Author Topic: Christmas Party Contribution Question  (Read 2323 times)

quietgirl

Christmas Party Contribution Question
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
I'm invited to a Christmas party on Friday & I've really been looking forward to it.  It's very casual and sounds like it'll be a huge crowd.  The hosts sent out an email invite (totally acceptable in this circle) and said that they'll have food and a variety of beer & soft drinks, and that we could feel free to bring a covered dish and/or refreshements "if you like".  So, no requirement.

Here's my dilemma.  I am a very "share-y" person.  In normal circumstances, I would definitely bring a bottle of wine & an appetizer or dessert item.  However, the next day (early in the am) is my final "Fit Test" for the 10 week exercise class I am taking.  I will not be drinking or eating at this party, and will leave very early.  I will still bring a bottle of wine, but I'm not sure what to do about the dish to share.  I could make cookies, but I'm thinking they are going to have a lot of cookies around.  I know I don't have to, but I feel like I should.

What do e-hellions think?  Make cookies or something similarly easy?  Or just bring the wine?

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: Christmas Party Contribution Question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »
You don't have to bring anything, but if you want, what about a veggie or fruit tray?
The status is not quo!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:59:09 AM »
Unless most of the guests have allergies or keep kosher, nobody says no to cold shrimp.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »
You don't have to bring anything, but if you want, what about a veggie or fruit tray?
This is great idea! Celery, broccoli, peppers, carrots all travel well and you could get a low fat ranch dip

Texas Mom

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »
You'd be fine take the bottle of wine.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »
Veggies & hummus? An olive tray? I think you'd be fine with just the wine though, unless you particularly wanted to.

Also, best of luck starting your new exercise regimen!
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

lowspark

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »
<snip>
we could feel free to bring a covered dish and/or refreshements "if you like".  So, no requirement.

<snip>
 I will not be drinking or eating at this party, and will leave very early. 

I don't think you need to bring anything.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »
You don't have to bring anything but if you want hummus and veggies or a sliced summer sausage and cheese ball with crackers.
93 93/93

quietgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

I spoke to the hosts again & I'm just going to bring a bottle of wine.  I'm guessing I'm only going to be there a couple of hours anyway.   >:(  So bummed that my final Fit Test has to be around the holidays!  Guess it could be worse....it could have been after the holidays! 

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 11:54:05 PM »
Have fun at your party, and hope the fit test goes well.

quietgirl

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 11:42:05 AM »
Have fun at your party, and hope the fit test goes well.

Party was a lot of fun!  I brought a bottle of wine, along with my own water bottle, stayed for a couple of hours & was home in time to get plenty of rest.

The fit test was not bad I improved in most areas.  The run outside was terrible though!  It was under 30 degrees and my run was 20 seconds slower that my mid-class test.  Pretty much what I expected though.   I do not tolerate the cold well and I was actually afraid I wouldn't be able to run the mile at all.