Author Topic: Aebleskivers!!!  (Read 1256 times)

Aeris

• Super Hero!
Aebleskivers!!!
« on: December 12, 2011, 05:22:48 AM »
Does anyone else make these? My nutty adorable mother saw an ebelskiver pan, and for some reason decided that she absolutely must have it. (This happens on a regular basis with some weird baking/cooking thing, and I inherited from her.) So over Thanksgiving I experimented with it and the recipe book she got, and WOW these things are point blank awesome!

They are spherical (filled) danish pancakes made in half-sphere wells. You brush them with butter, put in some batter, then put in a dollop of filling, then another spoonful of pancake batter. When they start to bubble, you use sticks to flip the whole thing over in its well, letting the gooey not-yet-cooked batter squish into the well, making them sort of spherical. They look adorable, and taste awesome. And they are fun!!

I've tried so far a feta and sage leaf* one and a nutella filled one. More experimentation to come!

The book I'm using (which I totally recommend):  http://www.amazon.com/Ebelskivers-Danish-Style-Filled-Pancakes-Savory/dp/1616280670/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323685265&sr=1-1

*It's SO cool - you put the sage leaf in the well face down in the butter and kind of press it in, then put the batter on top of it - the sage leaf is cooked into the top of the pancake and looks gorgeous when you're done.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:19:58 AM by Aeris »

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: Ebelskivers!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 06:03:42 AM »
They're yuuuummy! We have them all the time during the month of December.

Although, if you want the correct Danish spelling it's ∆bleskiver (or aebleskiver) ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 06:16:16 AM »
me want. now. nutella filled, please ;D

so are these baked or cooked on a stove top? basically it's a filled pancake of sorts?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Melle

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »
Oooh those look like Poffertjes, they are served each year at my favorite renaissance fair. I love them  :o

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »
my Mother has made these for years. She uses a chop stick for turning them which always makes me laugh. We eat them with powdered sugar and various types of jams and jellies.

A Danish friend introduced her to them and she used to get her supplies in Solvang, a Danish tourist town, in California.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
I love these!  Try breakfast Ebelskivers with bacon or sausage and cheese.  Or fill with apple pie filling and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 06:19:32 AM »
They're yuuuummy! We have them all the time during the month of December.

Although, if you want the correct Danish spelling it's ∆bleskiver (or aebleskiver) ;)

MariaE, thank you for the correct spelling!

I just tried a new version with lingonberry preserves, sprinkled with powdered sugar - awesome!

Getting a bit more skilled with heat/speed and how to turn the suckers with practice. Really loving these as a relatively simple baking treat (though they really do need to be eaten right away). Fun way to do a slightly more complicated than normal weekend breakfast. :D

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 06:23:25 AM »
me want. now. nutella filled, please ;D

so are these baked or cooked on a stove top? basically it's a filled pancake of sorts?

So sorry I didn't respond to this before. It's a stove top pan - heat and batter concepts similar to regular american pancakes, but the physical arrangement is different. (And my recipe calls for whipping up the separated egg whites, which I've never done for normal pancakes.)

Too high a heat and the bottom burns before you can get through the steps, but too low a heat and they get a bit heavy and dull by the time they are properly cooked. So it's a practice makes perfect thing.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Aebleskivers!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »
I ran across one of these pans this December and had to have it.  I still haven't had time to use it though.  Glad to hear yours are turning out well.