Author Topic: BBQ/Potluck Recipe Ideas  (Read 2849 times)

WildChild@Heart

• Someday my trees will be this big too!
BBQ/Potluck Recipe Ideas
« on: July 28, 2007, 10:08:50 PM »
OK, I'm looking for suggestion please. At the end of August we are invited to an annual BBQ/Potluck that our friend hosts. It is a 3 hour drive form here. He provides hmburgers, hot dogs, grilled hot links and chicken along with drinks. There rest of us bring the other dishes. Appetizers, side dishes and desserts. After 6 years I'm struggling this year with an idea for something to bring.

Help......
“Don't outsmart your common sense."

gjcva1

Re: BBQ/Potluck Recipe Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 10:21:28 PM »
OK, I'm looking for suggestion please. At the end of August we are invited to an annual BBQ/Potluck that our friend hosts. It is a 3 hour drive form here. He provides hmburgers, hot dogs, grilled hot links and chicken along with drinks. There rest of us bring the other dishes. Appetizers, side dishes and desserts. After 6 years I'm struggling this year with an idea for something to bring.

Help......

WildChild, if you can wait until later this week, i've got a really good side dish, a salad using Rice-a-Roni.  it doesn't contain any mayo, so stays pretty fresh, and if you add cooked chicken, it's a good main dish salad.

WildChild@Heart

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 12:20:46 AM »
I can wait, I have til next month.

BittyB

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 12:58:36 AM »
What kind of stuff have you brought before?  Since you aren't immediately opting for a repeat, I'm guessing you'd like something "different" so that'll help to know what kind of things you normally bring, and then what specific things you've already done.

Summrs

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 02:27:27 AM »
Here's a coleslaw recipe that doesn't use mayo.  You can set it on a pack of blue ice for the trip, but it won't spoil out of refrigeration.  This will serve about 10.

1 head of cabbage
  1 1/2 ts salt
  1 large sweet red pepper, sliced into 2” strips
  2 ts lime zest, from one or two limes
  4 tb fresh lime juice
  2 tb rice wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
  1/2 ts cayenne pepper
  2 ts ground cumin
  2 tb honey
  2 tb extra virgin olive oil

Core and thinly slice cabbage.  Salt with 1 1/2 ts of salt and set aside in a colander over a bowl for an hour to drain.  Rinse salt off and pat cabbage dry.  Put the shredded cabbage into a bowl.  Add sweet pepper. Stir together lime zest and juice, vinegar, cayenne, cumin, honey and oil in medium bowl.  Toss cabbage and peppers in dressing, season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve chilled.
===================

Here's a dessert if you're interested:

Pucker Up Crisps

1 cup sugar                    
1/4 cup lemon juice 
4 tb unsalted butter, room temperature       
2 tb heavy cream 
1/2 ts lemon oil                    
1 tb grated lemon zest 
1/2 ts baking soda                 
1 cup cake flour 
1 cup toasted, ground whole almonds with skins 

In a small saucepan, dissolve 1/4 cup of the sugar in the lemon juice over medium heat. Simmer until it thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Add the butter, stirring just until melted. Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the cream, lemon oil, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, lemon zest, baking soda, flour, and almonds and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour, until well chilled.  Preheat the oven to 350º.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/8-inch thick. Cut into strips, 1 1/2 inches wide. Cut 1 1/2 inch wide strips on the diagonal in the opposite direction, to make diamond shapes. Transfer the crisps to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until lightly golden on the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. While baking, the crisps will puff and crack slightly. Remove from the pan and cool on a rack before serving. When they are cool, they will be crisp.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 10:33:21 AM »

Help......

are people assigned a category? or does everyone just bring whatever they choose, thus you may end up with alot of desserts and no sides? or does each person bring three things - one appetizers, one side adn one dessert?

For sides (i like to stick to healthy choices): you can take almost any whole grain and add an olive oil/lemon/garlic marinade and then add some fun stuff (nuts and dried fruit, feta cheese-cherry tomatoes-olives, chicken chunks-cashews-apricots, sprouts, grated carrot, brocoli with soy sauce, etc). if you need specific recipes let me know.
I know that usually people serve those pasta salads and three bean salads so you will probably have more than enuf of those.

or just a big healthy bowl of lettuce greens with toppings (add toppings and dressing when you get there) or one of those 7-layer salads (greens, cherry tomatoes, corn, olive, etc). I also love green salads with fruit and a mustard/vinegrette dressing - bowl of greens, different kinds, a small amount of fruit (fresh figs, apricots, nectarines all go well with this - just not too much fruit), and use a mustard dressing.

try epicurious.com
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 10:37:17 AM by cicero »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 01:26:37 PM »
Fresh fruit salad is always a good choice. Stays fresh and it's something everyone likes. Plus you can take advantage of farmer's markets.

Strawberry Shortcake. This is also a good make-ahead dish. Just make sure you put your strawberrys in a resealable container (like Glad Plus containers) so the juice doesn't leak out. You can also make the shortcake up a day ahead or just get frozen poundcake. Cool Whip should be defrosted by the time you get to the party.

If you are a baker, you could make some pies or cobblers using some fresh fruit or berries that you find at the farmer's market. Peaches are in season! Then you can stop on the way to your friends house and pick up some vanilla ice cream.

Potato, macaroni salad and cole slaw are also good because you make them ahead. Or if you are really pressed for time, stop and get a couple pounds on the way.

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

WildChild@Heart

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 01:35:44 PM »
What kind of stuff have you brought before?  Since you aren't immediately opting for a repeat, I'm guessing you'd like something "different" so that'll help to know what kind of things you normally bring, and then what specific things you've already done.

Well let's see, I've taken those pinwheel appetizer things, a greek pasta salad, a carrot salad, a mexican side dish made with white hominy, ortega chiles and cheese,  homemade bar cookies, homemade cupcakes. The dishes aren't assigned and there are both adults and kids. There are about 60 to 70 people and somebody always brings the standards like potato/ mac and fruit salads, relish trays/cheese cubes, chips and dip, cake/cookies.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 01:38:55 PM by WildChild@Heart »

LissaR1

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 02:07:46 PM »
Strawberry Spinach Salad- it's my favorite, and it's easy.

Salad

2 bags of baby spinach
1 lb (one of the medium sized containers, bigger than a quart) strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/4 cup sliced almonds (if desired)

(You could even keep all the ingredients separate until you reach your destination)

Dressing (make ahead and toss the salad there)

1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp basalmic vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp minced red onion or shallot

Mix and dress

It's simple, easy, different, and incredibly tasty!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 03:05:47 PM »
A crockpot of baked beans!  You don't have to do them from scratch.  Use a few cans of Bush's, throw them in the crockpot. 

Cut 1/2 lb of bacon into small squares.  Fry, reserving the grease and put bacon in paper towels to drain off fat.
Fry 1 -2 onions coursely chopped in bacon grease.  Strain.
Add bacon and onions to beans in crockpot.
Add one jar of salsa - I always use hot, but you can choose which one you want out of mild, medium or hot.
A few squeezes of ketchup
A couple TB's of Brown Sugar
Cumin to taste.  I add lots and taste as I go.
Mix all, stirring frequently.

Cook in crock on high for several hours, stirring frequently.  You can do this the night before, but if you're doing it overnight, put them on low.  Your kitchen will smell amazing when you get up. 

These reheat very well and taste even better that way.  You can freeze any leftovers. 

I don't measure anything when I make these.  I go by taste.  These are always a huge hit and are very easy to make.  I stock up on Bush's when on sale.  I've tried with Van Kamps and they are not the same - VK's beans seem to be mushy. 

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 05:13:43 PM »
Strawberry Spinach Salad- it's my favorite, and it's easy.

Salad

2 bags of baby spinach
1 lb (one of the medium sized containers, bigger than a quart) strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/4 cup sliced almonds (if desired)

(You could even keep all the ingredients separate until you reach your destination)

Dressing (make ahead and toss the salad there)

1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp basalmic vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp minced red onion or shallot

Mix and dress

It's simple, easy, different, and incredibly tasty!

Lissa, I was going to suggest this, but you beat me to it!  :)  My recipe is slightly different.  I sugar the almonds in a non-stick pan, and the dressing has apple-cider vinegar and raspberry vinegarette instead of the balsamic vinegar.  It is requested at every single potluck I go to.

One word of caution, I don't know if Lissa has this problem, but if you put the dressing on too early the spinach becomes bitter and not very good.

I have also made an excellent fruit salsa that is just fruit, no tomatoes or anything, with cinnamon tortilla chips.  I also have a great recipe for a Raspberry-Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese frosting.  The cake may not travel well for three hours, though.

andrea007

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 08:36:29 PM »
Take some homemade salsa and chips.

I never get away from a party without having to give everyone the recipe for this salsa (men really love it)

Fresh Salsa

I large can tomatoes chopped (save liquid)
5-6 green onions chopped (greens and all)
1 small can sliced black olives
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 small can chopped green chili peppers
1 cup fresh yellow corn, scraped off cob (uncooked)- can use canned corn but fresh is much better
(Optional) 1/4 cup MOL chopped jalapeno peppers or 1/2 tsp Tabasco
(depends on how hot you like it- can omit completely)

Season with 1/4 cup each lemon juice, olive oil, and white vinegar and add back a bit of the tomato juice to desired consistency
add salt, pepper and dash of garlic powder

Let it marinate a few hours or even overnight-
Serve with Frito's or tostito chips - I like lime-tostito chips (salty chips are best, potato chips too soft to handle the bulk of this as a dip)
Take copies of the recipe to hand out- you will be asked

LissaR1

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »
One word of caution, I don't know if Lissa has this problem, but if you put the dressing on too early the spinach becomes bitter and not very good.

Yup- I do.  The spinach also wilts.  I highly recommend making the dressing and the salad separately at home and tossing it once you get there.  It is a bit of last minute prep, but it takes no real extra space.