Author Topic: Going on a date when you're pretty sure there won't be chemistry  (Read 5185 times)

CrayonOutlines

Re: Going on a date when you're pretty sure there won't be chemistry
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 11:23:27 AM »
Sooooo how did it go?

We managed a decent/friendly conversation, but the date ended with an awkward hug and we haven't contacted each other since.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »
Well, at least you went. Maybe the next one will be much better!  ;)

grannyclampettjr

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »
I would have canceled.

As far as paying though, I'm an old fashioned girl and I believe the person who does the asking pays.  Since I never ask men on dates, well, you do the math.   And no, it's not selfish of me to have my meal paid for and then not indulge in Scrabble.   What he is paying for is my *time* while I determine whether or not I want to go any farther with the man in question.  To imply that he's paying for carn*l favors is a vulgar idea that needs to go away.   If the date morphs into a relationship then I start going dutch.    First date, though, I assume he's trying to get to home plate with as little effort and money as possible. 

Most men don't get a second date with me.  I'm looking for social niceties--all of them.  He needs to come to the door rather than call me from his cel or honk.  He needs to open the car door for me.  He needs to tell me I look nice.   He needs to be nice to the wait staff.  He needs to be capable of carrying on a light adult conversation, not peppered with how much money he makes, his former conquests or bitterness about his exes.  You get the picture.  Some people will think I'm too harsh, but why on earth would I continue a relationship with someone who is not going to make an effort to be impeccable on the first date?