Author Topic: The Angry Birds dress  (Read 9256 times)

DCGirl

The Angry Birds dress
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »
The wife of the CMO of Rovio, the company responsible for the Angry Birds game, wore a dress with an angry bird on it to a state dinner celebrating Finland's independence day.  See here for the picture:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/12/wife-of-rovio-executive-dons-formal-angry-birds-gown-at-fancy-finnish-ball.html

As the L.A. Times writer says:

Awesome? Insane? Glamorous? Ridiculous?

You decide.

I guess we should be grateful she didn't go for a dress featuring the green pig, huh? 

But, seriously, would you consider this an etiquette breach? 

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
Re: The Angry Birds dress
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »
If this is rude then so is Lady Gaga.  I don't view it as an etiquette breach but a matter of taste and style. I actually see it as kind of a nod to her husband and not so hideous as described.  She wore a formal gown to a formal event. The design on it isn't to my taste but hey, I also don't like flowers on formal gowns so it's really a matter of personal style. Actually, I much rather prefer that dress to some of the other more questionable attire I see on red carpets.

Ruelz

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
I wouldn't wear it, I'm too conservative in my clothing tastes, but I like Angry Birds (something to do with all the abuse I take from my parrots I think) and I don't mind the dress.  All told, it's actually relatively elegant.  If I didn't know it was Angry Birds based, I wouldn't have thought more about it...
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »
The design is a bit "hidden" and I wouldn't notice it was Angry Birds if it wasn't pointed out.  I think the dress is elegant with a bit of humor and would love it if she wore it to my formal party, but I'm not anybody important and don't live in a palace.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 03:32:37 PM »
The dress could have been okay, but the placement of the eye is questionable, which is probably at least partially responsible for the criticism.  That aside, it's actually kind of pretty.  :)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 03:35:24 PM »
She was dressed appropriately for the occasion, formal dress for formal affair, that's all that etiquette asks.  Fashion is another thing altogether.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »
I have no idea if it's polite, but it's a pretty dress and it's funny:D And I agree that it's subtle enough to just look like a regular dress if you're not looking for the bird.

The dress could have been okay, but the placement of the eye is questionable, which is probably at least partially responsible for the criticism.  That aside, it's actually kind of pretty.  :)

That is a good point. I once bought myself a beautiful t-shirt with a tiger face on it--and after the first time I wore it, relegated it to sleep-shirt status. Because I realized the tiger's eyes were...strategic.  :-[ :D I don't think it's rude, but it does draw the eye.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
I have no idea if it's polite, but it's a pretty dress and it's funny:D And I agree that it's subtle enough to just look like a regular dress if you're not looking for the bird.

That is a good point. I once bought myself a beautiful t-shirt with a tiger face on it--and after the first time I wore it, relegated it to sleep-shirt status. Because I realized the tiger's eyes were...strategic.  :-[ :D I don't think it's rude, but it does draw the eye.

A bug-eyed tiger?

I don't think there is anything wrong with her dress, it's long and elegant.  Unless it's pr0nographic, I don't see that the colour/fabric pattern of a dress falls into etiquette territory.

magicdomino

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
I like it, so I'm going with awesome.  It is amusing and creative without being silly.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 04:03:37 PM »
I like it, so I'm going with awesome.  It is amusing and creative without being silly.

I'm parkin' my POD with this one.  I don't think it's rude at all. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »
The wife of the CMO of Rovio, the company responsible for the Angry Birds game, wore a dress with an angry bird on it to a state dinner celebrating Finland's independence day.  See here for the picture:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/12/wife-of-rovio-executive-dons-formal-angry-birds-gown-at-fancy-finnish-ball.html

As the L.A. Times writer says:

Awesome? Insane? Glamorous? Ridiculous?

You decide.

I guess we should be grateful she didn't go for a dress featuring the green pig, huh? 

But, seriously, would you consider this an etiquette breach?

I don't think it's an etiquette breach. She is appropriately covered in a manner similar to other women (even if the design on her dress is a bit unusual.) I think it's awesome.

Bethczar

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »

Yup, I thought it was pretty cool.

Nora

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »

Yup, I thought it was pretty cool.

Extremely cool! I'd wear that in a heartbeat.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »
I don't think it's very flattering, but it's pretty subtle. And she's not some random woman. Her husband helped create the game. I would say appropriate. :)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
I was picturing something so much worse...I was pleasantly surprised.  For some reason I was picturing something very red, very short and involving a lot of feathers. 

It floor length, a nice off the shoulder cut, everything is covered and her hair is done nicely and understated. I say it is positively modest compared to what it could have been.

Though, the pig green might have suited her colouring better  ;).  kidding, kidding
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah