Author Topic: The Angry Birds dress  (Read 8732 times)

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Re: The Angry Birds dress
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 08:04:01 PM »
I dont really have an issue with it, and actually think it's clever, though I do think the placement of the eye is a bit tacky (though I do recognize it's probably the best place, fashion-wise).

that said, it's a "fun" dress, and if it's a solemn occasion, then it's not appropriate. But my lack of knowledge of finnish culture keeps me from stating that with certaintly, kwim?

I think it's far more restrained than some of the things one would see here in the US at an occasion of similar solemnity.

Agreed, but that also doesnt make them appropriate, or this one appropriate by comparison.
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

CakeEater

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 04:48:36 AM »
Am I the only one who immediately thought she was somewhat...er... exposed?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 04:10:15 PM »
Nope.  :P

immadz

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »

Exposed because it was off the shoulder?

Cosmasia

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 06:41:49 PM »

Huh? The only skin she's showing is her arms, one shoulder and, well, her face. How is that exposed?
Da hun kom tilbage, havde hun hundrede ting at fortælle.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »

Huh? The only skin she's showing is her arms, one shoulder and, well, her face. How is that exposed?

The white background on the bird's face can make someone do a double take about whether the dress has an amazon-esque design.
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

immadz

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »

The white background on the bird's face can make someone do a double take about whether the dress has an amazon-esque design.

To each his/her own. To me, it is very obviously not skin, it is so white.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 06:57:18 PM »

To each his/her own. To me, it is very obviously not skin, it is so white.

I agree, but then I find this dress clever and slightly whimsical, and since there are so many possible interpretations for what the event does/should mean and who is/is not invited and why, that the dress seemed perfectly acceptable to me. 
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
That's not a bird dress. THIS is a bird dress!

My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 01:01:47 PM »
Parking my POD with lollylegs and Lady Disdain.

I think it's tacky to self-promote like this at a state dinner. Yes, the design of the angry bird is subtle, but a state dinner in celebration of a solemn event is not the place to wear it.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »
Parking my POD with lollylegs and Lady Disdain.

I think it's tacky to self-promote like this at a state dinner. Yes, the design of the angry bird is subtle, but a state dinner in celebration of a solemn event is not the place to wear it.

That's how I feel as well.

Ereine

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2011, 12:22:13 AM »
Last year the two most scandalous dresses had pictures of people on them: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/linnanjuhlat/linnan-allistyttavimmat-puvut/art-1288354280050.html . One woman had a photo of her daughter, she also broke etiquette by giving the president a message from the daughter (apparently the daughter wanted to attend too). The other had a picture of the woman's father, who wasn't asked about it and got angry at his daughter. Also she had given him a medal he hadn't earned (it's customary to wear whatever medals you have, even non-military people can have them for things like long career as a civil servant, my mother and stepmother both have those and there are strict rules about how you're supposed to wear them, of course).

One special thing about the dress code is that folk dress is accepted and even encouraged, which leads to outfits like this (based on an ancient dress), this (Sami, the only indigenous people in Europe) and [img=http://eva02.statkal.fi/plus/img/mega/20101206/mega_101206linnanjuhlat_9997563.jpg]http://this[/img] (traditional dress of Romany here) being very appropriate.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 05:05:41 AM »
Aside from my first thought being how did I not already know about this dress? I see nothing wrong with the dress given her husband's position.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 09:08:38 PM »
Honestly, if I had not been told "This is an 'Angry Birds' dress," I'm not sure I would have figured that out on my own. I would have just thought it was some sort of odd geometric design.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »
The dress isn't nearly as bad as I was imagining.  I think it's a very pretty dress, and a lot of fun.  That said, I think it would have been perfectly appropriate for any number of formal parties, but not really for a state dinner at a palace. One on a remembrance day especially. It wasn't rude to wear -- she's covered in the significant places and of the proper level of formality -- but I just don't think it's quite appropriate for the circumstances.