 1812...looking for precident on the insurance claims...

Has the show's insurance company made any overtures to the homeowners yet?
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.