News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 18, 2018, 05:54:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quick help needed: Use a coupon to buy a grab bag gift?  (Read 2835 times)

cattlekid

Quick help needed: Use a coupon to buy a grab bag gift?
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:16:49 AM »
Hello all!

I am shopping today for a grab bag gift item for a party for next week.  I am shopping today because I have a 50% off coupon that I want to use to buy the gift.  The limit is $10.  Do I:

A) Spend $10, use the coupon and get the item for $5?
B) Spend $20, use the coupon and get a bigger item for $10?

FWIW, this is a group of knitters and I'm going to Joann's so everyone in the group pretty much knows the prices for the items in the store.

Thanks!

felix

Re: Quick help needed: Use a coupon to buy a grab bag gift?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:32:25 AM »
I always spend the full amount.  I am a sale/coupon shopper and can get fantastic deals.  Usually the lucky recipients get double the amount of stuff.  If your friends are also shoppers at JoAnn's I assume they know about the coupons.

Enkidu

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 08:33:49 AM »
Ah, the debate on whether the limit refers to the value of the gift or the cost of the gift. I know it well.

Since you say everyone will be very aware of the cost, I would split the difference and pick up a $15 item and use the coupon to spend $7.50. That way, the recipient gets a slightly nicer gift, you spend slightly less, and it's not blatantly obvious to everyone else.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:11:28 PM by Enkidu »

cattlekid

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »
Thanks everyone!   ;D

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 11:38:28 AM »
Since you say everyone will be very aware of the cost, I would split the difference and pick up a $15 item and use the coupon to spend $7.50. That way, the recipient gets a slightly nicer gift, you spend slightly less, and it's not blatantly obvious to everyone else.

This is what I'd do, too.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

CakeBeret

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 12:40:48 PM »
I have a slightly different opinion. In my experience, JoAnn's is *always* sending out coupons. Mailers, flyers at the store, flyers in the newspaper. I get at least three 40% off coupons per week. As this is a knitting group and everyone is familiar with JoAnn's, everyone is likely to be using a coupon. So I would use your coupon with the intent to spend $10, and I would guess that others will as well.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 01:50:31 PM »
I would think the point is to exchange $10 ITEMS so that everyone gets an equivalently valued item?  In that case it doesn't matter how much YOU spend, just as long as it's a $10 item.

shhh its me

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 02:08:32 PM »
   Because it's Joann's and the entire rest of the group are regulars , then I say spend $10 after the coupon. I'd also say the same thing for Joann's and 20% off ,I don't think I've seen anything there that wasn't 20% off.  I think the point is if the sale and or coupon  is so frequent and everyone knows it then it's no longer a sale it's the regular price.    If an item is sold for $70 364.75 days a year and you buy it during a 6 hour black Friday for $35  it's a $70 item , if it's marked $70 all year but is never sold for more then $35 then it's a $35 item.

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »
I would think the point is to exchange $10 ITEMS so that everyone gets an equivalently valued item?  In that case it doesn't matter how much YOU spend, just as long as it's a $10 item.

That's how I've always interpreted the limits as well.  I figure it's way more awkward if someone receives a $10 and someone else receives a $50 item the giver got on sale, than if everyone receives $10 items (regardless of coupons, sales, etc).  The goal to me should be that everyone gets similar valued item.  Keeps away any jealousy, hard feelings, etc.

lowspark

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »
Every gift exchange like this that I've ever participated in, the limit was a spending limit not a value limit.

I always look for a good deal on something and spend the amount of the limit ($10) on the most I can possibly get for that amount, value-wise.
Houston 
Texas 
USA